PDF Viewer does not release PDF file handle after close...

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gutberle
User

PDF Viewer does not release PDF file handle after close...

Post by gutberle »

Hi,

I keep running into a small annoyance that I would like to bring to your attention and let me do so by example.

- I receive a PDF document from a customer and create a new directory and place it in there.
- I open the PDF in PDF XChange Viewer (2.5.321.0) and it displays just fine (of course).
- I close the PDF and decide to change the folder's name based on some content of the file such as its type (price request, PO, etc.)
- Even though the PDF file is closed, Windows will not let me change the folder's name UNTIL I close PDF XChange Viewer.

What this means is that PDF XChange Viewer is not releasing the file handle it created to open and display the PDF, even after I close it. I would really appreciate it, if this behavior could be fixed, because this also extends to removable drives not being ejectable, etc. due to the same handle-still-held reason.

Thanks,
Ingmar
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF Viewer does not release PDF file handle after close...

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello gutberle,

I am afraid that the Viewer is now a discontinued product, and as such no changes are made to it, and this is unlikely to be fixed.
Please try downloading and installing it's successor - the PDF XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
And let us know if you still have problems.

Regards,
Stefan
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF Viewer does not release PDF file handle after close...

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi gutberle.
You are not correct about file - if you try to rename file you will be able to do it. Problem is in file open / file save dialogs, they keep last used folder locked. So you have another workaround - open or save file in other folder and previous folder will be unlocked.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.