Changings in a long pdf-ducument and Update table of contents and page numbers

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Hello,
I work with the pdf-Xchange Editor 9.1.3 on Windows 10.
I have a pdf-ducument with about 500 pages. Now I have to do some changes: delete pages and add some new pages. I know how to delete and add pages. But I don't know how to renew the page numbering and to update the table of contents.
Besides, there is another problem: I am forced to show the changes in the table of contents by crossing out the old names of the deleted document, so that they only appear in the table, while the pages themselves don't exist anymore. The reason for that is, that my partner will see what was changed.
I would be happy if someone could help me,
lynndinn
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Changings in a long pdf-ducument and Update table of contents and page numbers

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello lynndinn,

I am afraid that PDF files are not really equipped to "track changes".
E.g. the page numbers are not dynamic and once added become part of the PDF pages - so you would need to remove the existing numbers before you place new ones. This KB should show you how to do both operations:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... -numbering

And the table of contents - you will likely need to manually edit the existing one to cross out the removed entries, and update the numbers for the other entries.

Alternatively - you can try to convert your file to a .docx file, remove the needed content and then generate a new ToC - and then convert back to PDF.

Kind regards,
Stefan
lynndinn
User

Re: Changings in a long pdf-ducument and Update table of contents and page numbers

Post by lynndinn »

Thank you, Stefan, for the fast reply. I was already afraid, that I could'nt change those things automatically. In Word i would know how to do it, but unfortunately I cannot convert the pdf into Word. I've tried that, but a lot of formatting went lost. So I will do it manually, as you suggested.
Thank you, lynndinn
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lynndinn,

Sorry that there isn't any easier solution - however in a PDF file's structure each page is an independent object unlike a continuous word document - so some of the things possible with other file formats are not really possible with PDFs and vice versa.

Kind regards,
Stefan
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Hello again Stefan. I tried to delete the pagenumbers, as it stated in the link you wrote me. It worked with the "mark for reduction". The pagenumbers are not to see, but instead there is a black box, whitch looks fatal ...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lynndinn,

When setting up the redaction tool - you can change the colour that would be applied - select white if your pages are white - and all should be good:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

wonderful, that works :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Hello Stefan,
I'm making good progress with my work. But now I have a new problem: I need to rename some information in the rows of the index. Where can I do this best: In the "bookmarks" window under Properties? Do the changes then appear automatically in the table of contents or do I have to create a new directory?
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello Lynndinn,

If you are changing the text that a bookmark is based on you will need to manually update its Title ( from the bookmark property title or in the Bookmark pane (Ctrl +B))
The Table of Content as the page numbering is static once you place it on the page and you will need to create a new table after editing the Bookmarks
Best regards,
Jordan
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Thank you for your help. So I have to do it manually.
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Best regards,
Jordan
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Now I know to edit the text. Thank you for that. But is it also possible to to cross out parts of the text and/or to to display the text in a different color, not just to fill the entire field with color?
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Lynndinn,

You can adjust the format ( font, size and color ) of the Table of Content here:
image.png
There is the option to underline as well.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards,
Jordan
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Thank you for the answer. What you suggest concerns the table of content, which is build by the bookmarks. As i will create the index at the end of all work, i would like to make the formattings even now in the bookmarks. Is that possible?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, lynndinn

Generally it would be best to make the changes to the bookmarks themselves, and then rebuild the ToC after that. On the bookmarks tab we offer a "find and replace bookmark text" tool, which you can use to quick make necessary changes, after that, you can use the "Build ToC" button to create a new table of content (you will likely want to remove the old one before you do this, so page numbers are accurate.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem because only the pure text is exchanged. I'm concerned about crossing out and the color of the text. It also doesn't work with the "Add Text" and "From Text File" tabs.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lynndinn

If the "find/redact" solution Stefan offered does not help, and editing the bookmark text and then recreating the ToC is not a viable option, I am afraid there is no automatic way to accomplish this. We are working on a fully featured "find and replace" tool for the future, but in the meantime, you will need to manually change these items by using the "Edit text" tool directly on the page content items.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

OK, now I know that there is apparently no software solution to my problem. I will then do this manually at the end. And I would be happy if you could incorporate this feature into the program, which I think is very good.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

My pdf document has over 500 pages and is divided into 13 chapters. Now I have to make a new change: I have to move almost an entire chapter to another location. This is easy to do in the page preview. But what happens to the bookmarks? They should actually be moved along with the associated pages. Of course, I then have to change the numbering in each individual bookmark. But I haven't succeeded yet. How can I move entire chapters including the associated bookmarks?
Thank you so much for your help...
lynndinn
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lynndinn

If you are making use of "named destinations" on your pages, which the bookmarks point to, than moving the page would update the location the bookmark points to alongside the page move action. If you are not already making use of these, you will find a button to do so on the bookmarks tab:
image.png
Once you have clicked that, you can simply move the pages around as needed with the thumbnails pane. If you wish to re-organize the bookmarks after that is complete, you can then use the "sort bookmarks" button, also on the bookmarks tab, to re-order them based on the page order.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Thanks for the hint, that seems to solve my problem. I will try it out.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

In various places in my document there are words or sentences that are highlighted with the green fill color. Can this be changed automatically to the fill color red? Or do I have to do it manually?
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

I did it manually :?
My work is nearly completed. Now I want to create the TOC, which is easy. But I have a pröblem: All chapter level are on the left edge. My levels are: 1 / 1.1 / 1.3 /1.4 and 2 / 2.2. etc. How can I put the different levels at different distances from the left edge?
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

as I see it in a picture of https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... the-Editor ;
Title , heading 1
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

bingo! I found the solution: I have to arrange the titles and subtitles in the bookmark-window (move them with drag and drop and use the red line to go more to the right side).
But there is another problem. Due to time constraints I have to create the TOC, though there will be in future changes in the number of pages in some chapters. However, the structure with the bookmarks remains the same. Only the assignment to the pages would change. In Word there is the option "update the index". Is there in pdf exchange editor a similar option?
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Unfortunately I can't do the update simply by deleting and rebuilding because the text of the TOC manual has additional strikethroughs and color fills. If I simply delet them, I would then have to laboriously add them again.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lynndinn

In am afraid that we do not offer an update ToC function. Unlike word, PDF is not "flow based" so updating a ToC would be considerably more complicated here, and the only reasonable way to do so would essentially be automating the delete > recreate process...
Since items like strikethroughs and highlights are not directly tied to the text, but simply "happen to exist" at the same x/y coordinates on the page, marking those as related and ensuring they are still associated with the correct section of text would be nigh impossible.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lynndinn
User

Post by lynndinn »

Thanks for the feedback. It's a pity, but I was already afraid of that. I will wait with the TOC until it is definitely clear that there will no longer be a change to the side bars.
Greetings, lynndinn
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Best regards,
Jordan