Bug: snapping to lines

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

KD952
User

Bug: snapping to lines

Post by KD952 »

Hello!

I just upgraded to build 385
Bild_2024-03-02_092057518.png
Snapping to mid-point no longer works with lines on build 385.

Here are my settings:
Bild_2024-03-02_091727822.png
As you can see in the following gif snapping to mid-point no longer works for lines.
Still works for polygon lines.
clip0010-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
Kind regards,
Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David.P
User

Re: Bug: snapping to lines

Post by David.P »

Wow, as if snapping alone wouldn't be a totally awesome feature for an PDF Editor, it is even configurable! I didn't know that.

When the devs take a look into this bug as reported by Daniel, maybe a tiny audible feedback could be added to the snapping feature?

That would make snapping even more intuitive. I have been using a similar feature (programmed in AutoHotKey) for years in PowerPoint, which is my main drawing program, and it makes drawing stuff all day long so much faster and less tiring.

Actually, I have made that feature active system-wide in the meantime. It makes a tiny "click" sound every time the mouse cursor changes, i.e. when you hover or pass over things with your mouse:

Code: Select all

SetTimer, CursorClick, 11 ; run every 11 milliseconds

CursorClick:
	CursorNow := A_Cursor ; determine the current cursor
	If (CursorNow != "IBeam") and (CursorNow != "Arrow") and  (CursorNow != CursorPrevious) ; determine if the cursor has changed (except if the cursor is =IBeam or =Arrow)
		{
		;~ ToolTip, CursorClick %CursorPrevious% %CursorNow% ; shows what the current cursor is, for debugging
        SoundPlay, C:\Windows\Media\MenuPopup.wav  ; play a tiny click sound
		}
	CursorPrevious := CursorNow
Return
The MenuPopup.wav file is attached, just put this into your C:\Windows\Media folder to try.

Thanks for considering!

Best regards
David

MenuPopup.wav.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello KD952, David.P,

@KD952 - thanks for your report!
I've managed to reproduce the issue and have created the ticket for our devs so that they can get this resolved:
#6800: Editor 385: Snapping to midpoint works only for some annotations

@David P - I will make sure that the dev team also sees and considers your comments, but I can't make promises for such a sound being added from our side!

Kind regards,
Stefan
KD952
User

Post by KD952 »

Hello Stefan!

Could you expand the ticket to include the following problem:

"Snapping position indicators no longer show up for area tool, perimeter tool and polygon line tool when pressing shift key"
area_tool.gif
Kind regards,
Daniel
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello KD952,

Pressing Shift key does have a different function when used with those two tools - to draw the line in increments of 15 degree for more precision. And if the perimeter/area tool start from outside the figure ( when including other shapes or more complex areas) ,there are cases that you will not be able to select the snap point.

Holding the key to show snap position and then to have to relies it in order to link your line does not sound very functional.

The snap point do show when you hover over it and holding shift for the first helps if the snap point is the first used by the tool. I did check several builds back, but I was not able to find one where the Shift key had that function.
Best regards,
Jordan
KD952
User

Post by KD952 »

Hello Jordan!

The area tool, perimeter tool and polygon line tool did lose this functionality recently. Cannot say which build.

For comparison line tool still works as intended.
Snapping position indicators show up while holding shift key.

line_tool + shift key.gif
Kind regards,
Daniel.
KD952
User

Post by KD952 »

Maybe a better wording would be:

"Snapping position indicators disappear while pressing shift key" (for area tool, perimeter tool and polygon line tool)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, KD952

Thank you for the excellent explanation, I have successfully reproduced the issue, and created a ticket showcasing it. As per usual, this is an internal ticket, but you can ask any member of the support team for updates in the future:

RT#6852: Bug: Poly-Tools - snap icon not shown when shift is held.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com