SaveDocument issue

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ap_mi
User

SaveDocument issue

Post by ap_mi »

Hello,

We have an MFC dll which creates a window containing the pdf viewer control. Our issue is that when we call SaveDocument with certain PDFs, the SaveDocument function fails. The HRESULT we get when it fails is 2147944126, which translates to "The remote procedure call failed." Attached is a pdf sample that we use to replicate the issue.

A discovery that I made today was that if I were to scroll to the bottom of the document, and then trigger a call to SaveDocument, SaveDocument would yield no error. Inversely, if SaveDocument were to execute WITHOUT scrolling to the bottom of the document, then the error which I described above would occur.

Has anyone come accross this issue before?

My assumption is that perhaps the SaveDocument fails because the pdf is not fully loaded in memory yet. Is this possible?

Some Notes:
Using version 2.5.311.0

Uploading the sample pdf to the forum failed, got an error on the forum saying "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Please access the pdf using the following google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vUJM ... sp=sharing

I'd like to upload the pdf to the forum instead of sharing via google docs. Please let me know if there's some trick to get this pdf uploaded. Thanks

Thanks.
ap_mi
User

Re: SaveDocument issue

Post by ap_mi »

Hi Tracker Support/Moderators,

Have you happened to have seen this behavior before? Do you happen to have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ap_mi,

Thanks for the post - Can you please try build 319 and see if the behaviour is the same?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads/dev

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ap_mi
User

Post by ap_mi »

Hi Will,

I downloaded and installed 319.

When I tested with 319 I noticed the pdf had the pdf-xchange watermark, which means I didn't have the correct key/devcode, however I continued with the test. The call to SaveDocument completed successfully with no error.

With my second test I set the correct key and devcode (which removed the watermark). In this test case the call to SaveDocument failed with the HRESULT -2147023170, which maps to "The remote procedure call failed."

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi ap_mi,

Thanks for sharing this result. I've passed it along to the devs and we will post again here as soon as we have any further advise.

Regards,
Stefan
ap_mi
User

Post by ap_mi »

Hello,

Any word from the dev team?

I have some more info about this issue.

We have a customer that suddenly encountered this issue on several workstations after months of successful use, so naturally, we assumed this issue was caused by some windows update. A colleague was a able to use one of their test machines and uninstall updates 1 by 1. He found that after rolling back from the Windows 10 anniversary build (build 1607) the issue did not occur. Our find is that this build is causing the error we've been seeing.

To sum up, this issue seems to be occurring on Windows 10 machines. In particular, we've seen this error occur on Microsoft Surface machines and a windows vm both on Windows 10 build 1607.

Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ap_mi

we can offer you support on your Viewer SDK related project, however be aware that the Viewer and it's SDK is no longer a current prodcut. that means that there will be no changes/fixes done to it. We will try to help you get your project fubctional with the existing SDK however should it require changes to the Viewer SDK then these we will not be making said changes, you would need to upgrade your SDK to an Editor SDK.

Having said that, we need you to supply a sample project where the problem is reproducible, and we will try than reproduce it localy. But it might take some time.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com