Font/Vector Print quality problems when printing from MS Visio

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Font/Vector Print quality problems when printing from MS Visio

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and Tracker Support team,

I am seeing print quality problems recently when printing from Microsoft Visio. Arcs are not smooth but edgy, fonts are printed as bitmaps, Circles are deformed.

Please see below comparison:

This is on PDF-XChange Standard v6 Build 322. I get the same results with PDF-XChange Lite v6 Build 322 -- both with standard print settings.

Is there something I can do do improve the PDF output?

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Font/Vector Print quality problems when printing from MS Visio

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Would you be able to post this file so that we can investigate it further?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Patrick, and thank you for your answer,

in the meantime I found that by playing around with the resolution settings (increase), graphics settings (do not compress) and font settings (embed) in the PDF-XChange Standard print driver, I could achieve at least similar results as with the Adobe print driver.

However, now the resulting file from the PDF-XChange Standard print driver is 40 times (!) as large as the file from the Adobe print driver.

One possible reason for this can be taken from the below screenshots, showing a clipping of the respective PDF from Adobe (top) and PDF-XChange (bottom), respectively, as opened in a drawing program. It can be seen that Adobe mostly draws curves as Bezier lines, while the PDF-XChange print driver breaks those curves up in lots of segments.

PDF result from Adobe printer:

PDF result from PDF-XChange printer:

I hope that this and the attached files helps to track this problem down!

David
Attachments
Visio drawing and PDF printer results.zip
(99.46 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

This question is already open for a while, without follow-up from Tracker Support?

If I remember correctly, the dpi-setting had to be set to a value higher than 300, to make that fonts are not converted to bit-map.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 39&t=16664

I do not have Visio on my computer, and so I have no means to perform some tests, but I suppose there is no need to disable graphics compression, nor to embed the fonts.
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Thank you for that suggestion and follow up! You do keep us in check ;)

I do not have Visio either, so cannot confirm.

David, Sorry for the lack of follow up - does this help at all?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America