Porting docx to pdf and continuation to work with this document

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mik
User

Porting docx to pdf and continuation to work with this document

Post by mik »

Hello,
I created a few pages in MS Word 2016. The pages mostly comprise text and pictures.
There's a need to lock already written pages content and continue adding of information.
Since MS Word can't ensure proper locking of existing pages I decided to convert already completed pages into pdf,
and continue adding of information in pdf editor.
What do you think is it possible? Silly question, it's possible of course.
How to do that in the best way? :) Can I open entire Docx in Editor?

Any advice on this matter please.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Porting docx to pdf and continuation to work with this document

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Mik,

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but unfortunately I will have to let you down. It is also not possible in PDF to lock only specific pages of a document while leaving other editable. In theory it could be done, but only by using a "DRM" (digital rights management) system, meaning that it could be bypassed simply by using software which is not configured to work with that system, as such, it is not something that we will be considering implementing either.

The best workaround I can offer you here, is to place "password security" on your document to prevent Editing, and keep the password handy. That way the entire document is locked, but you can unlock it for editing when needed.

As for converting from word to our Editor, there are a few ways this can be accomplished. The easiest is to drag and drop the Docx document directly into the Editor, it will convert the file for you directly, and upon saving will be in PDF format. You can also use one of our printers, and simply print from Word to the printer, or us our Office addin to directly convert from office if you have the Standard printer.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mik
User

Post by mik »

Hi again, Daniel,

"locking page's content" I meant, don't allow the particular page content to move from one page to another while adding a content in previous page, for example. Actually what usually happens in MS Word.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello mik,

In that case, it would certainly be possible, unlike Word's "flow based" document structure, PDF is Coordinate based, so each piece of content is usually a separate entity, and in almost all cases it is not possible even for content on the same page to affect other items on that page accidentally.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pmThe easiest is to drag and drop the Docx document directly into the Editor, it will convert the file for you directly
I use Libreoffice instead of Microsoft Office and when I try to open a .docx with the PDF-XChange Editor application I get the following error message
Cannot open the document. An error occurred while opening a document from the file %filename%.docx.
Error [PXVLib]: Cannot start Microsoft Office Application required to open the file.
Microsoft Word error code: 0x800401f3
At the same time, .fb2 and .txt files open properly
PDF-XChange Editor: Creating PDF from text...
Converting file: %filename%.fb2
(if opening an xml document as plain text, with tags displayed, can be considered correct).

Apparently, PDF-XChange applications do not support LibreOffice Writer. You stated this directly in the "DOC[x] to PDF - MS Word required (and I have LibreOffice)" thread (viewtopic.php?t=35504, 2020-12-31). Is it possible to hope for a change in the situation?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

It is unlikely that we would be supporting Libre Office any time soon. As per the message - we need MS Office to be able to read the internal file structure so that we can then manipulate it further.

Kind regards,
Stefan