Troubleshooting Startup Performance

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dharlan@uct.com
User

Troubleshooting Startup Performance

Post by dharlan@uct.com »

We have one client that Editor (3.0.307.2) take 90+ seconds to start. This machine is near identical to many others we have that do not have this delay problem. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but startup remains very slow. Task Manager shows no performance problems or even much CPU usage.

Any suggestions on how to determine what on this machine is causing the problem?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting Startup Performance

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the post - this is something that I've actually been investigating alongside the Dev. Team. Could you tell me if any (or all) of the following helps?

1) Try renaming the Dictionaries folder in the Editor's Program Files folder.
2) Try renaming the Plugins folder(s) Editor's Program Files folder.
3) If you have customized the toolbars, please try the following:

i) Go to Edit --> Preferences --> Export Settings... and save the settings to somewhere easy to find.

ii) Go to View --> Toolbars --> Customize Toolbars --> Reset and
see if that makes a difference.

4) Try renaming the file extension on the History.dat file to something else (i.e. History.dat1 or History.NULL).

If doing any or all of the above helps, then let me know. Also, please let me know what makes the most difference. For myself, I've only ever been able to reproduce the issue when first starting the Editor after a reboot, or after leaving my machine overnight.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
dharlan@uct.com
User

Resolved. Here's what I did;
1) Exited PDF-XChange Editor
2) Renamed Editor Folders: Dictionary, Plugins (32,64&Data) and stamps
3) Re-started Editor via program menu and by pdf file opening - No change in performance
4) Cleaned up registry manually. HKLM/Software and HKCU/Software, removed keys for Viewer and Tools 4
5) Re-started Editor via program menu and by pdf file opening - No change in performance
6) Restarted computer
7) Launched Editor via opening a pdf file, Editor and file never opened, though task manager showed a running process
8) Launched Editor via program menu, opened in about 20 seconds
9) Ended both pdfedit processes via the Task Manager
10) Launched Editor via Programs and it opened near instantly. Closed
11) Launched Editor via pdf file open and opened near instantly.

I'm guessing it was the registry entries, most likely those for the Tools 4, but can't prove that. Hope this helps.
~Dan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that Dan,

this is great to hear. Truth be told those registry keys "shouldn't" be the cause but it certainly gives us some ideas where to look in future.

Do let us know if this ever reverts to the slow start up.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
dharlan@uct.com
User

Will do, thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

Hi, my office recently just purchased 1000 PDF Xchange licenses and pilot deployed to 10 users. 8 of them are encountering problem in opening PDF files with more than 1 min.

I tried to rename the folders mentioned and it was not working. Until when the user have to go to Task Manager and end PDF X-Change process. Reopen the file and it was working fine. After rebooting machine, the same problem occured and we have to repeat the same step. Removed from Task Manager then reopen the PDF files and it was able to open instantly

Please advise what should I do to help the users as I can't imagine if it was deploying to the 1000 users with this problem
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

We have recently purchased 1000 licence and pilot deployed to 10 users. 8 of them were opening PDF files taken more than 90 secs

Problem able to resolve by opening PDF file for first time and end process from Task Manager. After that, reopen PDF file and it will appears instantly

Can you advise me on further or better solution as if we deploy it to 1000users and they are going to face the slow opening problem, then we will in trouble to answer.

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Sannis,

can you please advise what the build number is from the About Window and the Windows OS/Environment in which you are installing as this is not an issue we are currently aware of?

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

It's Version 3.0 Build 307.2. We are using Win7 64bits
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

I have tried to install with build 308 and same problem still persist
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Sannis,

Thanks for the post - just to make sure I've got this clear, for testing purposes, you've now got build 308 installed and have tried all of the steps mentioned to Dan, none of which help? Also, if I'm understanding right, this only seems to happen with a reboot?

If so, that's consistent with what I've been seeing. I've not had a chance to test this with the latest build, but I've marked it down and will continue testing this later today.

If I've missed the mark here, then let me know and please clarify all the necessary details.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

Thanks for the post - just to make sure I've got this clear, for testing purposes, you've now got build 308 installed and have tried all of the steps mentioned to Dan, none of which help? Also, if I'm understanding right, this only seems to happen with a reboot?
Yes. After the computer boot up and first use of PDF, user has to click first time and end process at Task Manager, then double click on PDF again only it will open instantly. Once the same machine reboot for whatever reason, same process has to be in placed in order to open the file instantly. Please note that we have tried on 5kb file size PDF on local C drive only and confirm that it was not file size issue

Appreciate you could provide us a best solution as we are still holding the balance of 9xx licenses. Thank you
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Sannis,

I spent a while testing this, on Friday and my tests have confirmed this. From what I was able to determine, this appears to be caused by one of our plugins and the Dev. Team are now looking into what can be done to fix this.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

Sannis wrote:
Yes. After the computer boot up and first use of PDF, user has to click first time and end process at Task Manager, then double click on PDF again only it will open instantly. Once the same machine reboot for whatever reason, same process has to be in placed in order to open the file instantly. Please note that we have tried on 5kb file size PDF on local C drive only and confirm that it was not file size issue

Appreciate you could provide us a best solution as we are still holding the balance of 9xx licenses. Thank you
Hello!

Any solution yet? We have the same exact situation here. If you try to launch PDF-XChange Editor, it will not launch. You have to try a new launch. Then it will start but it takes about 20second. If you stop the PDFXEdit.exe process after first launch and try again, it will launch instatly. If you don't, there's two PDFXEdit.exe processes: Hanging one and other that starts slowly. Over couple thousand deployments to do..
Sannis
User

Post by Sannis »

KariV wrote:
Sannis wrote:

Hello!

Any solution yet? We have the same exact situation here. If you try to launch PDF-XChange Editor, it will not launch. You have to try a new launch. Then it will start but it takes about 20second. If you stop the PDFXEdit.exe process after first launch and try again, it will launch instatly. If you don't, there's two PDFXEdit.exe processes: Hanging one and other that starts slowly. Over couple thousand deployments to do..

Should I feel lucky that is not my problem only :? Hopefully there is solution for us otherwise we are in big trouble
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts - the Dev. Team have asked if it would be possible to get a remote session with either (or both) of you? If that's something that you're willing to do, then please take a look at this KB article and send the requested information to support@pdf-xchange.com. Please do NOT post your details on here!

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts - the Dev. Team have asked if it would be possible to get a remote session with either (or both) of you? If that's something that you're willing to do, then please take a look at this KB article and send the requested information to support@pdf-xchange.com. Please do NOT post your details on here!

Cheers,
Hi!

I'm sorry but remote session is not possible. What KB article?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello KariV,

Most likely Will had this KB article in mind:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/357

However you say that remote connections are out of the equation - so I am afraid that we won't be able to help you further at this point. We will keep an eye on this issue, and if someone else reports it where we can connect and reproduce - we will try to get that fixed.

Regards,
Stefan
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

Hello!

I have used PDF-XChange 5 Pro 32bit .msi installer on Windows 7 32bit. Editor seems to launch on Windows Xp 32bit just fine. I use WMware virtualmachine and results are same in our real environment.
What kind of information would be useful to you to? I have monitored unsuccessful launch and successfull launch with processmonitor. just tell me waht to do. I have repackager too so I can take snapshots too. Just tell me what to do first.

Oh, and I just downloaded latest .msi installer for PDF-XChange 5 Pro 32bit and I get warning that says nothing! Is our serial invalid now? Exe installer works fine but same launch problem. But we need to use .msi that works.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Kari,

Thanks for the post - if you don't like the idea of a remote session, would you be amenable to us sending a special debug build of the Editor? If so, could you please email me directly at will@tracker-software.com and I will forward the special build, once it has been prepared.

With regards to the serial key, we've implemented a new protection system and serial key format with Version 5.5 Build 308. I would suggest taking a look at this KB article for instructions on upgrading to the newest Version:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... rade-Guide

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello,
I have the same problem with the build 308 now. Hope for some hints for fixes..

Will, you mentioned that you observed the problem after restart or leaving the computer over the night.
Did you try to find the possible reasony for you?

Regards
Piotr
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Piotr,

Unfortunately we haven't found the exact cause. There seems to be 2 or more different issues resulting in different loading times for users. For me, the issue appears that it may be with one (or more) of our plugins, as renaming the plugins folder (so that the Editor can no longer load the plugins) dramatically reduces the loading time for me. The first place that I would start, to troubleshoot, would be to try renaming the plugins folder in the Editor's Program Files folder.

If that doesn't help, could provide a little more detail on approximately how long the Editor takes to load, as well as any other information that you feel may be relevant.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Will,

OK, I'll check this.

Further I have some suspicion in respect to the AppSense http://www.appsense.com/ User Virtualization as this leads to another problem I observe (concerns the selection of the predefined printer settings which are not seen by PDFXchange when AppSense Client Virtualization Service is running...).

I'll post any further meaningful observations.

Bye, Piotr
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

Hi!

Good news! My launch problems were related to some missing Windows 7 update. I try to resolve what it is asap.

Edit: Oh, and I think my Editors behavior was not related to plugins because I tried installation whitout them.
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Kariv,
this sounds really strange and makes me very corious.

What kind of update is it? How did you find it? Where do you know that it works, as from your post I read that you will fix the problem first...

Regards
Piotr
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

we are looking into a number of possible causes ..

One we have found is that if a user has previously had a document opened in the Editor, closes it, then reopens again, the process has not yet been properly released - can you confirm if this is so in your case by opening the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Escape) and checking for existing processes while waiting for the application to start? Also, please confirm if there is more than one process.

Edit: For more info, please see this link: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... ery-slowly

HTH
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Patrick,

the affected use case is the first application start after the boot of the OS, so there shall be no "existing processes" running.

Cheers
Piotr
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Piotr,

Could you advise on how long, approximately, the application takes to start? Also, does renaming any of the folders listed above help?

Lastly, could you please email support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this topic, and attach you settings? (Can be exported through Edit --> Export all settings....).

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

pmalecki wrote:Hello Kariv,
this sounds really strange and makes me very corious.

What kind of update is it? How did you find it? Where do you know that it works, as from your post I read that you will fix the problem first...

Regards
Piotr
Hello!

These were the updates that made Editor work:
KB2936068
KB2931356
KB2926765
KB2922229
KB2953522

I installed and tried before update and Editor hangs after reboot. Then I uninstalled and these updates were deployed by our deployment dudes. Then I installed again and all was good!! But then I uninstalled updates and Editor just keeps working :shock:

On my virtual environment I updated Windows from Windows update and these were the same updates as in above:
KB2931356
KB2926765
KB2922229
After these it worked. Then I revert my Virtual machine back to stoneage(no updates at all) and Editor will not launch after reboot. Process just hangs there.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi KariV,

Thanks for the post and the info. - could you please try following the instructions in this KB and see if they help?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... ery-slowly

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
KariV
User

Post by KariV »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi KariV,

Thanks for the post and the info. - could you please try following the instructions in this KB and see if they help?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... ery-slowly

Cheers,
Hello, Will!

You understood me wrong. I just solved my Editor launch problem. :D And those updates made it work. And yes, after killing the hanging brocess Editor works just fine untill reboot. But I don't have that problem anymore. All is good now! :D
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hi,

after few days fighting with the problem it doesn't appear anymore... This makes me really confused as I don't like the things which come and go...
I suspect some updates have been installed or some changes have been done by the IT department in the background.
As always, I'll keep observing.
Cheers
Piotr
Last edited by pmalecki on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the info. - definitely let us know if the problem persists.

KariV - Sorry for the misunderstanding! I'm glad that you managed to resolve the problem :) let us know if it comes back.

Also, the Dev. Team have advised that they have fixed the issue with the 'dead' process. This fix should be available for the next build. We certainly appreciate everyone's patience and help with this!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mlauff
User

Post by mlauff »

Hi,

I am running into the same issue (slow startup) and noticed that the process consume all of my RAM, goes down again and then the application is started.

Killing the process and trying again doesn't help.

Warm regards,
Markus
Attachments
Starting PDF XChange.JPG
Last edited by mlauff on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mlauff,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for your post.
Can you please check and make sure that you are using the current latest Editor build (you can do that in Help -> About)?
If you are not on build 322.7 - please update first - and then if the problem is still there, please do let us know!

Regards,
Stefan
mlauff
User

Post by mlauff »

I confirm that it is 6.0 Build 322.7 (Aug 11 2017; 11:09:15)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mlauff,

Thanks for confirmign this.
Can you please tell us which antivirus product are you using?
Also - does this happen if you just double click on the Editor Icon on your desktop, or when you double click a file. And does this happen with any file or with just a specific one?

Regards,
Stefan
mlauff
User

Post by mlauff »

Hi Stefan,

it happens both, when directly starting (without file) and also double clicking on a file.

I am using Windows Defender. Just switched it off, but problems stays.

Thanks for your help,
warm regards,
Markus
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Markus,

Thanks for confirming this!
I will need to discuss your case with my colleagues in the Canadian office - and we will post back here as soon as we have some further advise as to why this might be happening!

Regards,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Please try to remove history.dat and historyThumbs.dat file (would be good to make a backup, just in case).
Both these files are located into %AppData%\Tracker Sofware\PDFXEditor\3.0 folder.

Also, please export Editor's settings (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings), and delete that key from the registry.

If that help, please send us these files and exported registry for further in-house investigation.
If it doesn't help, please let us know.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
tigerbrain engineering
User

Post by tigerbrain engineering »

We are on V6.0.321.0 and having this issue as well. It is odd however. It moves around the office. Many people have had the issue but never at the same time. It did not start happening for us until I blocked all ports on our outgoing firewall, except 80 and 443. I was wondering if it revolves around licensing(calling home)... Since it is staggered around the office and does not happen for more than a few days for any one person. It sounds like some sort of timeout.
I have not updated to the latest version yet, but I did try the fix from Ivan on 16 Oct. It did not work for the individual workstation.
I would be willing to work with you guys via a remote session, however, it would have to be with only certain users when they have the issue.

Thank you
Mike
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Are you prepared to do some tests by de-activating one or more plugins of PDF-XChange Editor?

You can do so, by clicking Edit > Preferences... > Plugins, and begin by unchecking the SharePoint plugin.
After that, exit the Editor and execute some tests.

If this does not help, then continue de-activating one or more plugins until all are unchecked.
At my opinion, it will be of interest to know if this finally helps or not.

Best regards.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Actually, there is kind of "call home" event - the Editor checks installed serials for the upgrade. It is helpful when a key was renewed, the Editor will automatically download and install new key. But it definitely uses http or https.
By the way, there is easy way to disable this feature:
1) using GPO. Please download attached archive with .admx and .adml files inside. Unzip this files to corresponding folders (c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions and c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US), and using GPO utility set "Administrative Templates\Tracker Software: PDF-XChange Editor\Registration\Allow Auto-upgrade Serial Keys" to "Disabled";

2) Or add DWORD entry b.CanAutoUpgradeSerials with value 0 into the registry HKLM\Software\Policies\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Registration

Please let us know if that helps
Attachments
pdfx_editor_gpo.zip
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
tigerbrain engineering
User

@Ivan
Thank you for the updated ADMX files. I have uploaded them to our domain controller and have rolled out that setting. It was one that I had not setup yet. Thank you for that info.
However, this did not fix the problem. Opening a 22 page 6.7MB PDF from a network share took 21.5 seconds. Opening a 1 page 215K PDF from same share took 21ish seconds.

@ Willy Van Nuffel
I did as you asked and found that the Sharepoint plugin was causing the slowdown. I disabled all plugins and it opened the two documents mentioned above instantly. I turned them all back on and the PDFs were opening slow again. Unchecked all but the Sharepoint plugin and it was still slow. Checked them all except Sharepoint and they opened instantly again.
Thank you for the workaround. I'll let everyone know how to uncheck that in the office. Should be a time saver for sure.

@Both of you
Not sure why unchecking the Sharepoint plugin helps as the problem moves around the office. Before doing any of this I asked my user this morning if he was having the issue and he said no. Showed me that his files were opening instantly. Went to another user and found that he was having the problem. Then I noticed I was having the issue too. That's when I unchecked the Sharepoint plugin on my machine and everything was instant. So I am not sure what is really going on.
This may still require further investigation...

Mike
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Tracker Software Development is already aware about problems with the SharePoint plugin, and for as far as I know they are working on it.

I hope that Tracker Software Support can tell us something more about planned updates of the plugin.

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Mike and all,

The SharePoint plug-in will try to recognize if a network location is SharePoint capable or a normal one, and this will cause a slowdown the first time the plug-in accesses a network location. Currently this is done every Editor session, and a change we will develop will make such a check once every 24 hours.

Regards,
Stefan
tigerbrain engineering
User

Thank you all!

We do not have, nor ever plan to use, Sharepoint. Checking every 24 hours will still cause an unnecessary slowdown in any environment. That would be approximately 5.5 hours of time wasted across a month for our 50 users. 20 sec * 50 users / 60 sec = 16 minutes * 20 days = 333 minutes / 60 minutes = 5.5 hours

Is there a way to disable this plugin through GPO? If not, could there be something added to the ADMX files that allows us to do so. It would seem to be a great addition for more than just the Sharepoint plugin. Thank you for the consideration.
Mike
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Mike,

Disable the SharePoint plug-in manually for one user account, and then copy the keys from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Plugins\Disabled\
And distribute them to all others to disable the desired plug-ins for everyone.

Regards,
Stefan
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

In new build of the Editor we will support disabling plugins via GPO.