Deploying PDF-xChange

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

paul1149
User

Deploying PDF-xChange

Post by paul1149 »

Hi,
  • PDFx is still my viewer of choice by far, and I'd like to see more people using it. So I've done my little part, and when I work on friends' computers I usually convince them to switch over and I do the install for them.

Is there any simple way to carry over user settings? I've streamlined my install by creating a custom toolbar of most-used functions, and then hiding everything else. That, and some other things like a pleasing color scheme, I would like to be able to copy over without the effort of doing it manually.
  • Also, I wish there were a way to dock the page navigation toolbar to the top toolbar area. With landscape screens, vertical space is at a premium, and it is beneficial to hide the status bar.
  • One last unrelated thing: The setting to allow program launches has no effect on hyperlinks. It really is a nuisance to have to confirm every time I click on a Web link. My browser, security application and DNS provider are each configured to handle Web dangers. Building a separate database manually in PDFx is not needed at all. I think the Launch setting should apply to it as well.
Thanks,
p.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Deploying PDF-xChange

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Paul,

Yes you can export all of your settings to data file (Main Menu -> Edit -> Export all settings ...)
and then import them on each new machine.

You can have the pages toolbar both docked under the other toolbars, or completely floating - just drag and drop it with the mouse.

I will now speak with the guys to see what we can do on those link confirmations.

Best,
Stefan
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks, Stefan, that's exactly what I was looking for regarding transporting the settings.

Moving the Page Layout and Navigation bars seems to only be possible to a slot under the Tab bar, rather than to the main toolbar space. That defeats the purpose of moving it to conserve vertical space. And individual elements in those bars are not transportable to other toolbars.

Thanks for looking into the link situation.

BW,
p.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Paul,

Yes the Pages,Bookmarks, Comments Pane is separate and can not be merged with the toolbars, and this will stay this way for ver3 (it might be changed in ver3 but I am not sure).

As for the links confirmation, the devs are already investigating this, and it will most probably be added as an extra security setting you can enable/disable.

Best,
Stefan
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

Hi Stefan,

That's great about the links. Thanks much.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the contents of the side window in my efforts to conserve screen space. It's the Page Display and Page Navigation Toolbars that cannot be integrated with the main toolbars.

Thanks again,
p.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI paul1149

the reason those Toolbar items cannot (currently) be put on the top tool bars is because they are document specific.

Try tiling 2 or more documents (Edit --> Preferences --> Tabbed View [uncheck]) then View --> Tile and you will see that each document has it's own set. These can however be dragged to the top or side of the document window so putting them on the side will improve the available vertical real estate.

This is a 1440x900 screen shot at 50% Even with a full set of tool bars at the top you can fit it all in 2 rows. Then put the document specific items at the side and things are starting to improve.

We have also since 2.5 added many UI customization features. You can reduce the font sizes and do a lot more customization here too.

Additionally we have not decided how this will work in V3. It may be that the document specific tool bars will be able to be added to the top toolbar but this is still being assessed.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

Paul - thanks for putting that together. Stefan also mentioned previously that the two document-specific bars could float, which I might end up doing if I find that I need them.

I can see that if more than one document is viewed at a time, the question arises as to which a document-specific toolbar would apply to. How about simply having them reflect the document that currently has the focus?

Anyway, as always I appreciate your responsiveness, and the high degree of customization PDFxV already has.

bw,
p.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hey Paul,
How about simply having them reflect the document that currently has the focus?
I like that idea. I'll suggest it be considered.

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

That's great.

You know, I wasn't aware of those UI customizations. So I went back and checked my version, and it was 2.0.... I ran an update check, and nothing came back. Twice. So I went and downloaded the update manually, and now have the new features. (I had checked, and they weren't in my old version.) Evidently the updater wasn't working correctly.

I'm big on using colors to ease eyestrain, so that background configurer is much appreciated.

bw,
p.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Pleased you got there - with regards the updater - the most common cause of this is when an install is originally perfromed using the MSI bssed installer and then attempt to update- as the updater is an 'exe' based install - the 2 are not compatible so no upodate is located - we are working on making this so, but for now it is not.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

I see. I think I did use the .msi to install pdfxv, so that makes sense.

Thanks,
p.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi Paul,

We're glad to help. :wink:
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
paul1149
User

Post by paul1149 »

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, I did find a page number input box in Customize/View. It's read and write, so it's all the navigation I need, and it's importable to the standard toolbars. So half the battle is won here.

Also, I had a thought. It would be neat to have a page offset function, in order to reconcile nominal with logical page numbering. I just spend five minutes figuring out that my notes on a long document used logical page numbers, when I had been looking for my note's leave-off point using the document's own page numbers. The offset could be saved with the document's scroll state? Just a thought.

Be well,
p.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

I've passed this on to the relevant person and asked if this might be a reasonable feature request.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke