Setting shortcut keys in version 3.0.301

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

Setting shortcut keys in version 3.0.301

Post by Victor Warner »

I cannot see any option (in preferences or elsewhere) to set shortcut keys.

In version 2.5 it is possible to customise toolbars (eg right-click on toolbar) and then set a shortcut key for a function. This is not possible in version 3.0.301.

Also some shortcut keys programmed in as a default in Version 2.5 (such as F11 to show or hide tooblars; Control + E to show or hide properties, Control++ to increase zoom, etc) do not work in Version 3.0.301.

When is this going to be fixed?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Setting shortcut keys in version 3.0.301

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Did you notice Victor its not possible to edit text in the Viewer, did you notice the enhanced Scanning options, the ability to open image formats directly in the Editor, The ability to rotate existing content, to select groups, split the screen and so on and on - did you notice anything positive at all?

For goodness sake- try and temper your criticism with some positives and be patient and give us a chance to start to add some of the features that add the little nuances ...

Do you you remember the early releases of our Viewer and how that progressed - Roman wasn't built in a day and sometimes encouragment rather than constant nagging is a far more positive means to seek your goals !
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

John,

We obviously have a different opinion as to what criticism is or not and what is or what is not 'gold' software (at least for me, software which is labelled 'gold' is the final version of the software where all the features are present although there still may be bugs etc left in). Some of the things I have highlighted in the few posts i have made, at least for me, cannot be seen as 'extras' or new features. Unless Tracker Software views the ability to have a shortcut key to call the properties toolbar as an additional feature which will come in time (something present in version 2.5 but currently absent in version 3.0.301).

Version 2.5 is a truly excellent piece of software and I rely on it for work and non-work matters. It does not do a couple of things I need (one of which is not support right to left paragraph direction, another is to align sets text entered by the typewriter function).

Version 3.0 while being a different product is (or will be) a replacement for version 2.5 (at least for me).

To deal with the specific point raised in this post of mine. For me accessing functions through the use of shortcuts (for Windows) seems to be a fairly basic requirement/implementation.

Many shortcut keys are missing. There is no way of changing this in version 3.0.301.

How is this specific point a general criticism of version 3.0.301?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

The ability to modify the UI, Shortcut keys and also set default properties we hope to offer in the next public release - prior to the change in serial numbers so this will be available to all that currently have a valid PRO license
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

Overall, I think that the new PDF-XChange Editor v3.0.30x is very well done. But, it still lacks the feel of a finished / polished product. And, I want to encourage Tracker S/W to keep on developing it to its full potential!

One feature that I really do miss with the new versions is already stated in this forum thread. Can you please add the shortcut keys back in the upcoming releases soon? Thank you.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi hayden,

The ability to customize the shortcut keys has already been implemented in the Editor - this can be done by going to View --> Toolbars --> Customize Toolbars --> Commands.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi hayden,

The ability to customize the shortcut keys has already been implemented in the Editor - this can be done by going to View --> Toolbars --> Customize Toolbars --> Commands.

Cheers, hope that helps!
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I tried that before posting the issue here. So, I set the "Hand Tool" shortcut to the "H" key and the "Select Text Tool" to the "T" key and nothing happens when I press these keys in the main application screen.

These keyboard shortcuts work for me perfectly on PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.211 which I still use as my main pdf viewer since the keyboard shortcuts are working.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Hayden,

I've tested the issue and have confirmed that custom shortcuts for Tools don't seem to be working (though for other things [i.e. Ctrl + Shift + C for "Show Comments Pane"] seem to work).

I'll pass this along to the Dev. Team to look into.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
MoCommodore
User

Post by MoCommodore »

Hayden wrote: Yes, I tried that before posting the issue here. So, I set the "Hand Tool" shortcut to the "H" key and the "Select Text Tool" to the "T" key and nothing happens when I press these keys in the main application screen.

These keyboard shortcuts work for me perfectly on PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.211 which I still use as my main pdf viewer since the keyboard shortcuts are working.
Me, too. Exactly the same problem and exactly the same keys assigned to Hand Tool and Select Text Tool :wink:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi MoCommodore,

The Dev. Team have informed me that they try to have a fix for this included for Friday's release (build 306). :)

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
MoCommodore
User

Post by MoCommodore »

Thank you for you quick fix in the build 306 :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No problem, glad to help! :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

Thank you for the quick keyboard shortcuts fix on 3.0.306.

Can anyone please tell me how to enable / disable tooltips for version 3.0.306?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Hayden,

There's no way to enable/disable these in the Editor and they should be on by default.

Hope that helps!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

So the tooltip setting has been removed and the default is enabled. Why change a good thing?

On my setups, one computer has it enabled (what I want) and on another computer it is set to disabled (and I can't change it).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Hayden,

Not exactly "removed" - it's just that the commenting options are not yet available in the Editor's Edit -> Preferences menu. This should be available once again in a future build.

Regards,
Stefan
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Hayden,

Not exactly "removed" - it's just that the commenting options are not yet available in the Editor's Edit -> Preferences menu. This should be available once again in a future build.

Regards,
Stefan
Thank you for letting me know. In the mean time, can you please tell me how to manually enable the tooltip via editing an .ini file or a registry value?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Hayden,

I do not have a full list of all the settings yet, but please check the contents of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\CommentsView
on the two machines and see if there are any differences in the registry settings there.

Regards,
Stefan
Hayden
User

Post by Hayden »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Hayden,

I do not have a full list of all the settings yet, but please check the contents of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\CommentsView
on the two machines and see if there are any differences in the registry settings there.

Regards,
Stefan
I was going to start a new topic for the tooltip issue since we're deviating quite a bit from the original topic of this posting here. But, I found that the tooltip topic has already been created.

"Build 306 doesn't show comment balloons and tooltips"
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=19486

So, I'll continue with the tooltip issue in the correct posting.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)