Programmatically changing Z-order of objects

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ashmid
User

Programmatically changing Z-order of objects

Post by ashmid »

I'm wondering if it is possible to use the PDF-Tools SDK to set the Z-Order of the elements in my PDF file.
For instance, when using the Pitstop plug-in in Acrobat, one can click on any individual element, and then use the right-click menu to choose "send to back", "bring to front", etc. I'd like to do the same thing programmatically, via the SDK. Is this possible?
(For comparison, the QuickPDF library has a similar type of function called MoveContentStream, which shifts the order of content streams within a given page; however, this only allows shifting whole content streams, and it does not allow shifting the z-order of individual image/text objects the way the pitstop GUI does. I'd like to be able to control the z-order on an element basis, shifting each element forward or back as needed)
Related to the z-order are the reading-order tags. Adobe Acrobat has a "touchup reading order" tool that allows the specification of reading-order tags, to indicate the proper order for parsing the text. Can this, too, be done via the PDF-Tools SDK?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Programmatically changing Z-order of objects

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, I'm afraid it is impossible for now. The current Tools SDK has very limited functionality for changing a page's content (without resorting to the Low Level API provided - and this requires extensive knwowledge of the PDF format - and as stated in the help file is provided without ongoing technical support)

The V5 SDK (released later this year) has an object model for a page's content which allows you to manipulate (all) objects on the page, until then I am afraid we cannot provide a 'High Level' api for such manipulation.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hello Ivan,
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear about the upcoming V5 that will provide this object model. May I ask please:
1] If I purchase the PDF-Tools SDK package now, will V5 be a free upgrade, or will the upgrade path entail significant additional expense?
2] Is there a reasonable estimate as to when V5 will be available?
3] Will the object model be part of the basic PDF-Tools SDK, or only part of the Pro package?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ashmid,

I can answer 2 of your questions:
1] If I purchase the PDF-Tools SDK package now, will V5 be a free upgrade, or will the upgrade path entail significant additional expense?
No - a purchase of either PDF-Tools or PDF-XChange 4 Pro now will entitle you to a V5 upgrade for free.
2] Is there a reasonable estimate as to when V5 will be available?
Today we released this : https://www.pdf-xchange.com/company ... s/view/111
3] Will the object model be part of the basic PDF-Tools SDK, or only part of the Pro package?
Yes it will be available in all SDKs

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Sounds great!
Thanks for the info
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hello, earlier this year I asked about manipulating the Z-order of objects within a single content stream. Ivan explained that this was not possible, but that an upcoming release of the SDK would support it. Is this capability ready yet?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

No,

this is planned for the 1st quarter of 2013 - thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hello,

You mentioned earlier that a release was planned for the first quarter of 2013 which would support programmatic handling of the Z-order of objects. Is this available now?

Sincerely,
Avi
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Avi,

There's been some delays and for now the estimate is that the end user Editor will be available early this autumn, and the SDK package will follow as soon as possible after that.

Regards,
Stefan
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. I really do feel that your PRO SDK (with its low-level capabilities) is the most superior SDK on the market, despite this shortcoming, and I am inclined to order it presently. May I trust that given your prediction for the release of the new version of the SDK (with the Z-order manipulation ability), if I order the PRO SDK today, I'll be able to receive the new version as a free upgrade? (That is, even if the upgrade ends up being delayed a bit more than a year, can I trust that given our discussion here you will honor a purchase today with the upgrade when it does come out?)

- Avi
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Avi,

It will definitely take less than 12 months but yes certainly - we will honour such a request for upgrade if you purchase the SDK now.

Regards,
Stefan
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Thanks, Stefan. I have now purchased a full license to Tracker PDF-XChange SDK Pro. I look forward to the new release.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hi Stefan,

As per our communications above - I purchased the Tracker XChange Pro SDK in September 2013, having been assured from Tracker that I would be able to obtain a licence to the Version 5 SDK whenever it is released, even if it should take more than a year.

Please advise: has the Version 5 SDK been released, and, if so, how can I please obtain my license to the upgraded SDK?

Sincerely,
Dr. Avi Shmidman
Bar Ilan University
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

The replacement for PDF-Tools (The "PDF-XChange Core API" is due out later this month and all users with current maintenance in place will indeed receive a free upgrade.

You can download a pre-release version (albeit as part of the new PDF-XChange Editor SDK) - to which you will not have access in full - here;

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... editor-sdk

Please note the Editor SDK will not be available as part of any other SDK license - you will continue to have access to the Viewer SDK within the limited volume restrictions provided as part of the PDF-Tools SDK license you have now - but the actual ActiveX Editor SDK requires a standalone license on its own.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ashmid
User

Post by ashmid »

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply. You wrote, "all users with current maintenance in place will indeed receive a free upgrade." In my situation, I do not have current maintenance; however, if you look at the previous messages in this thread, you will see that we specifically discussed this: I purchased the package back in 2013 because I had the budget allocation for it then even though I specifically needed the features that were to be added in the next version. Stefan wrote that even if the upgrade comes out in later than a year, Tracker would still honor the promise for a free upgrade to the next version. Hence I wrote to please take you up on that offer, and to exercise the promise to receive a free upgrade to the next version.
Sincerely,
Avi
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the reply Ashmid.

Could you please email your license info to sales@pdf-xchange.com and I will investigate and reply - being perfectly honest usually we would expect you to have maintenance in place and current - but I agree it does appear that you were given a commitment and in that case we would honour that.

Many thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support