Printing text to PDF-XChange Standard V6

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

d_hicks
User

Printing text to PDF-XChange Standard V6

Post by d_hicks »

I can't figure out what the printer settings should be when I print from Windows Notepad to PDF-XChange Standard V6, so that the PDF created will have text (that can be selected and copied), i.e., so that I don't have to OCR the PDF in order to get text that can be copied.

Any help would be much appreciated, including preferably a link to a manual page that explains how to address the issue.

Thank you very much for your help.

Marc B. Hankin
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing text to PDF-XChange Standard V6

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Marc,
It should be selectable text by default. Can you please send us both the text file and resulting PDF on which you cannot select the text?
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
marceepoo
User

Post by marceepoo »

I am attaching to this message two PDF files: (1) "0101.txt.pdf", and (2) "2018-03-13 PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer Dialog windows.pdf"
The message I posted on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm was inaccurate, or perhaps I should say that that message inaccurately described the problem.
Pages 1-3 of the attached file "0101.txt.pdf" were produced by my printing from a Notepad equivalent program to PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer, and the text in the PDF was selectable.
Pages 3-6 of "0101.txt.pdf" were produced by printing to PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer, using the "append" option, and the text in the PDF was selectable.
Pages 7-8 of "0101.txt.pdf" were produced by printing from Chrome to PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer, using the "append" option, and the text in the PDF was NOT selectable.

The attached file "2018-03-13 PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer Dialog windows.pdf" contains screenshots showing the various settings that appear when I print from Chrome to the PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer. I inserted a few callout boxes in the PDF to explain what I am showing you in that PDF file. I hope that the screenshots are helpful to you in diagnosing the problem. I often want to print from Chrome to PDF; but when I use the PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer, the text in the PDF file is not selectable.
Attachments
0101.txt.pdf
(421.57 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
2018-03-13 PDF-XChanqe Standard V6 Printer Dialog windows.pdf
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,
This is a side effect of using the Printer instead of a plugin. If you are printing to PDF from the browser, then the browser will tell the printer how to handle the page, likely chrome said to use it as an image, rendering the text unselectable.
Alas, chrome no longer supports plugins so unless you can get ahold of an old version of chrome the XChange Plugin will not be working in there directly anymore.
If you really need this feature i recommend using internet explorer as it still supports our plugin.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
marceepoo
User

Post by marceepoo »

Adobe Acrobat somehow is able to capture web pages from Chrome.
Could I impose on you to ask Google how Adobe Acrobat is able to do that, even though Chrome no longer supports plugins?
I apologize for asking you to pose the question to Google (instead of contacting Google myself), but I lack the technical expertise to pose the question properly and/or to understand the response.

Thanks,
Marc
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello Marc,
It is not really in the scope of this forum, but in Google Chrome you can do a right mouse click onto a page and then click "Print...".
In the Print dialog box you can click the "Change" button and select "Save as PDF" as destination.
After this, just click the (blue) "Save" button to create the PDF.
The result is not always 100% equal to the original page, but the text in the PDF can be edited if you would like to do that.
Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the help Willy!

Hope the above advise is useful to you marceepoo!
Cheers,
Stefan