Copying URLs and warning

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

glocal
User

Copying URLs and warning

Post by glocal »

It is very odd that there is no context menu option to copy the URL of a link, particularly when the URL may not be visible to select and copy manually (eg because it is hidden behind clickable text or an image).

Also, could you make the URL warning optional for all sites? It can't be just me finding the warning annoying. The tooltip showing the URL should be sufficient. After all, a browser doesn't warn us every time we click on a link.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Copying URLs and warning

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi glocal,

Please make sure that you are right clicking the link with something other than the Link Tool:
Screen-shot.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

For your second question:

If you really like to switch off the security warning while clicking onto a hyperlink in PDF-XChange Editor, then
click the Edit-menu > Preferences > Security, and at "When document trying to open a site", select 'Allow it'.

See PrtScrn in attachment.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Security settings.zip
(273.97 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Thank you for the help!

@glocal, thanks for the questions.
You can disable the warning using Willy's suggestion, but please be mindful of the consequences of clicking on the wrong link :)

Regards,
Radi
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

Will, I see the Open/Copy menu works with the Hand tool, but not the Select tool. If you can click on a link while using the Select tool, it should offer the Open/Copy options in the menu as well.

Thanks Willy for the tip. One thing is not clear though. Does 'Allow it' for "When document trying to open a site" mean that a document can open a site without the use clicking on a link? If yes, then we have a problem and there should be separate security setting for clicked-on links only. Also, can the author of the document make the tooltip show a fake URL? If yes, that would be a security risk.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Concerning your question directed to me, I suppose that - in a PDF-file opened in PDF-XChange Editor - there are two ways to open a link to a (web)site:
1) manually, by clicking (consciously, by yourself) on a hyperlink that is on a word, text or picture;
2) automatically, by the execution of a JavaScript action that is included in the PDF.
Via Edit > Preferences > JavaScript, you can find the option to Enable/Disable JavaScript actions.

I do NOT know, if the Security setting "When document trying to open a site" is valid for "both" cases.

Let's count on Tracker Support to give us an answer to this question.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts - I'll answer each point in turn.
Will, I see the Open/Copy menu works with the Hand tool, but not the Select tool. If you can click on a link while using the Select tool, it should offer the Open/Copy options in the menu as well.
Thanks for bringing that to our attention, I wasn't aware of that. I'll forward that onto the Dev. Team, as it was a feature in the Viewer.
Thanks Willy for the tip. One thing is not clear though. Does 'Allow it' for "When document trying to open a site" mean that a document can open a site without the use clicking on a link? If yes, then we have a problem and there should be separate security setting for clicked-on links only. Also, can the author of the document make the tooltip show a fake URL? If yes, that would be a security risk.
Links can be opened when the document is, via a JavaScript, but you will likely not have visited that site before, so you will still be prompted with the 'Do you want to open this link' message. Also, JavaScript actions can be disabled under Edit --> Preferences --> JavaScript.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Sorry Will to bother you again with a few additional questions, because your answer was not yet completely clear to me.

Must we suppose that, when a particular link is going to be opened "for the first time" via JavaScript, we will (still) get a warning and a question to allow it or not (even if the "... open a site" option is already set to "Allow it") ?

And so, if we confirm to allow it, then "the next time" we will get no more warning for that particular site ?

Logically, I would suppose, that the concerning link will be add to the list of Trusted Locations (in the Security settings).
Is that so ?

Thanks again.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Willy,

Thanks for the email. When manually clicking on a link, the three options in Edit-->Preferences-->Security are respected. Could you please provide a sample JavaScript that displays the issue where the Editor is still requiring that a link be trusted for it to open via JS automatically?

Thanks!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Unfortunately, I can not provide you with an example of such a PDF.

I was just wondering if you people at Tracker Software can tell us how PDF-XChange Editor is going to act in the given circumstances. I am not asking this for myself, but for all people interested in this subject and reading this forum.

If I was able to check this for myself, I would not ask it :-)

Maybe it is rather a question for your developers team...
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Understandable!
Maybe it is rather a question for your developers team...
I suspect you are right. I will bring this up in the next general meeting, then post back here with the consensus.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello again,

I managed to create an example file myself with a classic hyperlink and a hyperlink via a JavaScript.

So, I was able to check and test different scenarios.

1) Situation where "JavaScript Actions" are enabled/disabled (via Edit > Preferences > JavaScript).
Here it seems that I have to close and restart the Editor, after I have changed settings.
If not, there is no change in behavior.
I do not know if it is possible for your development team to change this and to make that changes in the JavaScript options are immediatly effective ? If not, then add a warning in the dialogbox that Editor must be restarted.

2) Behavior when clicking on the hyperlink for JavaScript action: to go to the Tracker Software website while the option "When document trying to open website" is set to "Allow it".
In this case there is NO warning.
When the option is set to "Use trusted/untrusted list", you get the question to open (Yes or No) the site, and the option to remember your choice. If you check the box, then the site is add to the list.

Regards.
Attachments
Hyperlinks in PDF-XChange Editor.zip
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the post and test!
1) Situation where "JavaScript Actions" are enabled/disabled (via Edit > Preferences > JavaScript).
Here it seems that I have to close and restart the Editor, after I have changed settings.
If not, there is no change in behavior.
I do not know if it is possible for your development team to change this and to make that changes in the JavaScript options are immediatly effective ? If not, then add a warning in the dialogbox that Editor must be restarted.
That doesn't seem like the correct behaviour to me. These changes should take hold immediately, though they will not be saved, permanently, to the registry until the application has been closed. I'll investigate further here and, if I can reproduce, I'll pass that along to see what can be done.
2) Behavior when clicking on the hyperlink for JavaScript action: to go to the Tracker Software website while the option "When document trying to open website" is set to "Allow it".
In this case there is NO warning.
When the option is set to "Use trusted/untrusted list", you get the question to open (Yes or No) the site, and the option to remember your choice. If you check the box, then the site is add to the list.
That's the correct behaviour here. It depends upon the options set in the Security section of the Preferences and whether or not the site has been added to your Trusted/Untrusted list already. By default, I believe that the Editor is set to use the Trusted/Untrusted list.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for your reaction Will.

I wonder if you did see that I did put a test-PDF in attachment (Hyperlinks in PDF-XChange Editor.zip) ?
That file has not been downloaded yet.

When changing JavaScript-options while that file is open, you can easily check the behavior.
Only when restarting the Editor after changes, they become effective.
I can only tell you what I see with my own eyes.

At my opinion, you should be able to reproduce this by using my example PDF.

Kind regards and thanks for your time.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Sorry, I'd missed the attachment. I'm using a darker skin for the forums and attachments sometimes get lost in the darkness of it all..... It may be time to change the skin I'm using :wink:

I've taken a look at the file and I do see the same thing. I'll speak with the Dev. Team and will see if this is by design and, if so, if it can be changed, or if it is a bug.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Looks like this is a bug. I've created a ticket for the issue (RT-3173) - we should have this fixed for build 314/315.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:
Thanks for bringing that to our attention, I wasn't aware of that. I'll forward that onto the Dev. Team, as it was a feature in the Viewer.
Just in case this was simply missed out, this feature (Open/Copy link as context menu options with the Select tool) is not there yet.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi glocal,

Thanks for the post - are you using build 316? If not, please do download and install the update below, as this is working here, for me:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

I am using 316 and it's not working. I think there's been a misunderstanding. It's always worked with the Hand tool (which is selected in your screenshot). The request is about enabling this for every tool where the user can click on a link (eg the Select Tool). The idea is that if you can click on the link, the context menu should offer the option to copy the link as well.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi glocal,

Sorry for that, it's still early for me :oops: I'll speak with the Dev. Team later to see if this can be added in time for the next release.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
btz
User

Post by btz »

Still no news about this? Also the select tool should present "Copy URL".
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi btz,

I'm afraid not - I'll see if this can be looked at for 321, but can't make any guarantees.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)