Feature Request to prevent tapping a comment from being selected even if the exclusive mode is disabled

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
rakunavi
User

Feature Request to prevent tapping a comment from being selected even if the exclusive mode is disabled

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

Dragging a document by touch allows the user to freely pan the display area of the page view, even if the hand tool is disabled. This is the most basic operation, along with zooming in and out by pinching. However, if there happens to be a comment at the location you touch while trying to drag, you will unintentionally select and move that comment. In the first place, just by looking at the page, we cannot determine whether what we see there is a comment or base content.

When the exclusive mode is enabled, tapping on a comment does not select it and dragging does not move it, regardless of whether the Hand tool or the Comment tool is enabled. However, when the exclusive mode is enabled, the tooltip does not appear when operated with a stylus or mouse, and double-clicking on a comment does not open a pop-up note. These are all behaviors that the exclusive mode intentionally causes. If you enable exclusive mode just because you don't want to select a comment with a tap, the effect on other operations is too great. However, that does not mean that it is very practical to enable the exclusive mode when performing touch operations and disable it when performing stylus or mouse operations.

Note that disabling the 'Allow Draw with a Finger Touch' option in the 'Commenting' category of the 'Preferences' dialog does not prevent selection by tap or movement of comments by drag.

I just want to pan by dragging or zoom in/out by pinching, but it is very tiring to touch the screen while always being careful whether the hand tool is active or not, or whether the exclusive mode is active or not.

The request for the comment tool to be activated by double-tapping, which I reported in the following topic, was based on the same purpose.

When dragging and pinching by touch, there is a difference in ease of operation between being careful not to double-tap and operating without worrying about anything. It is indeed unfortunate that it was rejected by the developer for the following reason.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:21 am Our devs told me that there is no reason to turn that feature off - as double tap is not used for anything else in that configuration - so there's no harm to leave it working like this.
If you mainly use a stylus, you will be able to concentrate more on writing if you can limit touch operations to the minimum necessary in the settings. In this regard, other touch-friendly PDF software offers more detailed options for touch operations than PDF-XChange Editor. For example, Drawboard PDF offers the following options, all of which I have disabled.

• figure.png
I hope that PDF-XChange Editor will offer more options for touch operation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version: 10.1.2 build 382
- OS Version: Windows 11 Home 23H2 Build 22631.2428
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL, HP All-in-One 22-c0xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request to prevent tapping a comment from being selected even if the exclusive mode is disabled

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

Your use case example of a Stylus/hand tool switch on the other hand would in itself circumvent the largest issue you have reported here, selection and mouseover popups. Exclusive mode is a "tool specific" toggle, so it can be on for the hand tool alone, without enabling it for other tools.
image.png
(see above) This means that if the stylus is set to use the pencil or eraser, you would get the best of both worlds, the Hand can be used for "friction free" panning through the document, and the stylus can be used to select/open any existing comments, as well as add new annotations without interfering with the settings on the hand tool.

I will pass this up the chain and see what will be done, thought I cannot make any promises at this time.
I hope the above helps you to get around the issue for now.

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Re: Feature Request to prevent tapping a comment from being selected even if the exclusive mode is disabled

Post by rakunavi »

Hello Daniel, thank you for your reply.

I already know about the "Automatically switch to Pencil or Eraser tool with Stylus" option. However, this option switches between the pencil tool and the eraser tool, and does not automatically switch to the Handtool when a comment tool other than the pencil tool is used. Therefore, you should always enable exclusive mode for all comment tools to avoid unintentional selection by tapping.

Also, even if you are using the Pencil tool and it is automatically switched to Hand tool, you cannot prevent unintentional selection by tapping unless you turn on the exclusive mode in Hand tool.

In any case, as already mentioned, the consequences of having exclusive mode always enabled are significant, and other conveniences are greatly impaired. I hope that the day will come when the options will be enhanced so that it will not be necessary to do so.

Please give my best regards to the developers.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rakunavi

I understand, and the Dev team has been made aware of the request, I cannot promise any changes however, and so these options were simply there to help minimize the issue in the meantime. I do see how you could encounter issues with these options if you are not exclusively commenting with the pencil/eraser tools.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com