Sharing my Streamdeck setup for PDF-xchange editor:

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

I use streamdeck to change between colors and tools, that way I can keep the document in full screen and still be able to switch tools with the push of a button. (But the streamdeck Elgato buttons obviously activate keyboard shortcuts, so you will need to include keyboard shortcuts for different presets (colors) of different tools. I'll share my keyboard shortcuts for PDF xchange editor too, but keep in mind that I've changed a lot of the shortcuts, so I recommend you create your own, maybe you just want to use the icons. Some are from flaticons, others I have modified in MS paint myself.

You would also get my own presets my importing the settings so I wouldn't really recommend it if you already have your own personal settings and shortcuts you are happy with

Just wanted to share this to show my use-case of keyboard shortcuts, and why I really love how customizable PDF-Xce is when it comes to assigning keyboard shortcuts

Some of my Streamdeck pages:
image.png
image1.png
image.png
Anyway, this was more about sharing the idea of what you can do with PDF xce and shortcuts.
Here is the stream deck profile and .xces PDF xchange settings files (not sure if I am allowed to post that here, I understand if it gets removed. They're not .exe files though or .zip so shouldn't be categorised as viruses?

<removed for security purposes>

Oh and for those of you that aren't familiar with what a streamdeck is, here is a picture of my actual IRL streamdeck (Elgato)
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
Bookmarks with page numbers
Optional fixed small icon size in the toolbar
Shift to UNLOCK aspect ratio/i]
Allow more "toolbars" to the title bar
AltGr issues with character input and keyboard shortcuts
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Sharing my Streamdeck setup for PDF-xchange editor:

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

That is really slick MedBooster.

I had no such idea such devices existed! Very cool.

BTW - I did remove the link to your settings file because they can include sensitive information like credentials to cloud services etc. While these are encrypted, it is a risk to post them publicly. Perhaps PM anyone who wants your settings file?

Thanks for posting this. I think it's awesome and want one now for Christmas!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

On a similar note, you could also use a customizable on-screen keyboard to achieve something like this
https://hotvirtualkeyboard.com/help-online/#actions

This is why it is so great that you're able to add a custom keyboard shortcut to nearly any function in PDF-XCE!
Wishlist
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MedBooster
User

Post by MedBooster »

It would be great if you were able to bind certain buttons that are not necessarily keyboard "keys" to functions, what I had to do with my stream deck was to use super weird keyboard combinations
image.png
What makes PDF-XCE recognise a particular button as a shortcut? Does it have to refer to something on a physical standard 100% keyboard, or could you use Function keys 13+ (usually keyboards only have F1-F12) ... Has anyone tried this with AutoHotKey/PowerToys or SharpKeys for example?

Is there a reason you can not use the windows key as a modifier key in PDF-XCE?

I understand that it has to be some kind of keyboard button because stream deck (Elgato) wouldn't be able to communicate with PDF-XCE unless they made a plug-in for that... with an add-on in PDF-XCE maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wishlist
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

MedBooster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:40 pm could you use Function keys 13+ (usually keyboards only have F1-F12) ... Has anyone tried this with AutoHotKey/PowerToys or SharpKeys for example?
Yes that works. I have remapped Right Shift to F14 which in turn opens Voidtools Everything.

When I shut down Everything, I can assign F14 to things in PDF-XChange Editor. PXE then reacts on Right Shift aka F14 key presses.

Other special keys of which I have used some with varying success for controlling certain software functions:

CapsLock
Insert
PrintScreen
ScrollLock
Pause
PopupMenü
Keypad=
NextTrack
PreviousTrack
Play/Pause
StopMedia
FastForward
Rewind
Record
Email Reader
File Explorer
Web Browser
Web Search
Web Home
Web Back
Web Forward
Web Stop
Web Refresh
Web Bookmarks
Right Windows Key

A more complete list seems to be this one:
https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/KeyList.htm#keyboard
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David.P, MedBooster,

Thanks for sharing the above. I do not believe that our help is needed at this stage, but I will be happy to continue monitoring this topic.

As for the 'weird' shortcuts - if they work, and you only need to set them up only once, and then use a button that triggers them - it should not be too much of a hassle!

Kind regards,
Stefan