Convert embedded shapes  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JVDL
User

Convert embedded shapes

Post by JVDL »

Hello,

Is it possible to convert/copy an embedded shape to a new (not embedded) area? if yes, then how? :D

if not, for me and probably others, this would be a great function!

Thanks in advance,

JvdL
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Convert embedded shapes

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello JVDL,

If you can provide us with a sample file and some screenshots illustrating the type of 'embedded' object you refer to - we should be able to help!

However if you are e.g. trying to copy base content items and paste them as annotations in another file - that might not be possible, as the two types of content are defined quite differently in the PDF ISO specification, and as such converting from Annotations to base content is possible, but the reverse not so (namely due to a lot of data being lost when you 'flatten' an annotation and make it a base content item.

Kind regards,
Stefan
KD952
User

Post by KD952 »

Hello everybody!

I suspect JvdL just wants to copy and paste base contend like shown in the gif blow.
ezgif-6-38a6153115.gif
If so follow these steps:

1. select base content
2. copy base content
3. create new empty document
4. paste base content
5. crop the page to get rid of unwanted content activating the following checkmarks:
image.png
6. select freshly cropped content
7. copy cropped content
8. paste as stamp
image(1).png
9. move stamp where you need it.
10. (optional: flatten stamp to make use of snapping for lines and measurements)

Kind regards,
Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, KD952

nice one. :D

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
JVDL
User

Post by JVDL »

Thanks for the awnser! pretty helpful, but not exactly what i needed

In the picture (see link below, i don't know how to insert it here :o ) , you see that i need to measure the same area again, while it is actually already drawn by the architect. So if i could convert that shape to an area, that would be really convenient.

https://ibb.co/ch7T80g

KD952 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:57 pm Hello everybody!

I suspect JvdL just wants to copy and paste base contend like shown in the gif blow.
ezgif-6-38a6153115.gif

If so follow these steps:

1. select base content
2. copy base content
3. create new empty document
4. paste base content
5. crop the page to get rid of unwanted content activating the following checkmarks:
image.png
6. select freshly cropped content
7. copy cropped content
8. paste as stamp
image(1).png
9. move stamp where you need it.
10. (optional: flatten stamp to make use of snapping for lines and measurements)

Kind regards,
Daniel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Convert embedded shapes  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello JVDL,

Unfortunately base content objects can not be converted to annotations, and you would indeed need to retrace the desired share with the Area tool. You can turn on snapping to make things easier, but if you want to measure - you would have to use the area tool yourself.

The limitation comes from the difference in the way of 'describing' inside of the PDF file format base content shapes and annotations, and while flattening annotations is possible, the reverse process is not.

Kind regards,
Stefan