Print Driver, Office2PDF, Office Add-In not working properly

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

inquirer
User

Print Driver, Office2PDF, Office Add-In not working properly

Post by inquirer »

Hello,

I purchased the PDF-XChange 4.0 Pro (Build 0145) today. I had no error messages during the installation process. But after installation I have four major problems:

1. The print driver does not seem to work properly.

After printing a document via PDF-XChange 4.0 the job remains in the job list/waiting queue with the following status: "Fehler - wird gedruckt" (= error - will be printed). So I have to stop and cancel the job manually. That is weird because the document was printed as PDF-file and saved already.

2. Office2pdf when logged in as non-administrator (standard user privileges)

When trying to start Office2PDF via start menu I get the followining error message: "You have not installed PDF-XChange 4.0 driver. Progamm will quit."

3. PDF-XChange 4.0 Office Com Plugin

When logged in as administrator:
Pressing the "convert to pdf"-button in Word 2007 has no effect (nothing happens).

When logged in as non-administrator:
No buttons are available because the add-in is inactive and cannot be activated manually.

4. PDF-Tools (not sure if that is a bug)

When optimizing a PDF-file the program creates a *.tmp file in the directory of the PDF-file which isn't deleted automatically after optimizing. The "*.tmp"-file seems to be the original PDF-file (maybe for restoring purposes?)

PDF-XChange 4.0 Pro (Build 0145)
Vista 64 Business
Office 2007 (Service Pack 1)
Lenovo Thinkpad T61
(installed and deinstalled before: PDFCreator, CutePDF, doPDF

Hope you can help me to fix these problems!
(Sorry for my bad english! :))
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

1) Can you say which port is associated with PDF-XChange printer. You can check this here: Control Panel -> Printers; select PDF-XChange 4.0 printer and now File -> Properties -> Ports (you can send me screenshot)

for 2) and 3) problems -- can you send me the part of registry located under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers

4) Will check; this file should be deleted after operation
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi Ivan,

problem 1:
the associated port is LPT1. Please see the screenshot attached. (My standard printer [Brother] is setted up as networkprinter - connected at the usb port of the "Fritz.box-Router" if that info is of any importance to you).

problem 2 and 3:
sorry for my impatience, but after realizing that I don't need these features I deinstalled the software and reinstalled it without these features. :)

problem 4:
still remains!

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
printer port.zip
(21.87 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

And there are no port named "PDF-XChange4" ?

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Unfortunately not!

Is there a workaround? I need to get this problem fixed as soon as possible (dissertation) :)

By the way, your viewer is excellent! Love it!

Thanks in advance!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

can you try to install the driver again running installer with /L command line, and than send me .log file which will be located into your installation folder -- this will help me to understand why printer's port monitor was not installed. Thanks

inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Please find attached the .log file.

I don't know if that is of any importance to you but last week I tried to install the Foxit PDF Creator. The installation process broke up before it could be finished (obviously not vista 64 compatible); no error messages. Maybe some files were copied to harddisk already or some entries were made to the registry. When trying to reinstall the Foxit PDF Creator vista said that the printer was installed already, although the printer was not listed under control panel > printers.

Cheers
Attachments
prninstaller.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

thanks for the information - we have located a possible cause for this affecting only x64 based machines - and have uploaded an update today available from :

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads/users/
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi Support Team,

Thanks for your quick help. Problem 1 is fixed now. :D

Could you reproduce the *.tmp file issue?

By the way, I have noticed some strange behaviour. When installing the viewer via the installation routine of the PDF-XChange Pro Setup the .pdf file extension will not be associated with the viewer. Everything works fine when installing the viewer separately.

Once again, many thanks for your help!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks the Viewer issue is corrected in the next release - and as far as the tmp file is concerned - have not been able to reproduce this - any specific steps we need to follow ?

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi,

1. regarding the *.tmp file issue:

No specific steps to follow. This is what I do:
source file and target file shall have the same file name (no specification of a target file name), i.e. the source file shall be overwritten. A pop-up window appears, asking if the source file should be overwritten. Pressing "yes" leads to the creation of the *.tmp file which isn't deleted after optimization. I'm running on vista x64 business.

2. Office Add-In

I was requested to create some pdf-files with bookmarks (large word document) so I tried to reinstall the Office Add-In. Office Add-In works great after last update but only when being logged in as administrator. The Office Add-In is deactivated when logged in as non-administrator. Please see the screenshot attached. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Attachments
Office Add-In.zip
(90.17 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

I will ask our project manager to look again at the Offcie Addin issue - but I am afraid I still cannot reproduce the tmp issue using the simple optimization option in PDF Tools.

Can you advise please what OS (Windows) version you have ?

Best regards
Tracker Support
inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi,

I'm running on vista x64 business (german) with the latest updates installed but without service pack 1.
Version 6.0.6000

My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61. I reformatted the harddisk and made a "clean install" with the Anytime Upgrade DVD. I deactivated some vista services to increase the performance.

I had some trouble with the print driver before the latest update of PDF-XChange Pro. Maybe you should install this version first and then install the update (after deinstallation of the older version) to reproduce the *.tmp file issue, albeit I don't think that it makes a difference.

Or maybe this "bug" cannot be reproduced in virtual machines?

Do you need any more specifications?

Kind regards
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

.tmp file left if work as administrator too? I'm working all my time on Vista Ultimate x64 (last week with SP1) and had no troubles. Will check under restricted account.

Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I can reproduce the problem. It occurs when you override source file. Will fix it asap.

inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi Ivan,

1. tmp file
yes, the *.tmp file issue only occurs when the source file should be overwritten (I have mentioned it already; see my posts above :) ).
Anyway, "will be fixed" sounds good!

2. Office Add-In
Could you reproduce the problem? (see my post dated Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:36 pm --> Add-In works great when logged in as admin, Add-In is inactive when logged in as non-admin and cannot be activated manually)

Best regards
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

1: Will be fixed soon in the next release.

2: Have no idea why this is occuring - but investigating.

thanks for your patience.

Best regards
Tracker Support
inquirer
User

new problem - save as dialog cannot be configured

Post by inquirer »

Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys again but I have experienced a new problem.

It is not possible to change the standard path within the "save as" settings of the virtual printer. Moreover the "last used path" is not shown after restarting OS, instead the default path "C:\Users\MY_USERNAME\Documents" is shown which is quite annoying because I don't use the standard documents folder of Vista. (This problem occurs at least when logged in as non-admin, have not tried it out with admin privileges so far).

Cheers
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

ok, will fix. we are hope to release new build at the end of this week.

inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi guys,

1. tmp-file bug fixed in latest build 0146. Great!

2. Office Add-Inn
Still inactive when logged in as non-admin. (Runtime error while loading add-in?)

3. "Save as" settings of virtual printer
Still not possible to change the save as path manually; last used path is not shown AFTER restarting OS (instead "C:\Users\MY_USERNAME\Documents").

PDF-XChange 4.0 Pro (Build 0146)
Vista Business (german) X64 with Service Pack 1 final
Office 2007 (Service Pack 1)

Best regards
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

1. ok

2. Can you check, is there value named InstallPath32 under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers

3. Last used path is not stored by desing. When this option is turned on, PDF-XChange just doesn't pass default path for Save As dialog. But you can choose any acceptable folder where PDFs should be stored and this will be remembered.

inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi,

1. regarding the Office Add-Inn:
yes I do have a value named "InstallPath32" with the following value:
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4 Pro\pdfSaver\x32"
both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Any other ideas? :)

2. regarding "save as" settings of virtual printer:
Hm, does "acceptable folder" mean that I can only choose the predefined folders like "Desktop - My Documents - My Pictures - Favorites" in the drop-down-menu? I'm asking because it is not possible to choose any other folder which is not listed in the drop-down-menu :?
Furthermore I'm not able to "turn off" the "last used path" option
This issue is not killing me but it is kind of a restriction of usability :(

Sorry for my doggedness!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

1. for now I have no idea why this happens. I cannot reproduce it here.

2. you can see a list of the 'predefined' folders by pressing the 'down arrow' on the "Browse" button.

But can you also see and select the left portion of this button ? You should see the option to 'Browse' which should then show the 'Browse for folder' dialog ?

inquirer
User

Post by inquirer »

Hi,

1. Office Add-In
just reinstalled the software --> don't know why but the Add-In is active now and works fine! :D

2. "save as" settings of virtual printer
Though I can select the Browse button which then shows the "Browse for folder" dialog, if I choose a folder and then press the OK button, the chosen folder will not be saved as the new "save as path".
Please see the screenshot attached for better comprehension.
Still not able to reproduce it?

Best regards
Attachments
save as settings.zip
(79.65 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I can confirm that this is an issue and will be fixed ASAP.

Thanks for your persistence !

Best regards
Tracker Support