Command Line Issues

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dustinbagley
User

Command Line Issues

Post by dustinbagley »

I'm trying to use the following to combine the pdf files from a folder and save then as a separate file in another folder:

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=no;showrep=no "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input\" /Output:folder=\"C:\TEMP\Output\";filename=\"testfile.pdf\"

It's not working. when it runs, something pops up really quickly like its doing something but there is no output file. The most I can get out of this is when I run the shorter version without the output:

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=no;showrep=no "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input\"

In which case it saves the combinations to "document.pdf" in the Input folder. I'm assuming "document.pdf" is a default and the Input folder because it was the last one accessed. Is there an issue with my syntax? Thanks
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Re: Command Line Issues

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hello, dustinbagley,

First of all, could you please provide which version of PDF-Tools you are using?

Then, how is your Split/Merge tool configured? You can provide a screenshot, or make a tool export by right-clicking on the tool and selecting 'Export Selected Tools'.

Also, you can try running the tool without the 'showui=no' and 'showrep=no' options. This way, you will see the user interface, which can help you identify the step at which your tool is failing.

Best regards,
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
dustinbagley
User

Post by dustinbagley »

Of course. the version I have is 10.1.0 build 380. and here is a screen shot of my tool settings. thanks.
2023-09-25 15_06_07-Scott JACKSON _ Microsoft Teams Classic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello dustinbagley,

Please try to update to build 381 - as there was a bug with Split/Merge in 380 that we did address with 381:
Fixed an issue that resulted in incorrect 'Split/Merge Documents' dialog box content when 'Batch Processing Mode' and 'Show Dialog for Manual Split/Merge' options are enabled.

Kind regards,
Stefan
dustinbagley
User

Post by dustinbagley »

Thank you for the information. I have updated to 381 however, I'm not seeing any difference in behavior. I've also tried showing the ui and the rep as you recommended. The rep brings up the tool report which says there are no messages to show and the ui doesn't indicated that is has taken on the output from the line:
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=yes;showrep=yes "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input\" /Output:folder=\"C:\TEMP\Input\";filename=\"testfile.pdf\"
Because the folder entry lists: 'Use source folder as destination' where you might expect it to read 'C:\TEMP\Input\ ect.
2023-09-26 08_39_13-PDF-Tools.png
Could there be something else I'm missing? thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, dustinbagley

Thank you for the added information here, From what I can see, this may be a simply typo, you mention in your first post:
dustinbagley wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:36 pm It's not working. when it runs, something pops up really quickly like its doing something but there is no output file. The most I can get out of this is when I run the shorter version without the output
I expect that since this works without the /Output option being used, there is something specific to that part of the command which is causing the issue.
Looking closer at your command, I see that you have an extra \ before the Path in both the Folder and Filename which should not be necesasry. Could you try removing those, and see if that helps?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
dustinbagley
User

Post by dustinbagley »

Thank you for continuing to help me with this. I tried without the slashes:

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=no;showrep=yes "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input\" /Output:folder="C:\TEMP\Input\";filename="testfile.pdf\"

and I agree with you that it looks incorrect syntax. However, that is what's listed on another post in this forum:

viewtopic.php?p=169721&hilit=pdft.tool. ... DF#p169721
2023-09-26 10_24_17-Command Line Help - Tracker Software Products.png
In any case, I still not having any luck with it.
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hello, dustinbagley

As Stefan mentioned, you indeed have a typo in your command, but he missed the target a bit :)

The unnecessary backslash is in the input path. It should be "C:\TEST\Input" instead of "C:\TEST\Input\".
There are several rules for composing the CLI command. The right combination of quotes and backslashes can be tricky in some cases.

Why do you need to place backslashes before quotes in the /Output command and not place them in the input path? This is because the input path is a standalone argument of the ".../PDFXTools.exe" command, while paths in the /Output command are the sub-arguments of /Output command. These backslashes and quotes help the PDF Tools application correctly interpret commands and their arguments..

So, the right command in your case should be:
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=no;showrep=yes "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input" /Output:folder="C:\TEMP\Input\";filename="testfile.pdf\"

Best regards,
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
dustinbagley
User

Post by dustinbagley »

Vladimir,

Thank you for sticking with this. I finally go it to work. It wasn't with exactly as you listed so I'll put it down here for anyone else so see.

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe"/RunTool:showui=no;showrep=no "pdft.tool.splitMergePDF" "C:\TEMP\Input" /Output:folder="C:\TEMP\Input";filename="testfile.pdf\"

I was sure I needed those trailing slashes on the paths because in the other thread I mentioned, it seemed like their issue was they were missing them and it didn't work until they added them in. i must have read it wrong. Anyway, thanks for the help.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, dustinbagley

Glad to hear you were able to get to the bottom of it!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com