icon size

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jpk2118
User

icon size

Post by jpk2118 »

is it possible to shrink size of icons and have icons only like in viewer?

also i can create a new toolbar but it says new on the customize bar but its shaded out.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: icon size

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Icon sizes are fixed, but the toolbars can be resized to a single row by dragging.

New Toolbar Creation is not implemented yet.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input as usual Bhikkhu!

Bhikkhu is exactly right - the icon sizes are fixed for now, but I believe that we are adding an option to be able to change the icon sizes. I can't say, for now, when this will be implemented.

As for the ability to create to create new toolbars, I believe that this is going to be added to build 308. For now, toolbars can be customized by going to View --> Toolbars --> Customize Toolbars --> Commands and dragging the toolbars around to taste.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello @all,

I was wondering whether there is any news on toolbar button size customization. On a 4K monitor, the icons can be tiny, especially with the toolbar in single row mode:

Best Regards
David.P
Last edited by David.P on Mon May 30, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

Thanks for the post - I'm afraid that I've not heard anything further on that, but I do know that we plan to implement a Ribbon UI style that users can use (optional) that you should find more usable on touch screen devices. I'm not sure when this is planned, currently, but it should be within the next few builds.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Will and thank you for the reply.

I think however that a ribbon UI is not exactly what were needed for high DPI monitors (i.e. not necessarily touchscreens).

Rather, the program's toolbar icon size should be changed according to the Windows DPI settings automatically. Interestingly, even the ancient Word 2003 does that, for example.

As PDF-XChange Editor apparently is High DPI aware, this definitely is missing in my view.

Thank you for considering,
Best Regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

In order to increase the icon sizes, we would have to create and provide one or more new sets of icons that were larger, which would increase both the size of the installer and the size of the installed app, potentially by quite a bit. We already have hundreds icons and in doing this, we'd end up doubling or tripling that number.

While it's not a definite "no", it's just not something that we can prioritize for now. I do suspect that the ribbon UI will be easier for both touchscreen users and users with high DPI screens, but not having a UHD screen, I can't really say.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Will,

however these days where many are moving to high DPI displays, scalable icons are basically becoming a standard requirement.

PDF-XChange Editor also already seems to have two different Icon sizes built-in -- one for the single row toolbars and a slightly bigger one for the double row toolbars.

It would already help if PDF-XChange Editor would simply scale its existing icons up, depending on the Windows DPI settings (as many other applications do).

What's more, also in the future you still could use only one icon set -- it only would have to be designed larger and scaled-down for those low DPI displays.

Summing up, I should strongly suggest that a high DPI aware application must be able to scale also it's icons.

Thank you and
Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

Scaling the current icons up or down is not a good idea - the only way that they can be scaled up without resulting in pixelation, would be exactly double their size (too large) and down-scaling can also reduce the quality of the icons.

As I said before, it's not a no and I personally think that offering larger icon sizes is necessary. It's just that we obviously have a limited number of people available to work on any given thing at any given time and, at the moment, they are all swamped with other tasks of greater priority, with other high-priority tasks planned for immediately after they're finished.

I'll bring this up at the next meeting, to get a more definite and clearer picture of where we stand at the moment.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Will, for dealing with the issue anyway!

Btw, scaling the icons up or down is what most applications actually do (unless they do not have vectorized icons yet), because obviously there is no possibility to create and provide bitmap icons for every possible screen resolution.

Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries David :)

Our problem is that we're using raster format icons (probably bitmap, but not sure offhand), hence why we cannot use the scaling as a feasible solution for now.

I would venture that vector icons are almost definitely our future, but recreating the icons as vector images is not necessarily particularly difficult, it would just take a lot of time that we don't have to spare, at the moment.

I've made a note to bring this up at the next meeting. I'll try to keep you posted on the outcome of the discussion (if any).

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

That's understood Will!

Only for additional clarification I shall add below screenshot ("a picture is worth a thousand words").

The screenshot shows the well-known screenshot tool FastStone Capture/Editor, which inside shows another screenshot, namely of PDF-XChange Editor for comparison.

(The screenshot is taken on a high resolution 4K monitor and scaled-down in order to fit in the forum's width, click on the screenshot to view original size).

You can see in the screenshot that not only the menus but also the icons of FastStone Editor are of normal size. In contrast, while all window elements including the menus of PDF-XChange Editor are also sized to to fit the 4K resolution, the icons are not -- which makes them barely discernible.

Therefore, although you are using raster icons, scaling (as many applications do for the moment, including FastStone Capture as shown below) still would be quite feasible, and would make PDF-XChange Editor fit for high DPI monitors -- without that much work on your side for the time being.

(Click to enlarge to original resolution)

Please take this only as a further clarification and visualization for your meeting!

Thank you and
Best regards
David
:)
Last edited by David.P on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks David, I see what you mean. That'll be a useful demo.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
spinverse ltd.
User

Post by spinverse ltd. »

This topic appears to have been dormant for some time. I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, a Windows 10 device with a second display with 1680x1050 resolution. The icons are disturbingly small despite the fact that they are surrounded by a sufficiently large square. The situation is the same on tablet's own screen and the external display.

BTW, I had an icon size problem with MS PowerPoint (too large icons), but that was resolved by recent Windows 10 and MS Office updates.
ScreenShot.pdf
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello spinverse ltd.,

Your screenshot is from the Viewer. It has no options to make those icons larger. Please download and install the Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
Then drag the toolbar down - this should expand it to make it on two rows, and the icons in it larger (this does not work for the Viewer).

Regards,
Stefan
qed007
User

Post by qed007 »

I have the same problem and it is not about icon size and scalability only.

When I use multiple screens with different resolutions (usually three: Surface Book with 2000*3000, another two more like 1920*1040), and I move PDF-Change Editor from one screen to another, the icon size grows or shrinks accordingly. This depends on which window you open the programme originally. If I open it in a 1920*1040 window and then move it to the 2000*3000 window, both icons AND menu text become tiny, very difficult to see.

When I open the PDF Editor in the 2000*3000 window and move it to the 1920*1040 window, the icones and menu text become huge (disproportional to the difference in resolution, it seems to me) and take up a lot of the screen real estate.

Other software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Firefox) recognise the change in screen resolution and adjust menu text and icon sizes accordingly, so the icon remains useable in the new window.

Whilst I am no expert, I guess there must be standard modules for adjusting icon and menu text size in situations like this (using Windows 10)? Are there any plans to do this, as, like someone commented, people are increasingly using multiple screens with different resolutions, where this can be a real issue?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello qed007,

Can you please check in Help -> About and make sure that you use the current latest build (320.1)?
I only have one screen so can't test it here but some of my colleagues from the dev team have told me that we should detect if different screens are with different DPI settings (this should have been specified in Windows already), and pick that up and scale the window accordingly.

Regards,
Stefan