Excel "hyperlink" function result in pdf

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

capn_buzzcut
User

Excel "hyperlink" function result in pdf

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Excel 2013, Windows 8 Pro, 64bit.

When I generate a PDF using the Office add-in, some hyperlinks don't work. When I create an excel document, I can enter a hyperlink into a cell using the right-click, hyperlink... dialog and the resulting pdf works fine, whether I use the "Text to display" option (friendly name) when creating the link in Excel or not. However, when I create a hyperlink using the "hyperlink" function, it doesn't work unless the "friendly name" is the same as the address.

For instance, in cell A1 enter "www.somewhere.com", and in B1 enter "other name". Now in cell C1 enter "=hyperlink(A1,B1). In cell C1 of Excel you'll now have a working link. Generate a PDF using the office add-in though, and the link doesn't work. In the add-in settings, "Generate Links" and all "Convert MS Office Links" options are checked.

If you use the hyperlink function without the "friendly name" parameter, the link is created correctly. Hopefully I've explained all that right. Basically, Excel links created using the "hyperlink" function and the "friendly name" parameter don't work in the resulting pdf.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Excel "hyperlink" function result in pdf

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi capn_buzzcut,

does the hyperlink in C1 work when you click on it? I tried what you described and although the cell looks like it has a valid hyperlink (a mouse over says click once to follow ...) when I click it I get "The Address of this site is not valid. Check the address and try again."

If you are sure that the hyperlink is valid can you zip your excel file and the resultant pdf into an archive and post it here please?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
capn_buzzcut
User

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Sorry, bad example. Cell A1 must be a fully qualified address, such as http://www.somewhere.com. The link then works in Excel, but not in the resulting PDF. Likewise a "mailto" link, such as "mailto:me@there.com" in cell A1 will work in Excel, but not in the resulting PDF.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can you please zip and send both an example Excel file and the resulting PDF and we will take a look.

Thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
capn_buzzcut
User

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Here is a a zip with Excel and resulting PDF displaying the behavior
Attachments
PDF XChange Hyperlinks.zip
(10.19 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi - checked the PDF file sent - all is working here in the PDF-XChange Viewer and Acrobat Reader - but not in the PDF-XChange Editor and have asked the Dev team to investigate,

Does that align with your own findings ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PS ....

If you find these links are not functional in the Viewer - you must ensure that the Edit menu -> Preferences option -> Page Display options in the attached example are checked and the Dev team have advised me that the equivelent options will be available in our Editor in the next release - please see attached, so I shall assume this topic is resolved if we hear no further from you - thanks.
Attachments
Hyperlinks.zip
Settings for hyperlinks
(128.71 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

Best regards
Tracker Support
capn_buzzcut
User

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Unfortunately, the behavior I'm seeing is in PDF XChange Viewer version 2.5 (build 210.0) dated February 25, 2013. I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. On my system, in the resulting PDF, all hyperlinks on the page work except for the last 2 in the far right column. My options are just as you described. Viewing the same file on another system - Windows 7 with Acrobat reader, I see the same thing - the last 2 links do not work.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that capn_buzzcut,

I see the same - the Excel sheet does have functional Hyperlinks on those last two so I would also expect the resultant PDF to do so. I've asked one of the developers to take a look.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello capn_buzzcut,

After spending some time to investigate this one of our colleagues from the dev team advises that:
"It seems like this option forces IE to work only in x64 mode but currently we have no 64-bit plugin"

Best,
Stefan
capn_buzzcut
User

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Was this pasted to the wrong thread? I don't understand how this relates to Excel hyperlinks and Office2PDF.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi capn_buzzcut,

I have the same confusion here so I have re-opened the ticket and asked for clarification. As far as I can tell the PDF is malformed and it makes no difference what browser is used. We'll see what they say.

The Ticket is RT#1808: Excel "hyperlink" function result in pdf though that's just for internal use, I reference it here fort simplicity in cross referencing only.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello capn_buzzcut,

Apologies - seems there's been a mess-up. That reply was intended for this topic:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 39&t=16841
And not for yours. As Paul has already reopened the ticket - we will see to check this once again!

Best,
Stefan
capn_buzzcut
User

Post by capn_buzzcut »

Just for giggles, I did try the same exercise using a 32 bit Windows XP system and Excel 2007, but got the same results.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi capn_buzzcut,

Thanks for the update! We are still investigating for a proper solution for this problem.

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello capn_buzzcut,

I just got the following from one of my colleagues from the dev team:
"On API level Excel doesn't show hyperlink which was created with "=hyperlink" formula. So such links will not be converted to PDF."

So it seems like it's not possible to fix this on our end.

Regards,
Stefan