Command Line option to merge PDF files

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bgfullerton
User

Command Line option to merge PDF files

Post by bgfullerton »

I am new to this and cannot find an example of how to "Merge" pdf files using the command line. I have a folder containing 26 PDF files that have been collected during the past year. Now, at year end, I would like to use the command line to merge the 26 pdf files into one single pdf file. I have tried the "imagetopdf" option but it says it cannot find the image. An example would be very helpful.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Command Line option to merge PDF files

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I suppose you have downloaded and installed PDF-XChange PDF-Tools V6 from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools

To begin, I do not see a reason why you should use command line for a one time operation.

Simply start PDF-Xchange PDF-Tools V6 and click the Split/Merge icon.

In the panel at the right,
- at "Ask for source files", you can set what kind of files you like to merge (= PDF Documents)
- at "Split/Merge Documents", make sure to select "all pages to one document", and check "Show dialog for manual split/merge", so you can still decide - during the merge process - if there are particular pages that you like move or delete
- at "Change Document Properties", leave it like it is
- at "Save document", do not change anything
- at "Show files", leave the choice to "Open containing folder and select files"
Now, in the top left corner of the PDF-Tools window, click Run
Select the files that you like to merge
Click "Open"
A "Manual Split/Merge Documents" dialog box will show up. By clicking the little icon before the documents' icon, you can then still move or delete pages before clicking "OK" (at the bottom right).
The files will be merged and you will get the "Save As" dialog box to decide where you like to save and a name for the new file.
bgfullerton
User

Post by bgfullerton »

I am trying to use the command line because of the amount of time I need to do this operation.
More details are: these files are payroll stubs. Each year I will go thru and merge them into one file so the future ones do not get mixed in with the previous years group.
Last year, I actually did do the interface to do this, 150 time. I was trying to find an easier way to do it this year.
I thought if I could get the command line to work for one folder, I could just copy that command and change the source and destination for each line, and I would be done, even for future years. If this cannot be done, that is fine. I need something to do while watching football anyway.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ,

Thanks for the post - The command line options can be found here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxt6 ... ons_t.html

Using the run tool command, you can merge all of these files. However, I'm not sure offhand if a folder can be specified via the command line, so please try something like:
/RunTool SplitMergePDFs "C:\Path to folder"

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bgfullerton
User

Post by bgfullerton »

Thank you for the reply.
The following is my command:

"c:\program files\tracker software\pdf tools v6\pdfxtools.exe" /RunTool SplitMergePDFs "c:\2400-fullerton\2-paystub\2400-01_08_2016.pdf" "c:\2400-fullerton\2-paystub\2400-01_22_2016.pdf"

I am doing this in a testing format. That is why it is on my "C" drive.

I am getting an error stating that the "Tool requested to run is not found"

I am using version 6.0 Build 319.0
bgfullerton
User

Post by bgfullerton »

Found the reason for the error. I had the "s" on the end of "SplitMergePDF"
I am headed in the right direction now. I also found the "DumpTool" option which was helpful.

Thank you for getting me started.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bgfullerton,

Thanks for the info., glad that worked - Seems a little odd and counter-intuitive that the name of the tool in the UI is Split/Merge PDFs, but the command requires the 's' to be omitted. I'll bring that up with the devs.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com