Can I add a shortcut for the command "Search by"?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

juanandres_81
User

Can I add a shortcut for the command "Search by"?

Post by juanandres_81 »

Hi everyone,

I want to know if it is possible to add a shortcut for the command "search by" using a search provider.

If it is possible ... how can I change the default search provider?

Thanks,

Juan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Can I add a shortcut for the command "Search by"?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi juanandres_81

there is no way currently to set a keyboard shortcut for the Internet Search.

You can set the default Search Provider using the 'Manage Search Provider' feature:

Remove unwanted Search Providers, add your own and order them so that the one you want as default is on the top of the list.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
daniel hofer
User

Post by daniel hofer »

very old thread, but I'd like to ask for such a feature too:

it would be much more efficient if I could define shortcuts for my few search providers. For example:
d for dict.cc
w for wikipedia.com
g for google.com

Yes I know, selecting the search provider in the toolbar is also a possibility (and it's not so bad;-)). But shortcuts are most efficient I think.

Thanks and best wishes
Daniel
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi daniel hofer,

Thanks for the post. You can set a keyboard shortcut to initiate the internet search, however it will use the previously used search provider.

See here on how to set up shortcuts: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... he-Editor-

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
daniel hofer
User

Post by daniel hofer »

Hi Patrick

thanks for replying.
I know this. Yes it's a way, but seperate shortcuts for every search provider would be great;-).

Thanks
Daniel
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

(Maybe this new part of the topic should be better moved to PDF-XChange Editor.)

It would indeed be great - for specific purposes - to be able to add multiple icons for one particular feature (like "Internet Search") and each icon having its specific switches/parameters (like a "Search Provider").

So, you could also think about having multiple icons for particular Comments, like Highlight, with each icon having its own specific color.

In theory it is a nice idea... Something for Tracker Software to think about ?

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy,

While this might not work for the internet search providers - if you create custom styles for a tool, and give each of those a unique name - you can then search for those names in the "customize toolbars" menu - and they will show. You can then drag each separate highlight style to a toolbar, or assigg a specific shortcut to each.
E.g. take a look here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/319
Once you've created those custom styles and named them - you can add them directly to a toolbar.

Regards,
Stefan
daniel hofer
User

Post by daniel hofer »

Just this functionality is the reason why I use iAnnotate on my Ipad. There you could have a yellow highlighting button, a red one, a green one, and so on.
This is extremely productive compared to the way of changing color afterwards.

I think the annotation palette could also be used for this workflow, but the use of the palette is still slightly strange;-).

Daniel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

Once you've created the styles and they are visible in the palette with their custom names - open the toolbar customization window - and search for the same style names in the "Commands" tab - and you will see them there, and can then add them to the toolbar as separate buttons for quick switching between the styles.

Please see the attached image.

Regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daniel hofer
User

Post by daniel hofer »

Stefan, thanks for the KB-link.

That's quite a nice way to use different colors.
The problem is, that I need to click on the button and wait a second until the other colors appear.
It would be great (and I think that's the way Willy meant) to define several buttons, like this:
(well, the text below the icons is not very useful now;-) But I think you see what I mean).

Thanks
Daniel
daniel hofer
User

Post by daniel hofer »

Hi Stefan

aha! Ups, sorry;-) Now I understand...I should read your mails until the end...;-)

Thanks a lot! Wow, well, perfect now!!

Best wishes
Daniel
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

Please see my above post - once you've created the styles - yes they will appear in the drop down menu on the main Highlight button, but you can also add them as separate buttons easily as per my above post. It's just a two step process to create them. Then once set up - it's a one click operation to switch to a specific style of the tool :)
aha! Ups, sorry;-) Now I understand...I should read your mails until the end...

Thanks a lot! Wow, well, perfect now!!
This post and my reply above "crossed up a bit" - but glad that we got to the same result at the end!

Cheers,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thanks a lot for the information Stefan.

Unfortunately, the question of Daniel is still open for what concerns the "Internet Search".

Can he hope for a re-design of this feature to make it work like (for example) the Highlight comment tool, and so being able to create additional icons in the toolbar, for each provider ?

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Yes I know it's still a problem for the search engines.
I can't make any promises at the moment, but will pass it along and ask our devs if there's a possibility to add this in the future.

Regards,
Stefan