Feat Req:Full Screen Horizontal Zoom and smoothness of zooms

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jobijobah
User

Feat Req:Full Screen Horizontal Zoom and smoothness of zooms

Post by Jobijobah »

Hello Dear Dev Team,

Could You Pu-leaaaase provide a FULL SCREEN HORIZONTAL SCROLLING viewing possibility?

Also, an two very longtime needed features that users have been requesting:

-- SMOooooTH zooming and Scrolling (no hiccups, no steps, with a light acceleration/deceleration effect (not unlike in prezi presentations).

-- A multipage mode (for the vertical scrolling mode) with more than two pages width), especially when you think of the recent ultra-wide 21:9 monitor craze.

(that last feature can be palliated by printing a multipage of the pdf into one huge pdf, and scrolling/zooming at will inside it, but still quite tedious)

I'll assure you that you'll make so many already happy users of PDF -Xchange pretty much ecstatic.

###*** thank you ***###
Jobijobah
User

Re: Feat Req:Full Screen Horizontal Zoom and smoothness of z

Post by Jobijobah »

Also,

could it be possible when using the horizontal scrolling, to have two or more stacked rows of pages?

(very useful when zooming out very much, to quickly find a section of the document, then the single page can be switched back for reading purpose)

Here is an illustration (with the current single row, which makes it a bit tedious to find the page):

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

+1 for this brilliant request.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

Have you tried using the thumbnails pane for the purpose of having two (or more) rows of pages shown at the same time for navigation. Please see the attached screenshot - you can zoom in and out the thumbnails quite a lot - making the images as large or small as needed and fitting as many side by side as you want.
You can also make that thumbnails pane floating.

I know it's not a solution for full screen viewing on an ultrawide monitor - but could still help with other scenarios.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
thumbnails.zip
(252.46 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

Not Bad!! (especially one could put that pane on another monitor...)

but it is still too slow and unintuitive for a few reasons:

1- When using the horiz scroll view, the thumbnail is still in vertic view.. irkks

2- No Ctrl+mouswheel function in the thumbnail view, which adds to the un-inuitiveness of things

3- Wasted space in thumbnail view in between thumbnails

4- Still using screen realestate that , unless in a multimonitor config, hinders the reading of the document (a bit tedious to ctrl-T off and on...)

5- overall time-consuming useless feature for visual thinkers and people who have TON of information to skim and search thru (think med students, doctors..)

Why not implement A NEW VIEWING MODE!!

> fullscreen view, no fuss around
> adaptive stacking of rows easily configurable (one, two, three, or as many as fittable)
> instant text-searching by just typing a word and pink highlighting of all pages where that word appears (and when zoomed enough, the whole page un-highlights and only the words are highlighted)

And Pliiiiz, can you do something about this uber-annoyingnesslessness, which is that when the page is not puurfectly fitting in the page, then mouswheel SCROLLS UP/DOWN! !!! :'(

And with screens with only 1080 pix vert. trust me those few mm of zooming make a world of difference when it comes to character readability while still fitting the whole pages's text at once.

Bests,

jj
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Jobijobah wrote:Why not implement A NEW VIEWING MODE!!

> adaptive stacking of rows easily configurable (one, two, three, or as many as fittable)
> instant text-searching by just typing a word and pink highlighting of all pages where that word appears (and when zoomed enough, the whole page un-highlights and only the words are highlighted)
+1 for the even more brilliant details of this request :)

I do something similar in Word at times, like maximizing the Word window over three monitors, and then fitting a whole document in the window, in in order to visualize and oversee where everything actually is in that document:

Cheers
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

Thank you David for the support! ^^

I see your point!
great indeed if you have multiple monitors !

If I may add yet ANOTHER REQUEST to the team of tracker software:

would it be possible to accelerate rendering via directX or opengl?

jj
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

accelerate rendering
...in the already fastest PDF software in the world?

Well, if it should be doable... :)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts!

Regarding the rendering speed - I don't believe that using a 3rd party library for rendering would be a good idea, as any bugs that are encountered would not be fixable by us. Even if the library was open source (such as OpenGL), we do not have the resources to look through 10's of 1000's (if not 100's of 1000's) of lines of code written by someone else, in an attempt to learn how it works well enough to fix an issue. I will put the suggestion to the Dev. Team, but I suspect that they will feel the same way.
Why not implement A NEW VIEWING MODE!!

The idea of a new viewing mode, such as that, is certainly interesting. I will put this to the Dev. Team too, but if they feel it reasonable, it's likely to be a very long term request, as it would require an immense amount of work to implement.

There are quite a number of requests in this thread, so I'll address only the above for now and will come back to the others. In the future, when making multiple requests or when reporting multiple bugs, it's preferred that you post each request in its own thread, as we're less likely to lose to track.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

I take my time to make what I think are great suggestions for you to improve your product and make even more potential money.... and you waterdown my suggestions telling me i make too many and i should start new threads etc...

you Sir are dreaming.

I have no time for that, and if your developers have no time to read my thread or contact me directly, then too bad for you but it denotes of certain rigidity of mind

in essence i am truly MOSTLY asking for a FULL SCREEN MODE WITH HORIZONTAL SCROLLING
it would EXTREMELY EASY to change the code for that

but since you seem to assert the contrary i'm now contemplating coding my own pdf viewer in javascript

so, thanks for that motivation, i guess
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Great - we look forward to seeing your results. Good luck.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

Ok I found the solution!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

a way to go ***almost*** fulscreen by hiding the large windows title bar and leaving just a very thin band,
(for anyone interested in this)

1.go in the preference>documents>tabs>setup> check hide tab bar when one doc is opened

2.make sure to remove all toolbars (top and bottom) and press F9 to remove the menus

3. download autohotkeys
https://autohotkey.com/

2. edit the AHK script and put this inside:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
^!f::
WinGetTitle, currentWindow, A
IfWinExist %currentWindow%
{
WinSet, Style, ^0xC00000 ; toggle title bar
WinMove, , , 0, 0, 1920, 1080
}
return
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

now you can use ctrl+alt+F to toggle the windows title bar on/off

(thanks you to this guy:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... n-any-game)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Cool. Show us a screenshot!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jobijobah,

Lovely solution! Thanks for sharing it here!

Just a note to anyone else trying this - the values in the AHK script should be adjusted to match the resolution of your monitor if it's anything other than 1920x1080 :)

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Looks like a great way to study a PDF document without distraction.
One could even have Thumbnails or Bookmarks at one side.
Cheers David.P
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Indeed you can!

Cheers!
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

I found another way!!! (two pages height!!)

quiz: how did I do it?
answer:
1. turn on continuous scrolling (single or double ) ,
2. rotate all the pages CW90°
3. switch your display to portrait view.
4. physically rotate your mouse 90° in your hand !!! :mrgreen:

granted, it's a bit piraty and the order of pages is bottom-up but still... getting closer .....
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

your most welcome Will and sorry for my grumpy mood yesterday .

as an illustration, of a nice immersive view

Here is an html5 SVG solution, that is fast , by IDR solution

first off, f11 to fullscreen,
then SHIFT+mousewheel for scrolling (only in chrome, not firefox) and CTRL+mousewheel for zooming

http://files.idrsolutions.com/HTMLViewM ... ingle.html

(source https://blog.idrsolutions.com/2013/02/n ... ing-modes/
https://www.idrsolutions.com/jpdf2html5/support/)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No problem :)

I do agree that would be a nice view for reading large documents or books. Looks to represent a more natural flow. I'll certainly put this forward at our meeting :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Further above in this topic someone was requesting:
Ctrl+mouswheel function in the thumbnail view.
I am just posting here to let you know that this will be available from next build.

We believe there might be a separate topic requesting specifically this - so if anyone else remembers that other topic (I could not find it) - can you please post there as well so that the poster there also gets notified?!

Thanks,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

It was me who posted the request in my "Things I miss in Editor" thread. ;)

Here is how you can use full-screen Ribbon layout (sideways scrolling) without having to mess with Autohotkey:

- Set a keyboard shortcut for switching View -> Page Layout -> Single/Continuous/Two Pages/Two Pages Continuous. I am using Alt-1/2/3/4

- Set a keyboard shortcut for View -> Page Layout -> Ribbon Mode. I am using ALT-R.

- Go to full-screen mode, press shortcut for Two Pages Continuous (ALT-4 for me). Press shortcut for Ribbon mode (ALT-R for me).

- There will be a gap between each double-page. Press CTRL-SHIFT-G to close the gap (only works once to close the gap in fullscreen mode, switches gap on/off in non-fullscreen, likely a bug). If you like to have gaps between each single page then you need to use one page continuous mode instead.

I mentioned it in another thread, this would all be easier if Editor would allow to display the menus and/or toolbar via shortcut, just like Viewer always did.

Set zoom to whatever size you prefer and enjoy using the mouse-wheel for horizontal scrolling through the pages. And just to mention it, Editor also allows to scroll horizontally when the document is larger than the screen. Hold down Shift while using the mouse-wheel to scroll horizontally (I have set up a button for CTRL and Shift respectively on my mouse for one-hand operation).
Last edited by Timur Born on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Concerning Autohotkey:

I deleted my script on accident, but you can have AHK read out the current screen resolution and then automatically switch a window to fullscreen borderless size. I did exactly that with a script where I would WIN-Click on a window to switch it back and forth.

And if you are somewhat fluent in AHK you can hack together a script that allow the following view to be scrolled via mouse-wheel.

The view is done by using Editor's split view. Then you need a script that does a number of wheel-clicks over Editor's page number box (each click = 1 page). In my example I would need 5 clicks on both the upper and lower page number box to make the both split windows switch pages. Alternative the script would send wheel-clicks to both the upper and lower split window to make both scroll somewhat smoothly.

That being said: I would very much appreciate an option in Editor (or rather keyboard + wheel shortcut, maybe alt+wheel) to make split windows and/or tab groups scroll in unison. With tab groups it would be useful for comparing files side-by-side.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Last, but not least: I support to get a mode that shows more than two pages continuously.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Timur,

Thanks for the posts.
I will not post in the other topic about the Ctrl+mouswheel in the thumbnail view - to keep the forums tidier :)

Glad to hear you managed to get the Editor to display your files in the way you needed it. Simultaneous scrolling/comparison feature is planned and will be added in the future - but I do not have exact date for now.

More than two pages side by side (e.g. 3), without switching to ribbon layout - on a wider screen would indeed be nice, but I am not sure whether those page modes are not defined in the PDF Specification itself, so will need to check. Have you tried using the thumbnails pane as an alternative? If you expand it and zoom in the pages there - you could achieve a similar result to the desired one.

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

The thumbnail pane can be useful, but it's somewhat awkward to use/manage and does indeed "waste" much space when thumbnails are small. A Ribbon mode that automatically switches to more than one row when zoom gets small would indeed be a good addition.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Timur Born wrote:A Ribbon mode that automatically switches to more than one row when zoom gets small would indeed be a good addition.
I agree, and shall add that this would also be useful in normal continuous view mode:

This would be similar to the behavior of Microsoft Word (when set to show multiple pages and then zooming in and out):

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

David, did you check my guide on how to get fullscreen mode to show Ribbon behavior (without need for Autohotkey)?
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just tried it: this is pretty awesome.

It does not scroll totally smooth however, which probably is related to the flickering gaps problem.

Let's hope that this gets resolved soon.

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro