OnDocSpooled not firing - Windows 10 recent issue

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rdata
User

OnDocSpooled not firing - Windows 10 recent issue

Post by rdata »

Under Windows 10, the synchronous event OnDocSpooled is sometimes not firing. Identical print jobs work fine under Windows 7

We are wondering if this may be related to a recent round of system updates in Windows 10 last week.

We can solidly reproduce cases where OnDocSpooled does not fire. It may be related to the size or # of pages in the print job.

We are using version 4.0.201.0

Your help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: OnDocSpooled not firing - Windows 10 recent issue

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rdata,

Version 4 build 201 is a rather old one, and I believe it was designed well before Win 10 (and likely before Win 7 was out). Unfortunately we won't be able to fix bugs in older builds - so can you please test with the current latest V6.0 and let us know if you can still reproduce this?

Regards,
Stefan
markoa
User

Post by markoa »

I have the same problem in Windows 10, but with PDF-XChange Drivers API version 6.0.317.1. When converting large tif file (e.g. 230 pages) to PDF, events OnDocSpooled and OnFileSaved are most of the time not firing. This used to work with Windows 7 and 8.x.
As rdata also described, this seems to be related to the size of the print job, because conversion works fine with a tif having only few pages.
Any idea if this gets fixed soon?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello markoa,

Can you please try with 318.1 and if the problem still persists - share a small sample project that you can reproduce this with, and I will then ask our devs to take a look?

Please make sure that no license info is present in any sample project you post in these public forums.

Regards,
Stefan
markoa
User

Post by markoa »

I tested this with the latest 318.1 version and it can still be reproduced. OnEndDoc, OnDocSpooled and OnFileSaved are not firing when testing with large tif-file (240 pages, 20 MB, using CCITT Fax 4 Compression), while e.g. OnStartDoc, OnStartPage and OnEndPage are firing. With smaller tif (10 pages, 1 MB) it all works.
I cannot share any project code in public, but this code has been in production use for years, and has worked in Windows 7 and 8.x.
I'll share the TIFF that I have used to test this problem, you can try it yourself in Windows 10.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for this markoa,

You can't attach files larger than 5MB to the forums - so please upload it somewhere else and share the link after that!

Regards,
Stefan
markoa
User

Post by markoa »

I uploaded the tiff file to OneDrive, use the following link to download it:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjYi3xYI-KcdcnSAEIzq5vGLEG8

Please tell when you have downloaded it so that I will remove the file from OneDrive.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi markoa,
We have downloaded the file and will try to reproduce the issue. We will let you know the outcome soon.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I could not reproduce the problem with your file. Probably it is specific to the way your application prints this file.
Please provide an appropriate temp file (PDF-XChange printer generates a temp file for each print job).
Here are the instructions.

Please zip the temp file before uploading.
markoa
User

Post by markoa »

Instructions for getting the temp file did not work. When I launched PDFSaver6.exe manually to do the tweaks, PXC::CPXCControlEx instance creation in my code stopped working.

However, here is more information how you might get this problem reproduced.
- Create larger multi-page tif from the tif that you downloaded. 50 pages might not be enough, it seems sometimes to work. Use e.g. IrfanView to modify it to 250 pages long, that always fails in my tests.
- Print using ShellExecuteEx, with verb 'print'. Printing opens Windows Photo Viewer "Print Pictures" dialog, from where the actual printing is started.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Ok, I will do with an enlarged file. In fact, I tested printing in the way you described - from an external application (Windows Photo Viewer). Do you run 32- or 64-bit Windows 10?

But it is strange that you cannot print with manually launched pdfSaver process.
Please forcibly end the running pdfSaver process (if any), then do as in the instruction above (launch pdfSaver with /tweak /show and setup the tweak for temp files), then end the pdfSaver process.
Then try to print from your application.

Do not forget to reset the tweak after you have got the temp file, otherwise your temp dir will get bloated with PDF-X temp files.