Is it possible to start the app with a saved session?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

I have saved a session of 8 tabs.

During the working day, I may open other files and close them. Thus, when I close the app, a different set of files is open.

But whenever I restart pdf xchange editor, I'd not like to start with these files (aka "last open session").
Rather, I'd like to load a saved session on start.

If I have multiple saved sessions, I should be able to select which session to start with.

Is this possible?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to start the app with a saved session?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Raindrops,

It is indeed possible.
This is the page from the manual describing the sessions we offer:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe10/sessions_ed.html

Kind regards,
Stefan
Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

Thanks for the prompt response!

I had already gone through that page, and tinkered with the UI also.

Specifically, I checked the Manage Sessions dialog for this control.
(Logically, this control should have been there.)

But I was not able to find what I wanted.

What I need is automatic loading of the selected session when the app starts
(i.e., the session should be loaded on launch by default).

In other words, pdf xchange editor should discard the last open session and start with the chosen saved session automatically.
I should not have to select a session manually.

Is that possible?
Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

image.png
I also checked out this section in the Preferences dialog.

It does not have a drop-down list of saved sessions to load when the application starts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

To me it seems like it is not yet possible at this time (using version 10.2.1 - build 385) to select a specific session (via the User Interface) and let start PDF-XChange Editor with it. +1 for a feature request for this.

What you can do at this moment, is save a session to a file (*.xcesession) and after that, double-click on it to start.

Does that help ?

Kind regards.
PDF-XChange Editor - Restore sessions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

Well, the manual method to launch a session requires two clicks:
1. Click on the File menu.
2. Click on the saved session.

Thus, saving to a file would not save any effort!
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Double-click on the *.xcesession file in Windows File Explorer just requires one double-click, instead of four clicks for
1) starting PDF-XChange Editor
2) open the File-menu
3) click Sessions
4) click the required session

It is maybe not much of a win, but you were asking for it.

Kind regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

As such, what I am asking actually saves two clicks (sometimes I do not touch the default set).

But it would be nice to have this feature. Not very essential, of course!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello all,
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: ↑Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:31 am To me it seems like it is not yet possible at this time (using version 10.2.1 - build 385) to select a specific session (via the User Interface) and let start PDF-XChange Editor with it. +1 for a feature request for this.
I am not certain what you mean by "not yet possible", selection of sessions on start is not planned or intended. If you need to select a specific session, "File > open > sessions" is the way to go. The "restore last session" functions is specifically intended to reopen the documents that were opened when you last closed the application normally, nothing more, and it never has done any more than that.
Adding a selection dialog to this process would slow the app open process for everyone who has it enabled, every time they open the app, which is not ideal.
I am sorry to say that such an implementation is highly unlikely, as you point out, simply double clicking on a session file would more than suffice to cover this use case, and is both faster, and less "obtrusive" to daily use.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Sorry for my late reply.

What I meant to say is, that instead of "Restore Last Session when application starts", you could also think about "Restore a Specific Session when application starts". That is not yet possible. Maybe it will be in the future (depending on the demand) ?

The user should be able to select a specific session in the list with available sessions and save this setting.
Then the next time that PDF-XChange Editor will be started, it will start with that specific session.

It was not supposed to select a session during the startup of PDF-XChange Editor.

I hope my explanation is clear now?

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: ↑Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:42 pm The user should be able to select a specific session in the list with available sessions and save this setting.
Then the next time that PDF-XChange Editor will be started, it will start with that specific session.

It was not supposed to select a session during the startup of PDF-XChange Editor.
I still don't quite see how this is not already accomplished by (or how it differs from) saving a session file, for Double-click-to-open later on?
If perhaps you mean that you want to manually choose a "session" before close, so that on next open of the editor (without variables), that session specifically would be restored... That is also already possible, simply by opening that session immediately before you close the Editor.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for your answer Daniel.

A session can indeed be saved to a file and later be opened by a double-click on that file.

Select and set a particular session in the UI ("Sessions") of PDF-XChange Editor itself to start with at the next start is not really possible, except if you first open that session immediately before you close the Editor, like you say... but you have to think about it.

Otherwise, you can always simply start the application and once it is started, select and open the desired session.

So, the answer to the question in Subject ("Is it possible to start the app with a saved session?") is yes.

I guess that other ways to achieve a similar result will not be considered, only to win a few clicks?

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

I just don't know that understand what exactly it is you are trying to describe, I cannot really converse with the dev team when I do not know how to describe it, and the only way I can inperpret this right now, does not seem to have the merits you desire.

It sounds like what you want it just a way to flag a document for use when you next open it, but, opening the session before closing would be 5 clicks (file > open> sessions > [choose session] > close).
Any implementation to "flag a session" for this same process would result in either 6 clicks (File > open > sessions > > mark as restore point > close), or, a teensy tiny button on the side, like the pin button. Then it would remain 5 clicks, but with more time wasted trying to locate the small button, and lining up a precise click so you don't accidentally open the session instead.

And that is before we consider users who click this button, then change their mind (how do we undo this? more additional clicks, and extra depths to the menu?). Beyond that is users who leave the software open for days/weeks on end, if one of them clicked this, then forgot about it... lets just say it would lead to some complaints about things not working properly, and alot of wasted time troubleshooting an intended feature that leaves no obvious traces of use.

Now, I am hoping that I am just misunderstanding what you are requesting, but the way I am interpreting this currently, seems rife with potential issues, easy user mistakes, and does not actually save the clicks you are wanting it to save.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

What I finally tried to describe, is another way to achieve the same goal as with the creation of an xcesession-file:
save a session and restore that session when the application starts.

Instead of saving the session to an external file, you can save it internally so that it appears in the "Manage Sessions"-dialog-box.
There you could have the possibility to select a session to restore the next time that the application starts (missing feature at this time). Starting the desired session immediately before you quit the Editor, is only a work-around in my opinion.
I can not explain it better or otherwise, sorry.

But, I must admit, with this proposed other way of working, there are not really clicks to win.

For my part, you can close this case. It was a good idea for a request, but it will probably complicate things where it is not needed.

@Raindrops
Maybe a last word from the starter of this topic?

Kind regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Raindrops
User

Post by Raindrops »

Dear all,

Sorry for the late response, but I thought the matter was already closed! :)
But it is great to see the experts debate this so conscientiously!πŸ‘ŒπŸ½

At the end of the day, the benefit is very marginal, and selecting a session is easy.
From the start, I was conscious of looking for a very fine incremental feature.
I don't miss it, really.

So if the developers won't rather fix it, I am ok with that! πŸ™πŸ½

I am grateful for this great product!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin