PDF Editor 7.0.323.0: Document tabs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

PDF Editor 7.0.323.0: Document tabs

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,
there are some (minor) issues with the document tabs in PDF Editor 7.0.323.0:
  • The shrink document tabs setting (Preferences>General>Tabs and Windows>Shrink document tabs) is only applied on importing the preferences. Even a restart of the editor (I'm using the portable version) does not apply this setting.
  • If shrink document tabs is unset (and enabled via preferences import), the scroll speed using the mouse wheel or the arrow buttons is much slower than in v6. This makes scrolling through the list a bit tedious. I'd like to suggest to add an "accelerator" key (like shift) to increase the scroll speed significantly if the slower speed is intentional.
Apart from that I like the new release so far, especially the shortcut bar in the title.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF Editor 7.0.323.0: Document tabs

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello christian kuhlmann,

Thanks for the kind words!

You reported this as your first issue "he shrink document tabs setting is only applied on importing the preferences."
Does this mean that this checkbox is not checked for you, and you can't make it stay checked?
I had no problems with changing it's state and saving it between Editor sessions.
As you are using the portable Editor - are there sufficient write privileges for the folder where it is? As the Editor has to make changes to a file in that folder to store any new settings.

As for the issue with the scroll speed - I will pass this to my colleagues in the dev team to investigate.

Regards,
Stefan
christian kuhlmann
User

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello christian kuhlmann,
Does this mean that this checkbox is not checked for you, and you can't make it stay checked?
I had no problems with changing it's state and saving it between Editor sessions.
Hi Stefan,
what I tried to describe was that despite the checkbox being set or cleared (and being remembered between editor sessions), it has no effect on the tab bar for me. The tab width just isn't changed until I export and re-import my settings. When doing so, the correct tab width (as specified by the setting at the time of the export) is applied to the UI. Changing the setting afterwards shows the same behavior: It's only applied to the UI on re-import.
I'm not sure whether this is unique to the portable install (it's a bit too early for me to replace my installed version). The editor was executed from a folder where my logged in user has full permissions.

Kind regards,
Christian
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christian,

it appears to be working for me in the 7.0.323.1 pre-release I am looking at. Having said that, it is not a 'Portable' version.

There are quite a few fixes in this next release, many of them UI related. My suggestion is to wait for the release tomorrow when all the versions will be available and test again in both the portable and installed versions.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
christian kuhlmann
User

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Christian,

it appears to be working for me in the 7.0.323.1 pre-release I am looking at. Having said that, it is not a 'Portable' version.

There are quite a few fixes in this next release, many of them UI related. My suggestion is to wait for the release tomorrow when all the versions will be available and test again in both the portable and installed versions.

regards
Hi Paul,
I felt lucky today and installed the 323.1 release. Unfortunately the problem persists for me. The portable version is affected as well. I'd be grateful for any advice you can give me on how to narrow this issue down. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I wonder whether other preferences might be affected as well and would like to sort this out. I'm using Win7 Pro x64 if that might be related. //Edit: I also have attached my settings, although I'm not sure whether they are the problem.
Kind regards,
Christian
Attachments
settings.7z
v7 settings
(95.46 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Christian,

I cannot test your settings because the Editor is crashing on import of them. We are investigating this right now.

Without using your settings I find the tabs are shrinking as expected and I only make the settings in preferences and restart the Editor - no need to export/import the settings.

With Shrink turned off I see this:
and when enabled I see this:

Is it only this setting that you are finding needs to be exported/imported to be usable or are there other settings?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
christian kuhlmann
User

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:I cannot test your settings because the Editor is crashing on import of them. We are investigating this right now.
Funny, this works for me on a second computer.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Without using your settings I find the tabs are shrinking as expected and I only make the settings in preferences and restart the Editor - no need to export/import the settings.
I get the same issue on my second machine (also Win7 x64). So I guess it has either to do with my previous installs, settings or the OS.
Something I find interesting is that you need to restart the editor to apply the settings. On import, I don't need a restart and I don't recall one was necessary in v6 either.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Is it only this setting that you are finding needs to be exported/imported to be usable or are there other settings?
I haven't changed a lot of them since the import to care of most of them. Changing e.g. the "open each new document in a new window" under the same options category has immediate effect for me. The same is true for the settings under "Customize UI". I'll let you know if I find another one that behaves odd.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Could you please try Build 323.2 released yesterday and advise if this helps ?

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Christian,

7.0.323.2 has fixed the import issue and I can (and have) tested with your settings. From what I am seeing it is all working correctly, the iport happens and settings are applied without an Editor restart as yo said. With the "Shrink" option not set I am seeing the same scroll speed as before and with it set the tabs are shrinking:

What are you seeing in 7.0.323.2?

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
christian kuhlmann
User

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Christian,
What are you seeing in 7.0.323.2?
Hi Paul,
7.0.323.2 has fixed the issue for me as well, thanks for the quick update.
As for the scroll speed: I was referring to the speed when tabs don't shrink. It think it's a bit lower than in v6 and could be increased a little. But maybe I just have too many tabs open :-)
Kind regards,
Christian
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Christian,

Glad to hear the main issue is fixed!
As for the scrolling speed - I will pass it along, but in the mean time have you tried using this option:
sorted_tabs.png
sorted_tabs.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Merry Christmas,
Steafn