Printer Driver Crashes

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

FLieser
User

Printer Driver Crashes

Post by FLieser »

Hello,

we are using the PDF XChange 5.5 Pro Driver to print various reports from our ERP-System which is Microsoft DynamicsNAV 2009R2. We have configured the Printer to save PDF/A-1a files to a fixed location using %[DocName] for the file name. The ERP System will then rename the file and prepare it for delivery via E-Mail. The Printer is configured to always overwrite files if they already exist. In the past we used PDF XChange 3.60 Lite to do the job without any problems. We upgraded to the new version for support of PDF/A. Most of the time the new version works stable just like the old one. But every now and then the Printer will crash while printing one of the reports. When that happens, we need to restart the whole server in order to get the Printer working again. It´s not always the same report which causes the crash and after reboot the same report will print just fine. We have no idea what might cause the problem, maybe you can help?
The system is running Windows Server 2008R2 Standard with Service Pack 1 inside a virtual machine which runs on VMWARE 6.0 Build 3339083. I have already set the registry key for creating crash dumps. Attached you will find the latest two of them. Can you please have a look?

Regards,

Felix
Attachments
crash_dumps.zip
(587.07 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printer Driver Crashes

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello Felix,
Thanks for the helpful report.
I am preparing a special build of the driver for further investigation of the issue on your side.
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hello Roman,

thank you for your response. Do you have an indication for when this special build will be ready? These crashes seem to occur every second day now.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Felix,

I am checking with Roman now, and we will post again here shortly. In the mean time - can you please confirm if the e-mail assigned to your forum account is the right one to use to send you the debug version?

Regards,
Stefan
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Sounds good. The e-mail address in my profile is correct. If you intend to send a new exe file via e-mail you will have to put it inside a password encrypted zip file to enable it to pass through our mail scanner.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

This issue was fixed in version 6 (build 6.0.317.0) of the driver.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Thank you Ivan. I installed the new version of the driver and configured it accordingly. I will keep an eye on it for the next days and let you know if everything works fine now.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Please do and thanks :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hello again,

sadly the new version did not fix the issue we are experiencing. We had another crash on Friday with the new version. I have attached the new dump file. Can you please look into it again?

Many thanks,

Felix
Attachments
pdfSaver6.exe.2172.dmp.zip
(325.2 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Felix,

It's 3:45 Am where Ivan is. I have left him a message and he will take a look when he gets to the office.

Regards,
Stefan
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Felix,

I have made some changes to the driver that possibly address this issue. The fix will be available in the upcoming fixup build of the driver (317.1).
However I am not completely sure because we are still unable to reproduce the case. Please let us know how the next build will work for you. In case of repeated failures we will prepare a special build for you to hunt the bug.
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Thank you Roman. I have now updated the driver to the new build. I will let you know if the problem is resolved.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Looking forward to the feedback!

Regards,
Stefan
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hello again,

until now no further crashes, so at the moment the bug seems resolved. Instead we had another rather annoying problem this morning. All of a sudden our printed documents got the watermark "Click to buy now" left and right in the header :shock: Nobody changed a thing on the server and I checked the configuration and it still had the valid license. I then copy&pasted the license again to no effect. Then we restarted the server and after that all was fine again... Do you have any idea how this could have happened? We would rather not have this happen again as the printed documents are momentarily sent to customers and vendors without anyone checking them beforehand.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I am afraid this is an incarnation of the same problem. :(
I am preparing a custom build of the driver to detect the cause.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Please unzip the attached file to an empty directory and run run.bat as Administrator.
You will be prompted for your PDF-XChange Printer installation path; you can just press Enter if the printer is installed in the default directory.
Please do this when the usage of the printer on the server is minimal- this will replace a driver binary with another one that contains additional debug checks, so current print jobs will fail.
You should get a pdfSaver6.exe process crash when the problem occurs next time.

Please send me the crash dump.
Attachments
pxc_patch.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Thank you Roman! I have now replaced the pdfsaver.exe with the debug version. I will send you the dump file as soon as we have a new crash.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the update FLieser,

Looking forward to the additional info if the crash happens again.

Regards,
Stefan
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hello Roman,

We had another "crash" on Friday, but it did not produce a crash dump. Instead the driver produced the watermark again.. Can you please provide us with a debug driver without this "fix"? Or can I just install the V6 driver from before the fix and apply the debug pdfsaver.exe to it? In that case I´m in need of a new download of the initial V6 driver as I don´t have the setup files anymore. Is it still available from the website? Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Felix
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Could you please respond to my last message anyone? We need to fix this problem or we are forced to switch to another product. Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

I have contacted Roman directly and he should reply to you shortly - please come back if you have not had a reply by the end of the day today.

Apologies for the delay...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello, Felix,

This outcome nevertheless gives a valuable information. I am implementing a fix according to this information but it will take some time.
For now here is another version of pdfSaver6.exe (see the attached file). It should definitely crash when an error of this kind occurs.
Please check the file after the replacement - the new file version must be 6.0.317.2.
Attachments
pxc_patch_2.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello again,

Here is the version of pdfSaver6.exe (6.0.317.3) that probably fixes the issue. So the previous patch (version 2) is not actual now (I see someone has already downloaded it).

Use the attached pxc_patch_3.zip.
Attachments
pxc_patch_3.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hi Roman,

yes, that was me who downloaded the version 2. I have now replaced it with version 3 and will keep you posted!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Excellent - many thanks.

Best regards
Tracker Support
FLieser
User

Post by FLieser »

Hi Roman,

as it seems the latest version really fixed the problem! We have not had any crashes for the last week. I think the issue is solved :)

Many thanks!

Felix
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear that Felix!

We will consider it resolved then!

Cheers,
Stefan
jon albert
User

Post by jon albert »

[color=#000000]FLi[/color][/url][url=http://www.rxdrugs.xyz/][color=#000000]eser[/color] wrote: Hello,

we are using the PDF XChange 5.5 Pro Driver to print various reports from our ERP-System which is Microsoft DynamicsNAV 2009R2. We have configured the Printer to save PDF/A-1a files to a fixed location using %[DocName] for the file name. The ERP System will then rename the file and prepare it for delivery via E-Mail. The Printer is configured to always overwrite files if they already exist. In the past we used PDF XChange 3.60 Lite to do the job without any problems. We upgraded to the new version for support of PDF/A. Most of the time the new version works stable just like the old one. But every now and then the Printer will crash while printing one of the reports. When that happens, we need to restart the whole server in order to get the Printer working again. It´s not always the same report which causes the crash and after reboot the same report will print just fine. We have no idea what might cause the problem, maybe you can help?
The system is running Windows Server 2008R2 Standard with Service Pack 1 inside a virtual machine which runs on VMWARE 6.0 Build 3339083. I have already set the registry key for creating crash dumps. Attached you will find the latest two of them. Can you please have a look?

Regards,

Felix
I was getting same kind of problem but after re-configuration it has fixed.
Last edited by jon albert on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear it's fixed for you as well!

Regards,
Stefan