Wordfile produced with ConvertPDF.pvp cannot be opened

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

Wordfile produced with ConvertPDF.pvp cannot be opened

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,
I'm trying to convert a pdf to a word document using XChange Editor Build 318.0 and ConvertPDF.pvp version 1.0.0.
I can save the document as docx without any errors or warnings and a file is created.
However, when I try to open this file in Microsoft Word 2007, I receive an error that word has problems with the content of the document (without any further details).
With OpenOffice (4.1.2) I can open the document, but it doesn't contain any text and the graphics are not at all what they should be.

I've attached both the original pdf and the generated document.

Hope this helps figuring out what's going wrong. I really hope that the conversion function will work reasonably well soon, as this would make my life so much easier when exchanging tex-documents with word-only users.
Keep up the great work.
Attachments
testdocuments.7z
Archive containing pdf and docx
(326.48 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Wordfile produced with ConvertPDF.pvp cannot be opened

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello christian kuhlmann,

The problem is that Microsoft Word 2007 does not support the fonts with transparency. If you use the free version of the Editor to convert to Word then the Demo Labels are being added with text that has transparency, thus Word 2007 cannot open them. Please use Word of the newer version or buy a copy of the Editor.
I've attached a file that contains the conversion from your PDF made with the registered version of the Editor.

Cheers,
Alex
Attachments
GEM Klausur 2016-07.rar
(82.04 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi Alex,

thanks for looking into this.

First of all, I cannot open your file with my version of word - the same error occurs. I will try it on a newer Word version later. Do you know what the minimum version is for the converted files to work?
// Edit: I checked the files with Word 2010. With that I can open both my document and yours. However, I don't see any Demo Labels. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

Second, I do have a license for PDF editor (or to be more precise for PDF-XChange PRO version 6). I still have 726 maintenance days left and I verified that the license is recognized as valid by XChange Editor. Is there another license needed for this plugin? I could not find any field in the plugin-page that mentions the need of another license. I can use all the pdf editing features without Demo Labels being added and have just re-checked that. It works as it should. Would be great if there was a warning from the export plugin similar to the one that comes up when trying to save pdf files without a license.

Regards,
Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Chris,

I can open the above file with Word 2010 - so that would be the minimum version required.

If you have a license for the Pro bundle - this does include the Editor with all currently available plug-ins.

Regards,
Stefan
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi Stefan,

thanks for confirming that this is an issue with the Word version.

Maybe the "save as" dialog should say something like "Microsoft Word 2010+ document" to avoid confusion for other users.

Anyway, I like the new export capabilities even though the result (at least in my example) still needs manual work before it's ready to be handed over. It's still much easier than starting from nothing.

Regards,
Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Chris,

We will think about a notification that Word 2010 or newer is needed.
As for the manual work needed - yes unfortunately the two formats are quite different, and converting from Word to PDF it is much easier to keep the look, but the other way around not so (in the PDF you can place each and every object on it's own at any coordinates - in word there is a "flow" that needs to be taken into account). So some manual tweaking will be needed in complicated files, but if converting a mainly text PDF to word - the work required should be minimal.

Regards,
Stefan