2 questions

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Liquidfire
User

2 questions

Post by Liquidfire »

I love this viewer and use it a lot in combination with Docear.

How-ever I am wondering a few things.

When I make markings of articles and PDFs it seems when I look in the pop-up every letter is spaces out and has a lot of 'enters' and white space between it. Is there an easy way to fix this? At the moment I have to-do everything manually.

Second
I know I can add other texts to a already marked unit, but is there a way to-do this immediately? If I select multiple lines I often get some lines I do not want together(i.e footnotes / page numbers) I would love to have a feature I can select multiple lines in a document with shift or control.

Or is this already a possibility?

Thirdly when you make a comment popup, why doesn't it include a scrollbar when the comment clearly goes out of screen? Especially regarding number one I cannot see the end of a comment, because when I scroll it dissapears. Zooming out keeps the comment at the same level and I can only see a few lines.

If needed I can provide pictures to clarify but I hope I am clear enough.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Liquidfire,

And welcome to our forums.

First let me point out that the Viewer is now an older and no longer actively developed product. It's successor is the PDF XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
And I would recommend you the Editor as it's the newer and more feature rich product.

1) Can we have a sample of the first issue to take a look at? Also please test and see if the Editor handles those better?

2) For the second issue - the Editor allows you to make a rectangular text selection, but it has to be a continuous one - it can not be a "split" selection. I am not sure if any PDF software allows this, or if it is at all allowed by the specification.

And for the bonus question - it should handle those properly in the Editor, and I believe some of the last Viewer builds also did that, so you might be using an older Viewer build. Please check that in Help -> About, and let us know the build and version numbers reported there.

Regards,
Stefan
Liquidfire
User

Post by Liquidfire »

Thankyou for the quick reply.

An example is this document.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25561359

Effects

of

physical

activity

on

executive

function

and

motor
performance

in

children

with

ADHD
I will try in the new product too, but I am not sure if it's compatible with Docear.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Liquidfire,

I tried copying text from that page and pasting it in a PDF - and both the Viewer and Editor pasted it for me on a single line with normal spacing. Maybe the way your browser copies that text also has effect?
Does pasting in e.g. Notepad look different?

Please do give the Editor a try - as we are only able to fix issues in it, and not in the Viewer.

Cheers,
Stefan
Liquidfire
User

Post by Liquidfire »

Hello,

I made some adjustments after some Googling and it seems that the Editor has fixed the white-spacing error.

I wanted to clarify I am not copying from a website, but highlighting in a PDF document of which I export the comments/annotations into a mindmap(Docear). To write my papers.

I think most of it has been fixed, or so it seems.

Thankyou for your help :)

I am a bit overwelmed with all the new options though, is there a way to enable a more simplistic GUI that doesn't throw all the new fancy options in my face(not that I mind, options are good). But compared to the viewer it feels a bit overwelming.

Also, thankyou for your support. I've never seen such good tech support anywhere!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Liquidfire,

You can actually modify the UI to your liking so that only the tools you want to see exist there. More details here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... he-Editor-

Also, you may find this article of use: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... cific-Tool

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America