Split/Merge PDF's help needed

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mahalisri1
User

Split/Merge PDF's help needed

Post by Mahalisri1 »

My company has recently upgraded this PDF tools software to the latest version 10.2.1 build 385.

Earlier I used to see an option of deleting individual pages from the multiple PDF files loaded by looking at them visually on the screen and merge all pages of PDF files into one document. Now I don't see this option in this new version. Is that older functionality (deleting selected pages) transformed into new functionality, How can I achieve this? Please help. see the attached screenshot. I have loaded two PDF files for making into one document via Merge. Before that I wanted to see all pages(3 pages + 4 pages, Total 7 pages) in these PDF files(2) visually and pick some for deletion.
2 PDF files loaded.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Split/Merge PDF's help needed

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Mahalisri1

What you are looking at there is the "select input files" menu, which only shows the files as a thumbnail. When you proceed past that step, the split/merge dialog should appear (assuming you have "show manual split merge dialog" enabled in the tool that is running), which contains the functions you are looking for.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Mahalisri1
User

Post by Mahalisri1 »

Thank you for the response. when I proceed past the step of files loading, directly I'm getting a SAVE popup/option to save the file two files together into one document(PDF). My requirement is , I wanted to delete or adjust some pages here and there from these 2 PDF files and make/merge into one document.

where & how can I enable this option: "show manual split merge dialog" in the tool that is running?
Mahalisri1
User

Post by Mahalisri1 »

I don't know what PDF Tools version that we had until last week. Somehow My company has upgraded/updated this tool to the latest version I presume.

Earlier I used to see the All pages from the PDF files loaded via selection, and used to delete the pages or adjust here and there using drag & drop option. Now I don't see this feature. I don't know what I'm missing and what new changes took place...

My requirement is very simple. Wanted to merge 1 or more/multiple PDF files into one PDF document. Before that I wanted to see all pages visually from the multiple PDF files loaded. Per se, PDF file 1 contains 3 pages. PDF file 2 contains 4 pages. I wanted to see all these 7 pages from 2 PDF files loaded. Now I want to delete Page#2 from PDF File 1, and adjust/replace the pages sequence from #2 to #4 and #1 to #3 in PDF file2, Finally make all these remaining 6 pages into 1 PDF document. This I used to do in just less than 10 seconds in older version.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Mahalisri1

See the image below, before you begin running the tool, ensure that this option is checked, then you will see the configuration dialogue you are looking for.
image.png
This option has been present for a long time, and has not moved or changed recently, so the only reason for its handling to have changed, is if your IT team reset your settings along the way while updating. You may want to look into anything else you had customized between then and now, as other items have likely been reset.

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Mahalisri1
User

Post by Mahalisri1 »

That option is checked already. And I tried to check and uncheck again to see any difference. No change at all.

BTW, What surprising me is, Why the pages are NOT visible in the 2 PDF files that you have loaded? I wanted to see all pages visually when you start loading...There should be a little EXPAND icon/button to the left of the PDF file. Once you click on that expand button/icon then we can visually see the pages in that particular PDF files. you can select the page and press the delete button on your laptop keyboard. And also you can drag n drop the pages here and there and modify the sequence before we proceed to make a new document.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Mahalisri1

Could I ask for a screenshot of your tool settings then, and perhaps an export of your split/merge tool for testing here? These functions are working as expected on this end, but perhaps something else has changed in your installation.
You can export the settings by right clicking on the tool itself, and choosing "export selected tool". Simply move that file into a zip folder, and then you will be able to upload it here.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Mahalisri1
User

Post by Mahalisri1 »

see the attached exported file
PDF-Tools Exchange.zip
Somehow I don't see expand button/icon.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Mahalisri1

Thank you for that, This still seems to work as expected here, so I suspect there may be something different in execution, or possibly an installation error on your end.
First, can I ask you to please uninstall all of our software, then restart your PC. After the restart, head to your account page, and download/run the latest installer which matches your license key, and only that one installer. Then Restart the PC once again.
After that is done try running this tool again, as you did in the past, and let me know if it helps. Your settings should remain in place during the reinstall, this is simply to ensure that no necessary files from the install itself are missing.

If the issue continues to occur, A short video showing your process for selecting a document would be helpful. Perhaps there is something different about the way you launch the tool, that is causing this to happen.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Just an additional question, because in the screenshot made by Daniel it is not visible:

Do you have the checkbox Split/Merge Document enabled, like in the screenshot here below ?
Tested with PDF-XChange Tools version 10.2.1build 385.
PDF-XChange Tools - Split Merge.png
Jordan - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Jordan - Tracker Supp »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

When the the check is not selected the "(skipped)" is shown next to the process:
image.png
This is done so you can have the option to select and use only the second process available in this tool "Change Document Properties".
Best regards,
Jordan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thanks for that @Jordan.

Due to the width of my "Tool Info" column at the right side of my screen I did not see the "(skipped") info.
PDF-XChange Tools - Split Merge skipped.png
I still wonder what would be the reason for Mahalisri1 to not see the thumbnails.

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

If the action is being skipped, than the dialog which shows those thumbnails (as a part of that action) would also be skipped. That and having the "show dialog for manual split/merge" option unchercked, generally should be the only reasons this could happen.
This is why I asked for the tool export, to confirm that the action was enabled, and the option for manual control was also checked, since both were, there should not be any reason why this is not shown.

I do wonder if perhaps the issue is simply that Mahalisri1 is cancelling the tool during the "select input files" action, instead of clicking ok, to proceed to the next action, which would then show the dialog that allow thumbnails control?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com