Maximum page size??

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

CoolRuehle
User

Maximum page size??

Post by CoolRuehle »

We frequently need to created PDFs that are unusual in size like 42" x 60" or 18" x 96".

I am unable to get PDF Exchange to create valid PDF documents in these large sizes. All I get is a page full of white space.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Maximum page size??

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello CoolRuehle,

Can you please explain in a few more details the exact steps you take to create such a file - are you making a new document inside the Editor directly, or are you e.g. trying to "print" to such a paper size from an external source? Please include a step by step description and some screenshot to illustrate the process, and we will be happy to assist further!

Regards,
Stefan
CoolRuehle
User

Post by CoolRuehle »

I am opening the documents within a number of different programs, depending upon the document type.

It could be a map, so I pull up the map in ArcMap, then print it to the ExchangePDF printer with a custom page size.

It could be a large format aerial photo, in that case, I'd pull it up with the Office 2010 Photo handler. Same exercise, File>Print, pick the ExchangePDF printer, custom paper size, etc.

I am able to generate the PDF, but it's blank. (See attached PDF)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello CoolRuehle,

Thanks for the sample file.
I can see the image data is in the file - but is shifted relative to the visiable area. Attached is a fixed copy of the file.

I noticed that this was created with build 318.1 of our products though. So please update to build 322.5 - the current latest - and let us know if this issue still happens.

Regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolRuehle
User

Post by CoolRuehle »

Download page is not working, see attached
TrackerDownloadError.png
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello CoolRuehle,

Please try a different browser.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

CoolRuehle wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pmWe frequently need to created PDFs that are unusual in size like 42" x 60" or 18" x 96".
Just to inform those interested in the topic:
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:06 pmwe only just increased our maximum page size from 200 to 300 inches
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jensen Head,

That statement from Daniel might need a bit of clarification.
The PDF specification states that the "Media Box" for a page should not exceed 14 400 units. In the default user space - each unit is equal to 1/72 of an inch - so 200 x 72 = 14 400 units is the maximum size that should be displayed for a PDF's page.
The proper way to generate pages that are larger than 200 inches would be to specify a /UserUnit value (effectively a scaling factor) - so that you can e.g. fit a 400 x 400 inches page (with /UserUnit = 2) within the allowed 14 400 media box units.

However there are quite a few PDF generating tools out there that just ignore that 14 400 units limit, and just define a page with larger media box and not bothering with the UserUnit value. Such files are technically non conforming to the PDF specification, however we've decided to start showing pages with media boxes up to 21 600 points - effectively 'increasing' the sizes of pages that we would show to 300 x 300 inches even when the page, strictly speaking, is not defined correctly.

Kind regards,
Stefan