Problems exporting and importing comments to xfdf

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

martin2
User

Problems exporting and importing comments to xfdf

Post by martin2 »

Hi,

we have a problem in exporting and importing XFDFs. Sometimes comments disappear when importing an XFDF that was exported before. I added a sample of a simple pdf (sample.pdf). I added 3 comments (sampleAnnotated.pdf) and exported the comments into sampleAnnotated.xfdf. If you now re-import these annotations into sample.pdf you can see the difference:
- the gesture disappears completely - but you can find it, its size is only a few pixels
- the text boxes have frames again, although they were removed in the original annotation
- I saw another text box in a commented doc that had the same problem as the gesture above. It seemed that its rectangle was to small. If you double klicked the (invisible) comment, then the rectangle was resized by the viewer and then everything worked fine.

In another situation (unfortunately I do no longer have the xfdf), an annotation disappeared and was marked as "hidden" in the xfdf. It is still visible in the comments list but no longer in the document. I did not find a way to reproduce this effect and did not find a way to "un-hide" the comment.

We are using PDF-XChange Viewer Version 2.0 Build 44.0 embedded into our application and import/export comments using the API.

Martin
Attachments
sample.zip
ZIP containing example PDFs / XFDF
(26.24 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Problems exporting and importing comments to xfdf

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Martin,

This problem has been fixed with the latest build 2.0.49.
Please update your Viewer SDK and you will find it corrected.

Kind Regards,
Stefan
martin2
User

Post by martin2 »

Hi Stefan,

I cannot really approve that it is fixed. I just downloaded the 2.049 SDK and standalone viewer and tested with both:

- Took my sample.pdf and commented with gesture and textboxes
- Saved the PDF a sampleAnnotated.pdf
- Exported the comments as FDF and XFDF
- Imported XFDF into sample.pdf again.
-> The gesture is lost again. As before it exists but is no longer visible as its rectangle seems to be to small
-> The textboxes have visible frames again
- Imported FDF into sample.pdf
-> The gesture is there
-> The textboxes have visible frames again

Unfortunately we actually have to store the comments outside the PDF document for business reasons and cannot keep them in the PDF, i.e. import/export are crucial for our system.

Martin

PS: Attached PDF/FDF/XFDF again which I exported with 2.049 using the export dialog of the PDF-XChange Viewer - I did not integrate the new version in our application so far.
Attachments
sample.zip
New testdata
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Martin.

We managed to reproduce this issue and will fix in the next build.
Thanks for your sample files.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
RudolfErnst
User

Post by RudolfErnst »

Hello Vasyl,

is the problem with the hidden annotations already fixed? We are using Version 2.0 Build 50.0 and it seems still to be there.

Best regards
Rudi
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Rudi.

This issue will be fixed in the next build (upcoming).

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
RudolfErnst
User

Post by RudolfErnst »

Hi Vasyl,

I found another problem regarding this topic:

When I make a rectangle annotation with fill color in Blend Mode (Multiply) it works as expected. In my case I see a red rectangle and the underlying pdf is shining through. When I now export this annotation as xfdf and import it again the Blend Mode get lost and the red color is completely hiding the text.

This would be a very useful feature for my clients if it works. They want to mark a bigger area of text with a transparent colorful rectangle. I know there are other ways to do this, but the client ... you know.

Kind regards
Rudi
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Implemented in build 2.0.54.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.