New Document From Scan Error

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Tony York
User

New Document From Scan Error

Post by Tony York »

Hi,

When I try to create a new document from Scan, I get an error message - Scanning Failed - Error [System]: Not Implemented.

I have checked the docs for error messages, but cannot find any listed. I am not sure if I am missing any settings, but I have created a couple of presets, but still to no avail.

Any Answers?

Thanks

Tony York
horst siegert
User

Re: New Document From Scan Error

Post by horst siegert »

Hi Tony,
if you have installed the 64 bit version, than XchangeEditor will not find the scanner, as most scanner drivers are still 32 bit.
Run the 32 bit version of XchangeEditor.
horst
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Hi Horst,

I tried that, but it made no difference.

It might be one of the previous features that has been temporarily disabled. Maybe the words "Not Implemented" means that part of the system is yet to be re-activated.

Tony
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Tony,

scanning from the Editor is available. The suggestion to use the 32 bit version is a good one. Are you confident that it is the 32 bit Editor running? You can tell by using Task Manager.

Does the Viewer successfully access your scanner in 64 bit? If it can then we should be able to with the editor also.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Hi Paul,

I am running the 32 bit, and it detects the scanner in the lists. I deleted the presets I made, and tried to scan using custom scan, and managed to get the scanner to work, but there are a number of new issues to consider.

1. When you click on the native UI, it brings up a different UI to the one presented when you do the same thing using the Viewer. Is this a default Tracker UI ?. Otherwise, why does the Viewer show the scanners detailed scan properties dialog, but the Editor does not.

2. The image placement settings dialog, shows Horizontal and Vertical "space" as 4.2mm. How do you make that setting 0mm?

3. Maybe related to number 2 above, but I scanned 2 pages and I placed a marker on the left border about 20mm down the page to see where the Editor positioned the pages in the pdf file. The first page seemed to be placed to the right by about the 10mm, and the second page was likewise placed to the right, but this time, the page was placed upwards by about 10mm.

I have attached the pdf file for you to look at. It contains the Viewer and Editor resultant pdf files.

See ya

Tony
Attachments
Test Doc Tony York.zip
(8.59 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Tony,

there are 2 UIs available the way you are doing this, the WIA Windows UI and the native one from your 32 bit scanner driver.

This is the WIA 'Windows' UI:

anything other than that is from your scanner manufacturer's UI.

Unless you are talking about this:

regards the other 2 points, I'm not sure what you mean by the placement settings. Can you provide screen shots to illustrate?

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Hi Paul,

1. UI's
This is becoming a bit more confusing. :?

A. I use the Viewer ActiveX control in a Clarion application, and it allows me to pick the TWAIN and WIA drivers. The TWAIN one gives me the manufacturers UI, and the WIA the generic one.

B. The stand alone Viewer only allows me to see the WIA drivers, and thus access only to the generic UI (your first image).

C. The Editor allows me to see 2 items for my scanner, but does not state what type they are. One gives me the generic window (your first image) which I assume is the WIA, but the other gives me a Scanner Failure Error 0x8209100A. I assume this is for the TWAIN driver.

2. Scanned Pages.
If you look at the PDF files I attached, you see that the one created in the viewer shows a black bar on the far left and it is in the same position on both pages, being to the far left and about 20mm down from the top. In the pdf from the Editor the same black bar is inset on both pages, and is not in the same vertical position on page 2. I needed to see what I have to do to make the Editor create a pdf like the Viewer did.

I am primarily waiting on the new ActiveX control which will be coming out soon, and as I understand it, the Editor is built on the new classes that will be in the ActiveX control, and of course I want to see what new features are available and if they work :D

See ya

Tony
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you let us know which operation system are you using, and model of your scanner?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Hi Ivan,

Win 8

Avision Duplex Color AV122C2

See ya

Tony
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I have installed driver for this scanner on my Win8, but without a real scanner I cannot use it.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Tony,

thanks for that. To further this we will have to get Ivan to remote into your machine. If this is something you want to do please go here, fill out the indemnity form and mail it to us signed. We'll then arrange a time to connect.

Instructions and a link to the form can be found here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... e-an-issue

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Thanks Paul,

Form sent.

See ya

Tony
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Tony,

we have the form.

When would wortk fo ryou? Ivan is on West Coast Canada time, it's 9:00pm as I type this. He is in the office 9:00am for the the day and of course aslo has other duties.

Can you manage 9:00 "ish" on a morning West Coast Canada Summer Time time (Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) -0700 UTC ).

It would be best to arrange that here on the forum.

Regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tony York
User

Post by Tony York »

Hi Paul,

9am Vancouver equates to midnight here. I can be fairly flexible, but there are some times where I have clients the next few days. I can do -

4pm - 1am and 5am - 7am (Vancouver time)

If I set the alarm, I could make 3pm.

See ya

Tony
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Tony,

I'll have Ivan follow this up since he's the one who will be doing the session.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Hi Tony,

it is not necessary to set the alarm :)

Lets plan this event on Thursday, 9th between 5pm - 11pm (Vancouver time) whenever is better for you. Just send me an email when you will be ready (ivan@tracker-software.com). I suspect I will need to upload debug version of the Editor and the Debug View tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysi ... s/bb896647).
In ideal case would be nice if we will be able to use remote debugger, but hope Debug View will be enough.

Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello,

a have a similar issue on my machine. Let me add it to this thread.

I cannot scan documents with PDF X-Change Editor ("File / New Document / From Scanner... / Scan Properties / Scan"). I receive the following error message:

+++++++++++++++
New Document From Scan Direct
Invalid arguments supplied for the Scanner operation
Error [System]: Falscher Parameter.
+++++++++++++++

(Note: I have a German-language Windows version. "Falscher Parameter" = "parameter error". As PDF X-Change Editor doesn't speak German yet, this message seems to come from Windows?)

Windows 7 SP1 Pro x64
PDF X-Change Editor 3.0.301 (64-bit version)
Canon LiDe 90 Scanner (64-bit scanner driver)

The scanner is working fine with all other programs, so I'm quite sure it was properly installed. In particular, there is absolutely no problem with direct scans from PDF X-Change Viewer 2.5.210 (64-bit version). I assume there must be some problem within PDF X-Change Editor.

I will not permit remote access to my PC for security reasons - sorry.

Thanks in advance.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Don Pedro,

Thanks for the extra info. - given the issues above, I suspect that this probably isn't the case, but could you just make sure that you have the latest build by downloading and running the following:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE3.zip

Cheers, let me know if that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello Will,

yes, I have the latest build of the Editor, version 3.0.301.0. The SHA-1 hash of the installation file is identical with that of the file on your website.

The "Scan Properties" window (shown earlier in this thread) is displayed, but the next window popping up is the error message. I don't get the Windows WIA window "Scan using... What do you want to scan?" (also shown earlier).

There isn't the slightest problem with the Canon scanner if I'm using PDF X-Change Viewer 2.5.210.0 on the same machine.

Just one idea: could it be that PDF X-Change Editor requires the WIA window in the English language while the window contents is only available in German on my PC? Or some other sort of language-related incompatibility?

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

If you are having problems with scanning to the Editor - we would be interested in hearing from you direct @

support@pdf-xchange.com

With a link back to this forum message for reference - we have a debug build we would like to make available to a limited number of clients to test and advise if this resolves the issues found locally - so if you are interested in testing this for us and offering feedback - please do let us know.

Please note this is not for general testing - but specifically for scanner issues as detailed in this thread and elsewhere.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Just made another interesting test.

The scanner is working with PDF Editor if the check mark "Show Native UI" within "Scan Properties" is set. The following dialog is the same as that in PDF Viewer.

Scanning with "Show Native UI" unchecked does not work.

There is no such choice between "native UI" and "program UI" in the Viewer.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. - would you be willing to run the debug build of the Editor, as John suggested? If so, then please contact support@pdf-xchange.com, with a reference link to this thread, and I'd be happy to send you the installer .

Cheers,
Will
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

PDF-XChange Editor V. 3.0.306 (version 305 also affected)
Windows 7 SP1 Pro x64
German language interface
Canon CanoScan LiDE 90 scanner
-------------

Hello,

my problem (that was solved with build 302, if I remember things correctly) seems to be back with PDF-XChange Editor versions 305/306. :(

Scanning is fine if the scan is done with the native scanner interface (File / New Document / From Scanner... / Custom Scan / "Show Native UI" checked).

If the built-in UI is used ("Show Native UI" unchecked), I receive the following error message within an alert box:
New Document From Scan Direct
Error [PXVLib]: Scanning process failed
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Dons post is continued here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=19661

For anyone interested, please see that link.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)