Merge Pdf not working

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

saratojo
User

Merge Pdf not working

Post by saratojo »

I am having trouble merging two pdfs of horse racing information. I am trying to place the smaller file first in the new combined file. I have attached the two files. To preview, it seems the first page page of the second file does not appear until i click on the last page of the first file. Until then there is just the "in progress" wheel. I have to repeat that for all 27 pages to get the preview to show the pages, going one page at a time. When I then go to open the new file, it says the file is empty. (By the way, these two files merge into one perfectly when I use an on-line pdf merge service. Help would be appreciated.
Attachments
ppBEL0199.pdf
(756.54 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
AQU20120316.pdf
(80.92 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Merge Pdf not working

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi saratojo,

Thanks for the post - I'm not seeing the problem here. Can you please post a screen-shot of the Help --> About dialog?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
saratojo
User

Post by saratojo »

Problem is the two files won't merge into one. Only an empty file gets created.
I'm reattachiung to two files in a zip file.
What help, about screen?

Maybe it's because the files are password protected. But they do merge when using an on-line merge service.
Attachments
files.zip
(796.37 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello saratojo,

Please note that if the security settings of a PDF file do not allow you to change it - you will not be able to add pages to it or merge it with another file without the original password.
If you are using the latest version of PDF Tools 6 - when you try to merge these two files, a password prompt will show. Please enter the file's security password and you will be able to merge the file.

The Help -> About screen shows the version of your application and it is located in your main menu.

Regards,
Radi
Attachments
About.jpg
saratojo
User

Post by saratojo »

I am using the latest version.
No password prompt appears during the merge process.
Close this ticket as I am now using other software that merges the files just fine.
Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Both of these documents is password protected. However, if you are not seeing a prompt, I would like to further investigate this issue. Could you please go to Options> Export all Settings and please post the settings file here in a zip folder.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi saratojo.

Its sad that you are so frustrated by our "Split/Merge PDF" feature, but it looks as though our tool works correctly for your case too. I can explain why: Both your documents are password-protected and extracting/copying pages from them isn't permitted by the document security settings. Only one way is possible to merge them - you must know and specify the special permission-password(called owner-password) for each of them during the merge process. In that case the extracting pages and merge of them will be allowed and should complete successfully. The good and correct PDF-tool must obey the document security settings (i.e - must obey the rights of author of the document).

JFYI: Adobe Acrobat also requires passwords to merge your pdfs...

If our tool is not working correctly even when you specified the valid passwords please provide such passwords for us to reproduce and fix the problem..

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
JanneLindell
User

Post by JanneLindell »

Hi

I have a similar problem. Merging two files other secured other not. Result PDF is only one file (=not secure file) plus Error message.
See attachment. Version 6.0 build 317.1 (With much earlier versions this worked fine)
Secured file is with password. PDF tools is not asking any password while merging process.
Attachments
merge_prob.jpg
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

JanneLindell wrote:Hi

I have a similar problem. Merging two files other secured other not. Result PDF is only one file (=not secure file) plus Error message.
See attachment. Version 6.0 build 317.1 (With much earlier versions this worked fine)
Secured file is with password. PDF tools is not asking any password while merging process.
Hi,
as I can see from your screenshot you are using older version of PDF Tools. Try to update to current 322.7. I've just checked on my computer and merging two documents ( one secured, one is not secured) worked fine. I was asked for onwer password and both documents was merge into one
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
JanneLindell
User

Post by JanneLindell »

Thanks DenisO for info. How can I update. My PDF Tools says no updates...see attachment.
Attachments
upd.jpg
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

You can get current version here https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello All,

Thanks for the link Denis!

However if you have a license for PDF Tools JanneLindell, and that license is with expired maintenance - you might not be able to use the latest build.
If in doubt - please e-mail us to support@pdf-xchange.com, as discussing licensing issues over public forums is not exactly recommended :)

Regards,
Stefan