217 pages use 1MB, how to compress?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

andreasm1982
User

217 pages use 1MB, how to compress?

Post by andreasm1982 »

I have a pdf file (ebook) with 217 pages. It doesn't contain any images, only text. File size is 1 MB.
I wonder why this pdf file is so big. Is it normal that 217 pages of text use 1 MB ?

pdf version 1.5, file contains 5 fonts

I opened it in xchange viewer and saved it as new file, but it's still about 1 MB. How can I make it smaller?
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: 217 pages use 1MB, how to compress?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is not a question about PDF-XChange Viewer. It should be asked on the forum of whichever software you used to produce the PDF file, e.g. the OpenOffice Community Forum or whichever forum is appropriate for your software.

1 Mbyte is not excessive for 277 pages of text, but there are ways to optimise PDF files — reduce the number of fonts used, for example.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
andreasm1982
User

Post by andreasm1982 »

This is not a question about PDF-XChange Viewer.
No, it is. I try to reduce filesize with xchange viewer and search for hints how to do it. Perhaps it could be improved?
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

PDF-XChange Viewer is program to view PDF, and it it is not program to edit/optimize PDF files. Some edit functionality is added, some planned, but where did you saw promise that it will optimize PDF files?
Regarding PDF file - it depends on many factors, and main of them - PDF creator, primary created this file. If it create large PDF file - it is almost impossible to reduce file size in many cases. For example it can embedd one large font and even one page with one letter on it may take several megabytes - because of font. Also, it may create "hard" content with alot of unnecessary operations to display a word, and so on.
For now Viewer do not make any optimizations with PDF files. You may try PDF Tools, but I'm not sure that this will help - without PDF file is almost impossible to say can it be optimized or not.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.