Space bar Displays @ sign

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Becka2020
User

Space bar Displays @ sign

Post by Becka2020 »

Hi,
When editing a pdf document - If I hit 'space' it automatically inserts an '@' sign - can someone tell me how to remove the @ sign and just have a normal space between words?
thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Space bar Displays @ sign

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Becka2020

Does this also happen when adding a new comment, such as the typewriter? If it does not, then the issue is likely caused by errors in the font that the Document you are editing is using. If it does, there may be another issue that will require further investigation.
Can you please ensure that you have the latest version and build of the Editor installed (8.0.336.0) and if the issue is still present there, Please send us a copy of the document in question.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Becka2020
User

Post by Becka2020 »

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply, I do have the latest version and build of the Editor installed (8.0.336.0) but the issue is still present. It is not present when I use Typewriter, but using Typewriter is a different font to the one on the document.
I'm afraid I cannot forward the document as it's a confidential document :(
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Becka2020

No worries, The typewriter item is likely enough to confirm the issue. Unfortunately the "font" in use currently is likely not a "real" font, but a modified subset or an automatically created group of characters. Basically, a normal font would take the displayed characters "QWERTY" and properly assign them to the relevant "QWERTY" keys on your keyboard.

A "fake" font, being automatically created, sees the these letters first, but has nothing (or very little) to associate them with. Sometimes only partial data is available, so many basic letters are fine, but some characters appear jumbled. While visually it displays "QWERTY", the code behind it may instead say "ABCDEF" This is extrapolated as you go further through the document, the first time a space character appeared, it may just happen to be indexed as the @ symbol because that was next in line. That is usually caused by how the document was created, or corruption during longtime storage. It is also what causes @ to appear whenever Space is pressed during editing in your case.

Some applications do this, and unfortunately it is not something that we have much (if any) control over. I am certain that if you change the font of the existing text, or copied the text from this document, and paste it into notepad or another text application, it would look ...questionable... to say the least.

My suggestion in this case is to recreate the document. Depending on the software you created the document from, it could be a side effect of its printing/pdf convert methods, and you simply need to use the opposite function to generate a proper file.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Becka2020
User

Post by Becka2020 »

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com