Bookmark for document reading progress

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Davide78
User

Post by Davide78 »

Good morning, I saw on your program the many options dedicated to bookmarks
I would need the simplest one, that is, a bookmark that indicates the page where I have arrived to apply to a document that I am consulting, interspersing reading with other activities... but I haven't understood which function to use.
Thanks for your assistance with this trivial question
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Bookmark for document reading progress

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

To automatically return to the page you last visited in a PDF-document, you can simply use the "Restore the last used page layout ..." option.
PDF-XChange Editor - Preferences.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Davide78
User

Post by Davide78 »

Thanks, but would this setting be used on all pdf files I open or just the ones I'm interested in using as described?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Davide78,

That is a global setting that would apply to any file that you open which you have already opened before (so that this file is in the 'recent' list).

Kind regards,
Stefan
Davide78
User

Post by Davide78 »

Good morning! in reality what I needed is much easier than I thought, sorry even if it's a banality I missed!
When I'm at the point I want to save as "I've read this far" just right click and create a new bookmark!
By viewing the bookmarks, one is added to which you can give a name (e.g. "reading").
However, I was unable to update the position of this bookmark and upon subsequent reading I am forced to delete the old one and make a new one. Is this update possible?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Davide78,

You can edit the properties of a bookmark, however if you are using one just for keeping track where you are in a book - it might indeed be quicker to just delete the old one and make a new one.
If you have some text selected on the PDF's page - and then hit Ctrl + Shift + B - that will create a bookmark for you with that text and pointing to that location in the file:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Stefan, Davide78, and all,

I was second to answer ...

Yes, the update is possible: just right-click your "Reading"-bookmark and click "Set Destination" (tooltip = Assign the current view as the new destination for the bookmark).

Besides that, when the above parameter (in my first answer) is active, your documents should open at the page where you last closed them. Did you already try that ?

Kind regards.

Willy
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for adding this!
@Davide78 - please let us know if the above suggestions are useful to you.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Davide78
User

Post by Davide78 »

Willy's indication to update the position was just what I needed to conclude the topic!
Thank you all!
Willy Van Nuffel
User

:-)
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Not a trivial question at all... quite interesting how bookmarks can be used for more things than simply referring to positions (coordinates) on pages... I find it somewhat confusing myself

The complexity is sadly one of the reasons we don't have page numbers for bookmarks yet it seems:
viewtopic.php?t=37539&hilit=page+number
image.png
Btw.... modes such as "single page" view or zoom levels such as "fit page" can't be included into bookmarks, right?
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

The "Go to a page in the document" action can specify coordinates and zoom level:
image.png
However there is also this option in the Editor that can override such zoom levels specified in actions:
image(1).png
You can not force switching between e.g. single page and two pages continuous as part of the bookmark action anyway - so that would stay unchanged anyway.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

I find the easiest was to define a Bookmark destination is to select the Bookmark, go to the desired destination on the current page in the active document at the desired zoom level, the pull up Properties and click on Set Destination. I even have assigned "Q" as the hot-key for that function.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PHK,

Appreciate you sharing this approach you've figured out!

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

No problem, Stefan. I have become a Page-Hater as I view "pages" as a legacy of technology that is at the beginning of its end; when information was stored on paper. I am agressively trying to convert that soon-ot-be-obsolete information storage medium -- paper -- to electronic. And having "pages" in electronic storage is counterproductive. Therefore, I try to cram as much information as I can onto what is still called a "page." For instance, I have nearly twenty years of bank statements on one PDF "page."
image.png
Bookmarks are especially useful in being able to shift the view focus to small areas of the document. And being able to set Bookmark destinations is crucial.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com