Tab display in order opened

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tjb1
User

Tab display in order opened

Post by tjb1 »

Is there a way to make PDFs display in order opened? It seems to randomly place them in the list when opened.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Tab display in order opened

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello tjb1,

Welcome to our forums!

So if I understood you correctly you are dragging and dropping more than one file from a Windows Explorer window to the Editor and get the order messed up?

The tabs are indeed shown in the order we received that list of files. However the list is generated by Windows itself and might not match what you think your order is.
When you are looking at a folder with files ordered by say file name - Windows might decide to send them to us by "last modified" date order - and then you will get the files opened in that order in the Editor.

You can then quickly drag and drop them at the desired locations.

You can also save sessions if you need to open the same set of files frequently, and the session will open them in the correct order for you.

Kind regards,
Stefan
tjb1
User

Post by tjb1 »

Hello,

This is when keeping the editor open and continuing to open new files. Maybe this was the location it was previously in before being closed but I would like if any new file would be placed at the end of the list.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, tjb1

If you are manually opening new files, they should always appear on the far right side of the list. The only time that opening a file would not append it to the right side of the list is if you already have that specific file opened. In that case, the Editor takes the open command and instead selects the correct (already existing) tab for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,

I need to correct myself, I forgot we recently added controls for this.
The above is still true if you have not modified the default settings, but it is not the "only" option anymore, simply the default option. You may have changed the new documet handling in the preferences (Ctrl_K) here:
image.png
Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com