Feature Request: Ratio Paper Size Option

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PHK
User

Post by PHK »

We all know that a percentage is simply the numerator of a ratio calculation where the denominator is a fixed number of 100. So, in the Resize Pages tool there is a Page Size option of "Percentage" that allows the User to modify the overall source page size from the way it is (where either the width or the height is relative to 100) to a new page size that has a chosen respective dimesion equivalent that is relative to that which the User puts in the open box.
image.png
However, if the reference dimension of the source page is not 100 (the most usual situation), the User must calculate, estimate, or measure the units of the reference dimension outside of the Resize Pages tool in the PDF-XCE application and then perform the approriate calculations.

The change to this option that I am advocating would be to make both the numerator and the denominator User-specified rather than just the numerator. This could be easily achieved by adding a second box to the right of the percentage box as it appears now with some appropriate re-labelling and having the application software compute the correct ratio and adjust the page sizes accordingly. This cannot be more complicated than having the ratio calculated with a fixed denominator of 100.

For example, if the User wanted to resize a page (or pages) from a width of 6" to a new width of 8.5", they would enter "8.5" in the denomerator box and "6" in numerator box and then increase the size by a factor of 1.42x in this example. Likewise, if the User wished to resize the page(s) from 12" to 8.5", they would enter 8.5 in the denominator box as above and "12" in the other box thereby reducing the page size by a factor of 0.71x.

This would be much more useful to Users who would no longer be compelled to go outside the Resize Pages tool to complete the operation in almost all cases where the percentage is not pre-established thereby saving many process steps and eliminating possible error situations.

Thanking you in advance for you consideration of this suggestion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Ratio Paper Size Option

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

I do not thins this is necessary, as two radio options above you can just select the desired page size directly, and we would then do the calculations for you.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Stefan, I obviously failed to make my point sufficiently clearly judging from your apparent misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Let's say we've got a rectangle with a width of 8.5 inches and a height of 11 inches and 8.5=x and 11=y. But we want to resize the rectangle, maintaining the given ratio of 8.5:11 but with a new width that we call x' and the new width will be y' and where y' equals x' times x divided by y. In other words, we know what x' is but we must use the arithmetic equation to solve for the unknown new y, or y'.

Your suggested use of the Custom Page Size option presupposes that both x' and y' are known, whereas my scenario is based on only one of the variables, x' or y', is known and the other is not. If the User changes only one of the Custom Page Size options the other remains unchanged. In other words, if the User puts x' in one of the Custom Page Size option boxes y will be the default value in the other box, not y'. So, if in my example above I enter 17 for the width (two times the original) and hit enter it will be a 17x11 rectangle, not a 17x22 rectangle.

What I am asking for, in these terms, is the option to have two boxes: one where x is entered and another where x' is entered. Or, alternatively, where y is entered in one and y' is entered in the other. In a sense, PDF-XCE already has that in the Percentage option with a variable x' but with a fixed y' of 100. The problem with that is that the user has to calculate that x' offline. I am asking for another option with two boxes allowing the input of x in one box and x' in the other or y in one and y' in the other. In my view, it would be better to replace the current Percentage option with a new option as above if it is felt that you do not want to add anything to this menu.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, PHK

As mentioned in your other thread, I has passed this suggestion along. I expect that the simplest method we could offer for this would be to present a "lock ratio" button, for the "custom" paper size option, like so
image.png
I haven't seen a response on this yet, but will let you know when/if it is accepted.

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Yeah, Daniel, that would work. Thanks for passing it along.
All best,

FringePhil
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

Just to update this topic - Daniel got the approval and a FR was created last night:
#6808: FR: "lock ratio" button for Custom page size in Resize pages

Kind regards,
Stefan
mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Post by mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:09 am Hello PHK,

Just to update this topic - Daniel got the approval and a FR was created last night:
#6808: FR: "lock ratio" button for Custom page size in Resize pages

Kind regards,
Stefan
Is this feature request the same as this one: viewtopic.php?p=173289#p173289
Features I really want:
1. Fully customizable toolbars: https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=167585
2. Sanitize documents w/o being forced into save as dialog (Acrobat has this!): https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=156130
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap

Indeed it does appear to be the same, I had forgotten about it. I have linked the two tickets together now, thank you for pointing that out.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com