Is it possible to have comments/bookmarks/properties pane match the active tab

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Is it possible to have comments/bookmarks/properties pane match the active tab

Post by MedBooster »

Is it possible to have comments/bookmarks/properties pane sync with the active tab

If you would consider implementing this, maybe it would be a good idea to add a button/keyboard shortcut to toggle this on and/off.
As this would be more for cases where you would not have enough screen estate to show two panes, one for each tab (in the same window)

maybe this would not be possible to do with multiple tabs across multiple windows.

I would like to for example have a floating window for "comments" which just syncs with the active tab/window, instead of being bound to a specific tab.
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to have comments/bookmarks/properties pane match the active tab

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MedBooster,

I am not 100% sure I am fully comprefending the idea you have here - but is this what you are looking for:
image.png
If not - can you please share some screenshots illustrating what you have in mind so that I can better understand this?

Kind regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MedBooster
User

Re: Is it possible to have comments/bookmarks/properties pane match the active tab

Post by MedBooster »

This setting seems to not enable global panes though. In this case each tab would simply have their own pane/panel layouts
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

Yes - some panes are tied to the specific document.
E.g. the thumbnail pane is specific to that file you have opened, and will display it's pages, so I am not sure how those panes can be 'global'.

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:16 am Hello MedBooster,

Yes - some panes are tied to the specific document.
E.g. the thumbnail pane is specific to that file you have opened, and will display it's pages, so I am not sure how those panes can be 'global'.

Kind regards,
Stefan
I meant that it would automatically switch to syncing with the active tab, but that the position would always be the same regardsless of the active window.
Though I understand that it might not be so practical after all. It's probably better to disable the option you referred to, but it's a bit of a hassle to position the panes for 20+ documents in one window. (and when I have two tabs side by side having one pane for each window/tab takes up too much space, as I described. )
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

Given that those are per document panes - I do not see the logic in having them floating.
If you need the screen space - it would be better if you do have them docked, and instead hide the whole side panel when you need the space:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

This is an example of a scenario:
you have two tabs (documents) open side by side.
It would be great to just have 1 comment panel which shows the comments of both tabs or maybe which shows only the comments of the active document/tab

btw... I am not able to put the two comment panes on the right side together / one above the other on the right side.

image.png
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

The search pane is not a per document one - so it can be shown only once when you have two files shown side by side. However e.g. the bookmarks and thumbnails are specific to the document in question - so those would be shown for each file separately.

Kind regards,
Stefan
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

image.png
Would you consider adding a keyboard shortcut/shortcut-button for this function?

It would help with my workflow to not have to go into preferences and toggle this on and off.

+ this suggestion would also apply to the function of synchronizing the active comment tool in all windows/tabs.
Wishlist
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MedBooster,

The majority of functions can indeed be assigned a shortcut, however this is a preference/setting that is not really intended to need to be toggled all the time - so there are no provisions in the Editor for you to assign shortcuts to toggle checkboxes for preferences from the menus, sorry. I've asked our devs in the past - and they are not looking at adding such shortcuts in the future either.

Kind regards,
Stefan