product feature question

PDF-X OCR SDK is a New product from us and intended to compliment our existing PDF and Imaging Tools to provide the Developer with an expanding set of professional tools for Optical Character Recognition tasks

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

alanlschoolcraft
User

product feature question

Post by alanlschoolcraft »

I am using Clarion 9. In Clarion, I can print a report to a .pdf file. But, that file does not appear to be searchable.

Do any of your products have a feature that would convert this pdf into a searchable pdf. Alternatively, I could print the report to wmf files. Do you have a product that would convert those to searchable pdf?

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: product feature question

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello alanlschoolcraft,

Welcome to our forums. We do have an OCR SDK - and a Clarion version of the same available for download here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-pro-sdk
And I've asked one of our clarion experts to also take a look at this topic to answer any clarion specific questions you might have.

Regards,
Stefan
alanlschoolcraft
User

Thanks Stefan -

That looks like exactly what I was asking for. I'll download and give it a try.

Alan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

You are welcome Alan,

And if you have any clarion specific questions - you can post them in the respective forum, as our clarion experts get notifications for all posts there and would be able to answer quicker than if you post e.g. in the OCR section :)

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support »

Hi Alan!

Before getting wound up with OCR, I suggest you look at our PDF-Tools 4.1 package which produces searchable PDF files directly from the WMF files produced by the Clarion Report Engine.

PDF-Tools 4.1 is a drop-in solution. You add the Global template to the application and then add the Procedure template to each Report procedure, configure it to specify output file name and other PDF parameters, compile and go. PDF-Tools is very flexible and work with vanilla Clarion, and also CPCS (now COT), RPM, Icetips Previewer, et al.

You can download and test the PDF-Tools 4.1 from https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools-sdk

As you are a new user, please select version 4.1 and ignore 4.0 which was an "intermediate bridge" solution for former users of our version 3.6 product.

The product is code-complete. The only wrinkle is that unlicensed copies will brand each PDF page with Demo watermarks. Once licensed, the demo watermarks disappear from subsequent PDFs.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
alanlschoolcraft
User

Craig,

Does this product text searchable PDFs?
Site Admin

Yes, it does! :D

Sorry for the delay. My work PC blew up on the 25th and this is my first day back online. :(
Craig Ransom
alanlschoolcraft
User

Craig,

I am wanting to generate text searchable pdf files in Clarion. I downloaded the Clarion version of Exchange Pro and all the templates installed perfectly. Now, I have to figure out where to start.

Your website says the install includes Clarion specific help and examples. I can't find them. The only examples folder seems to have examples for everything else. So.....

1. Where can I find Clarion specific help and example files?

2. Will PDF-Tools provide the ability to generate text searchable pdf files or do I need Exchange Pro? (your website lists this functionality only with the Pro version)

Thanks,
Site Admin

Hi Alan!

Beginning with Clarion 7, the Clarion installation was split into the GUI part, installed in \Program Files (x86)\SoftVelocity\Clarion9 folder. and the "3rdParty" - renamed "accessory" - docs and examples, which is found in the \Documents\SoftVelocity\Clarion9\accessory folder.

PDF-Tools 4.1 will generate searchable text files because the Clarion Report Engine generates WMF files containing text elements and formatting information.

I suggest first looking at \Documents\SoftVelocity\Clarion9\accessory\TrackerSP\PDF-Tools41_C7\abtpdf41.sln. After C9 converts the Solution, SAVE the Solution, CLOSE the Solution, and reopen it, or it might not compile and link correctly,
Craig Ransom
alanlschoolcraft
User

Thanks Craig. That tip alone was worth the price of the download :) I had no idea users C:\users\Public\Public Documents\Soft Velocity\Clarion9\Accessory..... even existed. I found all kinds of hidden third party products there........
Site Admin

:D
Craig Ransom
alanlschoolcraft
User

Craig,

When I try to compile, I get error Source file pdfbld40.clw not found. A search of my hard drive found pdfbld41.clw but not pdfbld40.clw.

I initially downloaded and installed PDF Exchange Pro and compiled to get this error. So, I downloaded PDF-Tools (PDFT41_CW.exe) and still get the error and I can't locate the clw on my drive.

Alan
alanlschoolcraft
User

Craig,

Never mind, I figured it out. For whatever reason I have both version 4.0 and 4.1 templates registered. I picked the wrong one. It's compiling and running.

I am very impressed with the quality of the documentation and examples. (and support)

Alan
Site Admin

:D
Craig Ransom