Unable to Custom Toolbar

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
jeffp
User

Unable to Custom Toolbar

Post by jeffp »

I have one customer with a very strange issue. He is not able to Customize the PDF Editor toolbar. I cannot replicate this one any other machine.

He is running the latest DLL and he is on Win7 Pro.

He goes through the normal steps of View>>Unlock all Toolbars and then right-clicks into the toobar area and selects Customize toolbar. At this point, he goes to the Commands tab and tries to drag and drop a command onto an existing toolbar, but it won't drop anywhere into the toolbar. It seems to be locked out and the icon just show the red circle.

Again, I know how do to this since I do it on a number of computer here and other clients (and I have actually gotten on to his customer's computer to try myself). I've reset the commandbars to no avail. There seems to be something prohibiting him from customizing and I have no idea where else to look.

Have you run into anything similar or have any other ideas of what to try here?

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Custom Toolbar

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Jeff,

Could he be on a restricted Windows account - with insufficient privileges to make the necessary registry changes?

Cheers,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. I just had another customer with what may be a related issue.

This customer cannot open any PDF file in the Editor. The error message coming from the Editor says.

"You don't have permission to open this file.

Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission"

I then added a new blank document and tried to customize the toolbar but could not.

So your hunch of it being a permission issue may be correct. However, the customer is logged in under an account with full permissions. And the same PDF files can be opened just fine in Adobe Acrobat without any permissions error. I also can open the same PDF file on my machine using the Editor.

I also check the permissions on your DLL and the PDF files being opened and they look just fine.

I have no idea what else to try here, but it does appear to be some kind of permissions issue with the Editor. Again, only two reports of this so far but worried it may grow.

What would you have me look into next?

Using build 6.0.322.4
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

The next suspect would be an Antivirus blocking specifically our Editor (and not Adobe) - and in this way preventing proper access to the files it needs to read before it can render them. Is the AV for both affected users the same, and can you add our processes to a trusted list so that they don't get blocked?

Cheers,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Most recent customer had Panda Internet Security and I turned off the Data Shield (looks like it was blocking our main exe). Now it works.

So it looks like that was it. I'll try to find the first customer and do the same thing.

Thanks for the tip. We'll make sure we check AV programs as a normal step in our process now.

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to assist Jeff!

And glad you found what it was!

Cheers,
Stefan