Add "non-browsers" as "search engine" PDF-xce keyboard shortcut [Suggestion]

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Add "non-browsers" as "search engine" PDF-xce keyboard shortcut [Suggestion]

Post by MedBooster »

This functionality is really good, but I have some suggestions on how you could improve it
I like that "TEST" text does not have to be at the end like it is here:
https://next.amboss.com/us/search?q=TEST

I would suggest that you allow users to set a keyboard shortcut to open the drop-down menu:
image(1).png
and using the arrow keys to navigate up and down, and Enter to select the search engine/site...

It would also be cool if they would be sorted by recency!

[/b]

AHK script I made with similar functionality:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122359&p=547849#p547849
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Add "non-browsers" as "search engine" PDF-xce keyboard shortcut [Suggestion]

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

The "TEST" text is present as a replacement string, so that our software can send a web link and know where in the URL that search engine is expecting search terms to appear. As not all search engines place this text in the same location, it is important to have the example present in a way to allow this replacement (and why we mention it is case sensitive).

As for keyboard access to the dropdown list, I can certainly pass the suggestion along for you. Hopefully we can see this considered in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Re: Add "non-browsers" as "search engine" PDF-xce keyboard shortcut [Suggestion]

Post by MedBooster »

image.png
still waiting for an option to activate the drop down menu with a keyboard shortcut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, MedBooster

Thank you for the bump, I will followup and see if there is progress on this.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

and while we're at it, what do the "locks" with the "settings cog" mean in the preferences "search providers" menu?
Maybe it would be nice if you could choose to enable the list to be sorted by recency.

And... what does the turn off all search providers toggle button do? They seem to still be visible, are they just not working? – From the drop-down menu?
image.png
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

When you click the "Turn off all search providers" and then hit apply - this would hide them from the context menu - so they would not be available for you to use to do the actual searches.

As for the padlocks - those indicate that you can not make changes to the default search provides we've offered. The button at the top of the window says "View..." for those and changes to "Edit..." for custom providers you might have added:
image.png
vs
image(1).png
Kind regards,
Stefan