Move form-fields and text-fields together?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

Move form-fields and text-fields together?

Post by Peter2 »

Maybe a simple thing ...

I have a lot of form-fields and text-fields in my PDF, and I want to move them together from A to B. Sounds simple, but ..

my problem:
I can only select (some) forms OR some texts - but I could not find a way to select (and move ..) forms AND texts.

Is it possible?
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Move form-fields and text-fields together?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Peter2,

These are two distinct types of content in the PDF file and as such - you need to have a specific tool active to be able to work with one or the other and as such you can not have them all selected at the same time!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

It's a pity. For final "layout work" - moving, positioning, .. - it would be very helpful.

Thanks for the answer.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

You know Peter, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I hit this particular limitation fairly frequently.

Essentially I want to "group" a form field with some text as a label, and yes, when I want to move them I want to move them together.

Last time I asked about this I was told it's not easy, but I will have another conversation because if there is a way, I want it too!

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
TheWiz
User

Post by TheWiz »

Let's see if we can't make that wheel squeak a little louder.

This is a really bad limitation. Not being able to move text and fields together at the same time basically means that we're constantly having to go through a move / align / revise cycle over and over. That's awful and triples the amount of time that has to be spent editing a document. As a software developer myself, the claim that this can't be done rings a bit hollow. As far as the UI is concerned, the rendering of content boxes and fields are very similar. The only reason that comes to mind that would prevent this from being implemented easily would be license enforcement. That is, the standard version lets you edit text but the "Plus" version is required for editing fields.

Tracker has been great with supporting and improving their software over the many years that I've been a subscriber. It's just really odd that this hasn't been addressed.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, TheWiz

Thank you for the continued support, The Dev team is aware of the need for this feature, however, I can assure you that becuase of the restrictions the PDF Specification place on object formatting, this is much more complicated than it seems at the surface.

We do now plan to offer it in the future, but it is a highly complex (and long term) development project, and so I cannot offer any form of a timeline. If I had to hazard a personal guess, a feature like this may be a large enough project to classify as a flagship feature for a major version release (not likely version 11, to dismiss any undue expectations from my guesses).

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com