Page numbering with increment

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

slaviŠa neŠiĆ
User

Page numbering with increment

Post by slaviŠa neŠiĆ »

Hi,

Is it possible to number pages with increment different than 1? A lot of material get scanned with two physical pages per one PDF page. How can I number pages 1, 3, 5, ...?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Page numbering with increment

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello slaviŠa neŠiĆ,

I am afraid that it's not directly possible through the Document -> Bates Numbering feature.

It might be possible to add e.g. annotations at the lower left corner of each page using this JS code:

Code: Select all

for (var i = 0; i < this.numPages; i++){
  this.addAnnot({
    page: i,
    type: "FreeText",
    author: "YourNameHere",
    rect: [36,36,120,50],
    width: 0,
    contents: "Page: " + (2*i+1) + " of " + (2*this.numPages),    
  })
}
To execute the above, open the Editor, and the file you would like to number, then press Ctrl-J. This will open the JS console. Copy the above in it, and hit the run button.

Regards,
Stefan
slaviŠa neŠiĆ
User

Post by slaviŠa neŠiĆ »

Thanks, Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to assist slaviŠa,

The coordinates of the rectangle specify the position of that text on the page - 36 will be 1/2 an inch in most PDF documents (most of them use 72 points per inch for their internal dimensions), so the above code will place the text with the bottom left corner 1/2 an inch up and left from the bottom left corner of the page.
You should change the Author text as well.

Cheers,
Stefan
slaviŠa neŠiĆ
User

Post by slaviŠa neŠiĆ »

As I see it is possible to add page increment numbering with annotations as you explained, but...

The basic point in numbering pages as I would understand is
1) jump to a page number ^Shift N
2) connection of contents table to the document pages.

Very few people only browse pdf. The majority are switching between Contents table and appropriate pages. That is because the contemporary pdf electronic archives are HUGE and everybody uses Contents whenever there is one.

If the increment page feature is not implemented in document/numbering of multiple pages scanned document, we actually lost the very basic navigation through document because we cannot switch between Content item and the corresponding page.

All that is needed is a new field in Document/numbering dialog window with the "increment" label. What do you think about this?
Cheers,
Slavisa
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Slavisa,

Thanks for the post - Hopefully I haven't misunderstood, but it seems as though you may be looking for what are called Page Labels. These can be added by right clicking on any page in the Thumbnails Pane, and selecting the Number Pages feature:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe6 ... es_ed.html

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

I think this was implemented. See example PDF here:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 62&t=27407

What doesn't happen though is consistent logical page numbers across all panes (eg bookmarks).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi glocal,

The feature request for logical numbering in other panes is in, so it will be reviewed within the next build or two.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com