PDF-Tools V6 Crashes on Batch OCR

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

residence
User

PDF-Tools V6 Crashes on Batch OCR

Post by residence »

When the software is trying to "OCRing" a big amount of files in "Batch processing", after a long time, the software crashes. When I try to process just a few files(100), I got sucess! Is that a way of processing a big amount(10000 files) without crashing?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Tools V6 Crashes on Batch OCR

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello residence,

Thanks for your post. This should not be happening. Can you please check and make sure that you are running build 318.1 of PDF Tools? And if you are - can you please check if the crash happens always on the same file, or arbitrary? Also - have you noticed what is the memory usage when the crash occurs?

Regards,
Stefan
residence
User

Post by residence »

Yes, i'm running the build 318.1. the crash happens always arbitrarily. I´ve a lot of folders with about 2000 files, the software always crashes when I try to "OCRing" all files in each folder.... but I always got success OCRing minor parts of the folders, in different moments... until complete all files in the folder. Sometimes I thing the application has a memory management problem.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello residence,

You are probably right. Could you please post a screenshot of your OCR settings as well as your tool's settings so that I can test this effectively?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello residence,

During my tests, I noticed that Tools simply hangs when trying to OCR all 4096 scanned files in a folder. I waited for nearly an hour before choosing "Stop". After clicking "Stop" Tools6 runs as normal.

Is this what you are seeing as well?

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
residence
User

Post by residence »

please, let me know if you need another screenshot.
Attachments
tela1.zip
(349.38 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
residence
User

Post by residence »

No. I receive the message as you can see in the attachment. Sorry, when I captured the screenshot, the software was configured in portuguese. But the messages says: "The PDF TOOLS STOPPED WORKING". I have no choice!
Attachments
crashes.zip
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi residence,

Thanks for the posts - Can you advise on roughly how many files you're able to OCR successfully? I was able to reproduce the same issue as Patrick, but not the crash that you're experiencing.

Also, can you please advise on your operating system specs. (e.g. Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, SP1), your processor and how much RAM you have installed?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

After some further testing, I found that the files were actually being processed (mind you very slowly), so I left this running over the weekend and this morning I have a crash report at 22%.

I will forward the crash dump to our dev team for investigation.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
residence
User

Post by residence »

My Computer Information are:

Windows 10 Home x64
Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory 8GB

I´m running some tests, these are the results:

- 1200 files - CRASHED
- 600 files - CRASHED
- 470 files - (not finished yeat)
residence
User

Post by residence »

All tests are made with "Accuracy: HIGH"
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello residence,

Thanks for the additional information!
Please try with Accuracy Medium as well - the result in some cases is even better than High, and should be quite faster and slightly lighter on machine resources too!

Regards,
Stefan
silver74
User

Post by silver74 »

Hello,

i have the same probleme, Pdf-tool's crached with more than 300 files (Accuracy Medium).

I think, pdf-tool's also crached if you have other files il the same folder. I think specialy the Thumbs.db files create this craches, but i'm not sure. I hope the dev team can resolved quickly the problem, i have to OCR'ed more than 10000 files actualy. :shock:

What was the bigest scan whithout problems on tours Pc's?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi guys.

We are working on this problem and will try to fix this issue in new upcoming build. Please wait..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Zenith Gurgel
User

Post by Zenith Gurgel »

Having the same problem here. I need "OCRing" a big amount of files. I tryed everything, changed to Windows 7 (32 and 64 bits), Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and the problem persists. It really seems to be a memory problem related with the amount of files to be OCRed. The software proccess all files, and, after all, saves all the files OCRed. Unfortunately, when this occur, we lost all the job. the algorithm is "all or nothing". Maybe if the software proccess one-by-one, saving each file before proccessing the next, it would solve the problem.

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I hope you can understand me.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Zenith Gurgel,

Thanks for the post and welcome to our forums. The new build should be available very soon to solve this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest