Lite Driver Issue on Windows 10 Home

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

Lite Driver Issue on Windows 10 Home

Post by jeffp »

I just incorporated the latest Lite driver 6.0.322.5 into our installer. I have had two reports from Windows 10 Home users that the driver will not install.

They get a message that says:

"Windows can't install the PDF-XChange V6 Printer Driver (Lite) kernel-mode print driver. To obtain a driver that is compatible with the version of Windows you are running, contact the manufacturer."

Does the latest build of the Lite driver not work on Windows 10 Home.

We didn't get any reports of this when we were distributiong 6.0.322.4

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Lite Driver Issue on Windows 10 Home

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Jeff,

I've moved your topic to the correct section.

Are you installing the correct 32/64 bit version?
Also I presume this is the end user driver - as the Drivers API we provide is only for the fully featured standard one.

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Yes. The end user installer. It is the PDFXChange Lite 32/64 zip installer found on this page.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

The exe name is PDFXLite6.exe

This is the one I've been using for some time. I launch it with some custom params so that it changes the name to my product name. Been doing this for a while under my license agreement with you.

Today, just had another customer get the same error. He was running Window 10 Pro, so may not be just a Win10 Home thing after all.

Also, we installed in a several computers here in our office just to make sure, and it installed fine. Seems to be very isolated. Did that error message help?

For now, I've had him install the old version 4 lite driver which installed fine.

Have you seen this before?

--Jeff
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

I have seen this, just a few times but not often, and I have not to date found the cause for it. We have never been able to reproduce it here. Can you try the MSI installer and if it also has the issue use the command line to launch the installer with the logging switches /lvx!* C:\path\to\logfile.log and send us the log please? The logs from the exe are not as helpful.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Will see what I can find out.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. We installed it on another Windows 10 Pro machine here in our office and got the error. I then rolled back to the 6.0.322.4 build of the Lite Driver and reinstalled it on that same machine and it installed without the error. So initially it looks like it has something to do with the last build.

I'd be happy to do some more testing with this machine tomorrow to help you identify the cause of this. Just walk me through what you'd like me to do step by step.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Wait. It's likely another issue. We did some more testing and got the error even with Build 6.0.322.4 so my guess it is likely something a Windows update is causing.

Anyway, we uninstalled the driver and then ran the latest .msi install with the params you gave in this thread, and I have attached the log file below. I hope this will help id the issue here.

Another item to note, it seems that if you re-run the installer after getting the error, it goes through fine the second time.

Please let me know if you need us to help out in any other way since we now have a computer in house that we can replicate this issue on.
logfile.zip
(44.31 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Any word yet on this one?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

i have given the dev member responsible a reminder and hope to have an answer shortly - thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Have you been able to replicate this on your end?
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,
This is known issue.
Please see this topic.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Will it be fixed in 6.0.322.6?
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Jeff, this is a bug in a Windows system module and Microsoft has already fixed it. For some reason, those customers still have an outdated version of this module.
Please read this post from the topic mentioned above.
Will it be fixed in 6.0.322.6?
We plan to add a check in the driver installer for this case and to update this system module if necessary. This will be available in the next build (322.6 or 323).
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.