Feature Request: Resize Pages - Saved Settings Apply to Page Range  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Feature Request: Resize Pages - Saved Settings Apply to Page Range

Post by mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap »

The resize pages menu allows me to save settings. However, the saved settings do not apply to the page range. For example, I can save the settings with the Page Range set to Pages: All, Subset: All. However, when I select the saved settings again it does not remember the page range settings. The page range settings just don't change.
image.png
Edit: I think this is annoying to me because I use thumbnails to move around in a pdf document. However, if a thumbnail is selected when I open the resize menu, the default page range is set to "Selected" and does not change to "All" when I select my saved settings. This means I have to make sure I select the saved settings I want AND change the page range settings to All.
I can also see the flip side of the coin, which is that a person may want to select a thumbnail and then when the resize menu opens have the saved settings only apply to the selected page.
Maybe the best solution is to have a checkbox in the save settings window that allows saving of the page range.
image(1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Features I really want:
1. Fully customizable toolbars: https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=167585
2. Sanitize documents w/o being forced into save as dialog (Acrobat has this!): https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=156130
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Resize Pages - Saved Settings Apply to Page Range

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap,

Those settings are not saved - as those are applied towards the current document you are working on. There would be different total number of pages in your files, and you would also likely need to apply the specified resize to a specific and different subset for each file.

Yes - if you have a page selected in the thumbnails pane - that will make the "Selected" option the default. Please just be aware that you always need to check the page range is the correct one when applying operations to pages - as this behaviour will likely affect other dialogues where you need to select a page range as well.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

This thread raises an area for possible functionality improvement. As PDF-XCE is now, if Thumbnails are "Selected," when using a Tool such as Resize Pages the default page range is Selected. This can be a bit annoying when the User intends to resize the current page but the current page has not been selected/highlighted. I don't know how to get around that but I am frequently finding myself resizing the selected pages when I really just wanted to resize just the current page.

As for being able to save sets of User-defined or specified Selected pages, I can see where something like that could be useful not just in the Resize Pages tool, but also in other Tools such as Duplicate Pages. But as this thread highlights, there is no current ability to do that and that might be a useful functionality for devteam to consider.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

The only time that the "selected" option is enabled by default upon opening these dialogs while the Thumbnails pane is in focus or if it was the last used option, and you have already selected pages in the thumbnails pane.
If you have selected any other content, than the last used option will be enabled (infact, if you haven't selected anything in the thumbnails pane yet, the "selected" option isn't even available):
PDFXEdit_uy1KjoPf9R.gif
It is quite common these days for features to adapt their initial settings to the method in which they were activated, to streamline the most commonly needed actions in the process. If you do not wish to use the "selected" pages option, you can simply switch to the "all", "current", or "custom" options after the dialog is opened (if you select custom, you will find that your previous define page range is still retained).

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:38 pm ...
It is quite common these days for features to adapt their initial settings to the method in which they were activated, to streamline the most commonly needed actions in the process. If you do not wish to use the "selected" pages option, you can simply switch to the "all", "current", or "custom" options after the dialog is opened (if you select custom, you will find that your previous define page range is still retained)...
You might be surprised to learn that I know all that. And I know that the Selected option only appears if the User has selected some thumbnails. But it can, and does, occur that a User may want a Tool operation applied to a page that is in the current window but not selected whilst other thumbnails have been selected. Yes, if I am (unusually) smart enough to be aware that the page in the active window is not selected, I should use the Current page option. As a fool, I would aspire to have the product a little more foolproof.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

The trouble is that there is no real winning combination here to avoid user error. If we make it prefer the "current" page as you suggest, someone else will have the inverse issue that you are having right now. If we prevent memory of the "last used" option, that would confuse a number of users, and if we prevent "active reselection", that is another group slighted.

Should we see large demand for this to change, we may do so, but as it stands, the implementation of the selected option, and its use, were highly requested, and very few have suggested it change again before now.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:54 pm Those settings are not saved - as those are applied towards the current document you are working on. There would be different total number of pages in your files, and you would also likely need to apply the specified resize to a specific and different subset for each file.
You could still implement my suggestion, but it would require a bit of logic written into it. There is no problem with saving the Page Range settings if Pages is set to "All" or "Current" and Subset is set to "All" or "Odd." The settings would work no matter how many pages the file has.

Things get a bit more complicated when Pages is set to "Selected" or "Custom." In the case of "Selected," if one or more pages are selected when the settings are applied, then Pages would be set to selected. If no pages are selected when the settings are applied, then it can default to "Current." In the case of "Custom," when the settings are applied, it will show custom with the page number in the box being the page number of the current page.

If Subset is set to "Even," then it will be set to even when the settings are applied unless there is only one page in the PDF file, in which case it would be set to "All."

With all that said, I'm not sure this change is worth the effort. If you want to work on something more important, focus on those in my signature line.
Features I really want:
1. Fully customizable toolbars: https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=167585
2. Sanitize documents w/o being forced into save as dialog (Acrobat has this!): https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=156130
mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Re: Feature Request: Resize Pages - Saved Settings Apply to Page Range  SOLVED

Actually, I formally retract this request. I have changed up my workflow so that now I need the resize tool to default to the selected pages regardless of the saved settings that are applied. I don't want it to be the way I suggested above.
Features I really want:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap,

Glad to hear that a change of the workflow has allowed you to get the results you need!

Kind regards,
Stefan