A way to reload a document without closing it

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Is there a way to re-open the current document without closing it and re-opening it? When many documents are open, finding the right document to open (after closing it) can take some time. Slightly speeds up copying its full path ("Copy Full File Name" command) before closing it. But the easiest way would be to have a separate command and bind it, for example, to the hot keys Ctrl + F5 (similar to the browser). This is useful in situations where document rendering artifacts are suspected (there are several threads about this on this forum).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: A way to reload a document without closing it

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi JensenHead,

the "Recents" doesn't helps here? Is it that you have so many open it's hard to find in the "Recents List"?

There is no "Reload the current document" option, no.
This is useful in situations where document rendering artifacts are suspected (there are several threads about this on this forum).
Do you have any particular threads in mind? If there are issues being reported in the forums that we are not addressing I am keen to know!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I will only answer the first question.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:08 pmthe "Recents" doesn't helps here?
During one process, I open documents in batches of 50-100 pieces. In total, there can be from several tens to several thousand. Their names are quite similar and without text search in the list of recent ones, it is quite inconvenient to look for a newly closed document among them. Faster the way I do now (described in the first post).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

I did read through the discussion Paul had with our devs on this topic - and it seems like such a "reload document without closing and reopening it manually" might not be implemented. It is not firmly rejected yet - but our devs are for now weighting the request against the wider usability of such a feature. For now it is almost rejected, but if things do change - we will update this topic.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi.

There is Revert command in File menu. Have you tried it?

Kind regards,
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) "Revert" is only available when modifications have made to the document.

2) Would it be possible to (immediately) store the documents in the "Recent Files" list in the same order as they have been closed ?
So, the last closed document would always be on top of the list. That would certainly help, no ?
Currently, the "Recent Files" list seems to be ordered in the sequence that the documents have been opened ("Latest Visit Time").
In the best case it would be nice to have two choices : "most recently opened" and "most recently closed".

Kind regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Willy,

while this is not possible in the "Recents list" under File then Open, we do have the "History Pane" which can be ordered in different ways, including
image.png
Does that give you what you are looking for?

regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thank Paul.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Once again a feature that is already available before its request is even made !

So, this must be the solution for Jensen Head. The document that has lastly been closed is at the top of the list in the History pane.
A double-click onto this document is enough to re-open it.

Kind regards.

Willy
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

He he he - I will confess, that until I asked about adding the feature, I was unaware of that History Pane option as well!

Here's hoping it works for Jensen Head.

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pmwhile this is not possible in the "Recents list" under File then Open, we do have the "History Pane" which can be ordered in different ways
Yes, this is a suitable workaround for me. Thank you!
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:50 pmHe he he - I will confess, that until I asked about adding the feature
I used to think of this forum primarily as a user-to-user forum, and only secondarily as a way to contact the application company's support team directly. Good thing I wasn't completely wrong!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)