Opening PDF documents from Google Drive does not work

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Opening PDF documents from Google Drive does not work

Post by Jensen Head »

I'm testing the Google Drive Access plugin:
  • Click File / Open / Open from URL
  • Paste a link to a PDF document like https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vCBhgf..../view and press Enter.
  • After that, I get what looks like a browser screenshot of this document instead of the actual document (in this case consisting of eight pages).
My main browser is Mozilla Firefox, if that matters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MedBooster
User

Re: Opening PDF documents from Google Drive does not work

Post by MedBooster »

I just have the Google Drive program which adds a new Disk (G:) for Google Drive in file explorer on Windows 10 and that's working great. Syncs well, with changes made in PDF-XCE

Is there a Google Drive plug-in in PDF-XCE itself, I am not sure what you are referring to...

How would you be able to open a file via a link with PDF-XCE to something that is password protected/in a cloud storage account anyway...
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

MedBooster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:36 pmI just have the Google Drive program which adds a new Disk (G:) for Google Drive in file explorer on Windows 10 and that's working great
I also use the Google Drive app for Windows. It is not related to the Google Drive Access plugin for PDF-XChange Editor:
_
2024-03-11_10-55-40.png
_
You can read more about working with PDF-XChange Editor with cloud documents in the article "Working with Cloud files in the PDF-XChange Editor" — https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... nge-Editor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Maybe the link is to some preview version of that file?
To me it appears like the correct two page document is opened and the thumbnails pane on the left shows that. It's just that this PDF was generated ... strangely.

Can you test with another link to the file?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

This is really strange. Now, instead of the first page of a document with the Google Drive interface, I get a wizard for granting your application access rights to Google Drive for the selected Google account — drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bjhFzqbglReomD6I6BlVL6VzKHn7fzLn (screenshots).

Of course, I allow all access and select the exact Google account from which the PDF documents were downloaded. However, every attempt ends with the same errors:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:57254.
• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
• If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
• If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.
Try Again
Unable to add place
Unable to add new place for the next reason: Error [System]: Неопознанная ошибка.
Cannot open the document.
An error occurred while opening a document from the file: (link to PDF-file)
Error [System]: Unspecified error.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

I cannot seem to reproduce this issue on this end, using Edge, Chrome, or Firefox for sign in...
From your description, the issue comes about at the end of the authentication stage, where Firefox has been used to sign in to Google Drive, and is supposed to return a token for continued connection to the Editor. If Firefox is experiencing issues performing that task, perhaps you have security in place preventing it from communicating with our Editor?

That is all I can think of that could cause the first error message you mention. And the first would lead to both the second and third messages appearing, as it indicates that the editor was unable to get the required connection token to do either action.

One other option, please try changing your default browser, to Edge or Chrome, and see if you are able to login properly using them.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I tried to give permission to access Google Drive my Google account by Microsoft Edge 109.0.1518.55 and Google Chrome 120.0.6099.130. In both cases, the browser notified me "Please Return to the Application", and the application itself displayed the same errors that I quoted above.

eMail:
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 21:47
Subject: Security alert
PDF-XChange Editor was granted access to your Google account
If you did not grant access, you should check this activity and secure your account.
Check activity
You can also see security activity at https://myaccount.google.com/notifications
You received this email to let you know about important changes to your Google Account and services.
© 2024 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
myaccount.google.com/connections —
Third-party apps and services
Keep track of your connections
You shared data with these third-party apps and services. Find out more
8 total apps and services
(...)
PDF-XChange Editor (See your profile info; See, edit, create and delete all of your Google Drive files)
(...)
So, I conclude, it's not about the browser.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, Jensen Head

so is it not working even with the Editor permission having been granted? That is all I have ever had to do for it to work.

Where does this leave you? Sorry if I am being obtuse here...

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com