Selecting Text And Objects In Purchased PDF

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Danno
User

Post by Danno »

Hi. I'm evaluating the Pro version and am trying to modify a PDF that I purchased. However, I can't find a way to select a pre-existing object or text to edit it. Can someone point me to some instructions to do this?

Thanks,

Dan.
PDF_Object_2021-11-04_18-32-03.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Selecting Text And Objects In Purchased PDF

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

First, verify if you can select text in your PDF-document, by using the Select Text icon in the Home-ribbon.
So, you are sure that it does not go about "scanned" pages, that are not immediately editable.

In case you are able to select the text, then you can edit it by using the Edit icon in the Home-ribbon.
In the shortcut-menu that appears, make sure that "Edit Text in Blocks" is marked with a check-mark, and then click "Text".

Now, you will see rectangles around the different text blocks. To start to edit text in such a text block, just click it once and then click in the text. Modify the text as you like. To stop editing, click again the Select Text icon in the Home-ribbon.

In the same manner, you can edit the comments/annotations in the document, by using the "Select Comments" icon.

I hope this helps.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Danno
User

Post by Danno »

Willy,

Thanks for the help.

I found the problem last night. It turns out that the original PDF had one image for the whole document, not individual objects. So selecting an object did work, but the object was an image the size of the document.

I liked PDF-XChange so much that I purchased the Pro version with 3 years support. Then I created a new, customized PDF using the original PDF as a template. (Since I purchased the PDF for personal use, there is no copyright violation.). Other than learning the PDF-XChange UI idiosyncrasies, the PDF creation process went smoothly.

I’ve needed a good PDF editor for years. PDF-XChange fills that need extremely well!

Again, thanks for the help.

Best regards,

Dan.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent news and we very much appreciate your business and comments !
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Danno

I wanted to offer some follow-up here. In cases where you find that a page in your document is entirely image based (or otherwise has content that you can visually perceive as text, but is not truly "text", we also offer an "Enhanced OCR" engine which may help to add text to the file for you. This tool is located on the "Convert" tab, and should be included with a modern PDF-Xchange PRO license which you mention having.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Danno
User

Post by Danno »

Daniel,

Many thanks for the great tip. I saw the OCR comment on the main website, but wondered what I would use it for in this context.

One of the issues that I constantly run into are PDFs that contain useful information, but it is buried in an image. Converted to text makes it much easier to copy and save to Evernote as part of my notes. :D

Best regards,

Dan.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

:) Glad Dan could assist
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America